964 track car

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:21 PM
turbo3.6
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 964 track car

Hi Guys,

I usually hang out on the 964 turbo forum but I am looking to buy a track car and wanted to get your collective expert opinions on the following car I found on the PCA site. It's a 1990 C2 described by the owner as follows:

1990 911 C2 DE Track Car, Grand Prix White, Tan Interior, 146K Miles, Engine Rebuilt at 107K, Race Suspension Installed at 131K, Transmission Rebuilt at 140K, Bilstein shocks, Eibach Springs, Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Quaife Differential, New Clutch, Cat Bypass, Primary Muffler Bypass, Cold Air Intake, Fiberglass RS America Wing, Sparco Seat, Harness Bar, 1 Set 17" Rims w/ Street Tires, 2 Sets 16" Rims for Track Tires, Work Performed by Bob Hindson Racing.

This was his reply to some additional questions I asked:

I am the third owner of the car. I took the Sparco seat and harness bar out the car about a year ago when I stopped going to the track. I still have them they are just not installed.

I put in RS America door panels to make room for the Sparco seat. The shocks are 964 RSR Bilstein Threaded Coil Overs, the best non-adjustable shock absorber. The springs are 2.5" Ebach's and I think they are 475lb rate in the rear and 400lb rate in the front. The rear wing is from MA Shaw. It has a Quaif racing differential and a new clutch. The cat bypass and primary muffler bypass are Fabspeed. I was setting the car up to go PCA club racing and tried to put the best equipment on the car. The car is very balanced on the track with the 16" wheels on track tires. The only things that I know that don't work are the air conditioner and the cruise control. I think the air just needs to be charged but I don't know because it was primarily a track car. The paint is in good condition for a car with 146,000 miles on it. There are a couple of small dents on the front bumper and right rear quarter panel. I have enjoyed the car for over 10 years and it is phenomenal on the track but I just don't have the time to hit the track anymore. Attached are more pictures.

The car is in the Kansas City area. Asking price is $19,000. Anyone happen to know this car?

I've heard good and bad things regarding 964s as track cars, most of the bad from guys that I think are biased against post '88 911s.

I'd appreciate any comments...

Thanks,

Greg
Attached Images       
Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

All looks good... If your happy, go see the car, check the history all ads up and most importantly get a comprehensive PPI...
Old 05-23-2011, 08:33 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For some odd reason, I get an iffy feeling.

Set up for PCA club racing with a harness bar? Too many unknowns here...
Old 05-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 523 Posts

First off - these make great track cars (I am somewhat biased here). Looks like a nice clean car. All you would need is:

- Add Roll bar
- Add Heater bypass
- Remove the a/c
- Remove knee pad with glove compartment
- Get rid of the airbags
- 930S Steering Wheel (?)

and you'd be good to go. Plus .... white is fastest!

Get a comprehensive PPI
Old 05-24-2011, 04:57 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a good starting point but it looks to be riding rather high considering that the seller says that it has been set up with 'race suspension'? Having the ride height and geo checked and set properly is key to how a 964 performs on track. And it will perform far better on track if you use the 17s rather than the 16s.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,132 Likes on 1,280 Posts

You need more info.

Too many vague answers. I am not aware of Eibach making 2.5" coils for our cars and the spring rates seem wrong especially for RSR shocks. The stance of the car is not set up for track. You need to find out who did all the wok which is extensive. Have him send you pictures of all the components and copies of the rebuild work.

A full PPI by a qualified 964 mechanic is a must for these cars. You will enjoy the 964 as a track car. Not fast compared to the newer cars but a challenge to drive properly and when you do it is amazing what you can pass.

Look long and deep into every aspect of this car if you plan on buying it for track use. Good luck I hope it works out.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Cobalt has a nicely set up 964 for track, so he knows what it takes. This car sounds like a car that was being set up for DE in addition to street use. I have done/doing similar things to my wife's car because she drives it on the street and takes it to DEs. The compromise it that a pure track 964 should be lower and need a lot higher spring rate. Just because you through a harness and track seats in the car and add camber plates, it is not a well set up DE car. It still sounds like a nice car if the PPI and rebuilt documentation look good. Expect $5-10K (not all needed at once) to turn it into a fast DE car. Twice that if you go racing.

BTW, PCA CR does not require a cage out of the box. I think you can do 4 races with a role bar. Until this year, you had to maintain the interior.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 PM
P-nache
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact JR944. I think he checked this one out a couple of months ago.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:01 PM
turbo3.6
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys,

Thanks for all the input. It looks like I have missed out on this one. The seller took a deposit and hopes to close by Friday.

I'm looking at a '85 Carrera back dated to a '74 RSR by the former owner of GT Racing. High miles but appears solid. Waiting on some more info.

Greg

Quick Reply: 964 track car