Sponsored by:

Help with Gauge Faceplates and Sunroof, please

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:16 PM
cindywxb
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Gauge Faceplates and Sunroof, please

Years in the hot Florida sun and not garaged has trashed my speedo dial and also the oil temp/pressure gauge faceplate. I have looked around and see that Palo Alto Speedometer has replacement faceplates in the $150 range. Also, possible to DIY for an old gal. Of course, becomes much more expensive if I screw up . . .

1. Has anyone used this company and can you recommend, and
2. does anyone have any better ideas?

These two gauges make me nuts looking at when I drive. So do my faded taillights and reflector, but I signed up to participate in the group buy on the other thread. Big driving buzz kills to look so shabby, especially since going to a store always involves big chats in the parking lots about how cool the car is. I mean, who doesn't love a Guards Red Porsche????

Finally, took to the local car wash (Porsche owner owns the wash) and they trashed the felt weather strip on the sunroof. What to do????

Thanks guys and I appreciate this forum with such an obvious wealth of knowledge available. Again, please forgive if this has all been covered before ad nauseum.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I have not used these guys, but they have been mentioned several times on the forum.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Donno about them I have only ever used North Hollywood Spedo.

It's a PROJECT! but you can replace the sunroof "velvets" and seal.

You just have to pull the roof out and get the deflector off. Clean off all the old junk and reglue new velvets and seal with 3M weather strip adhesive.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Many years ago a local newspaper had a poll and one of the questions was Best Carwash

The best answer: My driveway with a bucket..

Please dont tell me you took your Pcar through an automatic car wash!

I hand wash mine year around and we have wicked winters here!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:28 PM
cindywxb
6th Gear

Default Car Wash

Right you are about the bucket and sponge in your own driveway. I know better. But in my defense (really not defendable), the car wash owner advertises in our local PClub magazine, has a Boxster S, GT3 and a 997. I dropped it off for gas and the works and now my sunroof is trashed. Your incredulous reply is nothing compared to what my husband is going to say once he gets back from his business trip. I want to be two counties away.

But back to the point. I need to fix this problem BEFORE he gets home. I am handy, mechanical and I have an AMEX that can get me any part from anywhere STAT. Any recommendations on where to get the felt piece - and does it come with the little plastic thingy in it?

Yes, I am blonde. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

All is forgivemn I thought a guy took his car to the car wash (doesnt matter if you are blonde or not)

Anyhow Pelican parts sells the seals (no affiliation) , long and short Part numbers #911 564 193 00 (Short) and
911 564 191 00 (Long)...the come ready to glue in... set runs under $50 bucks..as Makmov says use 3M Weatherstrip adhesive (Black) available at most auto parts stores, I dont know about the installation ...if it involves roof removal I think you better talk to the car wash owner..
I would think the owner of the car wash is responsible
Old 05-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+ 1 Pelican parts

Should do the rear flat seal at the same time. 901-564-905-05-M100

Oh yeah, even if you had the part in your hand it wouldn't be fix soon. It takes a couple few hours to take the roof apart, clean it up proper and reinstall the seals. And sometimes first timers have to do it over once before getting it right.

I just did mine and it was 4 or 5 hours to do the entire opperation. That is how long it takes if you take your time and do it right.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
I would think the owner of the car wash is responsible...
Usually car wash owners won't take responsibility for anything, but since he is active in the P-community, I would approach him first, mentioning that you feel it is your duty to make everyone in the local P-community aware of how his carwash trashed your sunroof. Unless of course he fixes it now.

However, most car wash owners don't get to have a stable of Porsches by paying damage claims. Best of luck, but if you want to get it done fast and correctly it may be worth it to bite the bullet and have it done by a local Porsche indy. Just sayin' Pay now or Pay later.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:07 PM
cindywxb
6th Gear

1. will order all the parts from Pelican. Thanks guys; 2. will pray for no rain; 3. will seek mercy and forgiveness from husband (hoping he has not read this thread while out of town); and 4. will schedule entire weekend day to deal with.

In the event #3 fails, I think I will also check the local cemetery to see if I can be buried in my beloved red sled (the one with the leaky sunroof, faded taillights and flaky speedo dial).

Last edited by cindywxb; 05-23-2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Im blonde and can't type

Quick Reply: Help with Gauge Faceplates and Sunroof, please