Sponsored by:

blower motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Mark Preus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blower motor replacement

Found out my weak ac problem is the blower motor on the driver side of the firewall. It doesnt work. All fuses and relays are good. I already ordered a new blower motor and am gonna pick it up in the morning. Is this hard to change out? Anyone done this and have any tips? Thanks in advance
Old 06-03-2011, 07:42 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't recall if you can replace it without removing the fuel tank and pulling the complete HVAC unit out. That does take a lot of work and if you do, you should consider replacing the evaporator and expansion valve and temp probe while you are there.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:16 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Preus
Found out my weak ac problem is the blower motor on the driver side of the firewall. It doesnt work. All fuses and relays are good. I already ordered a new blower motor and am gonna pick it up in the morning. Is this hard to change out? Anyone done this and have any tips? Thanks in advance
Do a search, there are many very good DIY threads on this repair.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:44 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I think this is the best post for replacing the blower motors>>

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ront-dash.html

I just did this job, so I'll add some comments later today.

You'll need a small torx screwdriver and two hack saw blades as the post describes.

Does your new motor include the fan?
Old 06-03-2011, 09:02 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a PITA. I would recommend lubing the other side while you are in there. A helper when Putting the firewall back in is always good too.

Anyone seen the two used ones over on Pelican? I'd be tempted to get them as replacements but I've spent too much money lately.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Mark Preus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mojorizing
I think this is the best post for replacing the blower motors>>

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ront-dash.html

I just did this job, so I'll add some comments later today.

You'll need a small torx screwdriver and two hack saw blades as the post describes.

Does your new motor include the fan?
Thanks illl look for your comments later
Old 06-04-2011, 06:24 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The following are a few things to consider in addition to what’s mentioned in the post I referred to:

1) Disconnect the battery. You don’t have to remove the hood, but cover both fenders with a towel because you’ll be leaning over them to do this job.
2) You need to remove the gas tank expansion tank – not a big deal – a few hoses/bolts/spacers.
3) You’ll need to unbolt the blower final stage aluminum heat sink from the fire wall – 2 bolts there.
4) You’ll need to remove the bolts holding the fire wall to the frame – 3 bolts on the left side and couple on the right. You’ll need to remove the fuse box from the fire wall pan – use a second person to suspend the fuse box as you’ll need to disconnect and remove a wire that passes thru the pan below the fuse box. There’s a second wire that passes thru the firewall on the left side. Gently remove the fire wall once everything is clear – be careful not to knick any of the exposed wires even though the firewall is rubber lined in way of the fuse box.
5) For the left side blower, remove the bracket holding the A/C lines – these will deflect a little so you can pass the plastic fan housing, etc. Once the fan is exposed , you’ll find 2 torx screws behind the fan that are diametrically opposite each other. The fan has a hole or slot in it that you line up to back out and remove these screws. Tape off a section of the hacksaw blades to use as a handle and stick each one back thru a slot in the fan housing. You’re trying to bend a tab that is latching the fan/motor to the A/C plenum. It’ll stick in the slot about 5 inches or so then get hard – it needs to go about ½ inch in at this point. These go at 12 and 6 o’clock position. The fan needs to be wiggled/pulled out at this point – I used a pair of pliers to pull on the plastic fan hub – pulling on the fan by hand wasn’t enough. The fan/motor should slide out – feed wire thru the side to pull the fan/motor out further – there’s about 10 inches of excess wire to be able to do this. There’s also a rectangular rubber grommet that seals the suction side of the fan from the discharge side internally as the wire passes thru it – be sure you get this remounted correctly when you put things back together.
6) Do to the right side blower refer to this post for oiling the bearings….

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ice-970-a.html

7) Going back together is easy, but use an extra person to suspend and clear the fuse box as you re-install the firewall.

Hopefully these points help you out, and feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: blower motor replacement