964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about the vacuum reservoir???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005 | 05:56 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Default Question about the vacuum reservoir???

What happens when you unhook the vacuum reservoir? P/N 964.110.140.00

I was in my engine bay (still trying to get the fuel filter off) and I accidentally pulled a hose off of the vacuum reservoir. I heard air rush out/in, so I'm just making sure I didn't do anything crazy.

What is this thing's function anyway? (Besides storing vacuum) Since my airbox is out and I use a cone filter instead, this reservoir is just sort of sitting there by itself near the power steering pump. I'm sure I can't/shouldn't take it off, but I'd like to since it looks crappy just sitting there. It doesn't look very important so I thought I'd ask. Apologies in advance for my ignorance.

Thanx again
-Harry
Old 08-23-2005 | 06:07 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Harry what is the purpose of any reservoir?
I strongly recommend you do not disconnect and remove this vacuum reservoir because your engine will not like you for it.
Its purpose in life is to ensure that the systems which require a vacuum such as the carbon cannister do not suck the life out of your engine.
It balances the loads placed upon the inlet manifold by the vacuum operated systems.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 08-23-2005 | 08:36 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Adrian
Harry what is the purpose of any reservoir?
I strongly recommend you do not disconnect and remove this vacuum reservoir because your engine will not like you for it.
Its purpose in life is to ensure that the systems which require a vacuum such as the carbon cannister do not suck the life out of your engine.
It balances the loads placed upon the inlet manifold by the vacuum operated systems.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Adrian,

Thank you for chiming in and telling me what exactly it does. I ended up using a zip-tie to secure it to the passenger side intake manifold since I couldn't find a better place for it.

I thought I'd ask since it wasn't in your book.

Thanks again,
Harry
Old 08-24-2005 | 03:47 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Nope wasn't in the book. Somethings are best not explained just left alone, that is one of them. There are others.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 08-25-2005 | 01:39 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Hiya Adrian
I remember that the jerks would not let you include some info in your book , asked you to leave some info out . Dangerous data . Any chance that we could get access to the rest of the story ?
Underground bootleg cd ?
Old 08-25-2005 | 02:58 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

The vacuum reservoir stores vac for the resonance flap operation and ,if you have the option, operate the level adjustable headlights .Thats it .

Headlight diaphrams splitting is the common cause of vacuum loss leading to loss of top end motor performance!!!!!!!!!!!

Geoff
Old 05-23-2011 | 05:31 PM
nvrlft
Instructor

Ok so I have just bumped into this weird piece while replacing the airbox with an EVO cone filter. The reservoir appears to be permanently attached, or at least nested to the OEM airbox. I didn't think I disconnected anything (hoses etc). How do I reattach the Reservoir to the new airbox assembly? using the funny metal bracket that came in the box? The one that isn't mentioned in the instructions?
Old 05-23-2011 | 06:28 PM
nvrlft
Instructor

I yanked the filter assembly off, poked around and found the airhose, or a reasonable facsimile. I wrestled the bracket onto the outer part of the EVO plastic air intake and reassembled as before.

I hate doing things twice. Never a dull moment in DIY land. Only lost one washer. Thankfully it is small.

Quick Reply: Question about the vacuum reservoir???