Sponsored by:

Hawk's Monday post

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:09 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hawk's Monday post

well, I did actually do some Porsche work, even if it was about an hours worth... vacuumed the carpets where I had drilled out the rivets, put the new seal onto the re-welded support piece, and figured out I need some new bolts. I'll be calling Sunset later today. Also, the passenger side piece covering the cab top transmission/speaker is cracked. Any one have ideas on either gluing it back together or supporting the crack somehow? I'm sure a new piece will be a few hundred, and then I still have to use the old carpet so it matches the rest of the car. The new piece looks like it's already covered in carpet.

Not much else- it was a rainy crappy weekend.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:09 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What's rain?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:41 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I'll keep the rain over the tornadoes and crap you get down there!
Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

We got rain also...didn't seem to slow the guys down on the track too much!
Attached Images     
Old 05-16-2011, 01:48 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I went to a picnic on Saturday and finally got the boat out on the water. It was pretty windy so the lake was rough. We saw about a 1/2 dozen gators on the lake yet people were skiing right on by them.
It took me all day yesterday and 3 trips to Home D to replace the shower valve in my master bath. Now i have a big hole in the wall. looks like I am going to have to do the remodel on the shower that i have been putting off for years.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Had a busy day in the garage on Saturday working on my friend's Chevy Tahoe. We changed the tranny fluid. What a message job. Would be much simpler if they put a drain plug on the pan. Discovered that the transverse case has a separate oil reservoir. Changed that too. Meanwhile, changed all the front steering tie rods and associated bits. It went surprising well. No heavy rust on the bolts or nuts.

Sat night, went to a friends surprise 50th birthday. Fortunately, we finished in the garage with just enough time to get there before the guest of honor.

Sunday was a relaxing morning. In the afternoon, my GF and I took the 964 for a 2 hour drive. She drove. She hasn't driven it much and will be going to her first autocross next Sunday. After a while, she relaxed (for some weird reason, she thinks I'm in love with the car). By the end of the trip, she was doing very well. She had found a comfortable seating position and was used to the clutch pedal.

Sunday night, grilled a steak on the BBQ and watched the Clint Eastwood movie "Gran Torino". I would recommend it for anyone who hasn't seen it.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:04 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Rob, my wife has driven the car once in 6 seasons now. She doesn't like the clutch- can you believe it??? More seat time for me, but I really want her to love the car as much as I do.

Gran Torino was a great movie, too
Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
What's rain?

Hello neighbor!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:01 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I ordered 5 bolts from Sunset to replace the ones on the driver's side. One bolt was bent funny, so I figured since they are all out, let's just replace them all. Crap- $60 for the lot of 'em!!! Can you imagine a full restoration with ALL new hardware?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:12 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Monday for me was a visit to Disney Studios to do some discovery work in advance of a big tech project. The weekend had no P-car content... just the flight back from Sydney... which made for the longest Saturday I've ever had... Woke up in Sydney, went to bed in PDX, still on the same day, nearly 40 hours later...
Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Tom, what's your day job???
Old 05-19-2011, 11:56 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tbennett017
Monday for me was a visit to Disney Studios to do some discovery work in advance of a big tech project. The weekend had no P-car content... just the flight back from Sydney... which made for the longest Saturday I've ever had... Woke up in Sydney, went to bed in PDX, still on the same day, nearly 40 hours later...
Did you meet my son Paul at Disney? He was an animator, but he's been in "Story" for the past few years, developing story lines and characters.

(There's obviously very little chance that you met him. I'm just very proud and jump at every chance to talk about him.)
Old 05-19-2011, 12:47 PM
campoj2
Racer

I was in Dubai on Monday, Kabul on Tuesday and Munich on Wednesday and then I read that thread "Porsches are Junk" for the last 4 hours.

Taking a ride to the shop to check on Ol' girl.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Day Job... I got a new one with a company called XPLANE... http://www.xplane.com

I am a "Consultant" (terrible title)- I run interactive sessions to help clients develop internal strategy, workforce collaboration (social/ERP) and to really get clarity on their thinking. I go totally analog, meaning charts, drawings and frameworks that guide thinking... I don't allow laptops or cel phones in my sessions, and we treat Powerpoint as the great obfuscator.

I work for clients like Microsoft (ha) Apple, Disney, and in Sydney, it was the state water bureau.

We were at Disney studios, but I didn't meet too many people yet. I likely will as we will be building personas, which require a lot of F2F interview time. This round was all C-Level and EVPS.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:24 PM
windblown
Instructor

Finished up my first "granite" project, replacing the tile fireplace hearth with the granite my Wife wanted so badly and the project turned out great! Wife was leaving to get a pedi and I offered her a ride in the roadster, dropped her off and drove around in circles through the city for a little over an hour just enjoying the car. When I went back and picked up my lovely Wife and she told me that all of the the ladys commented on what a beautiful car she was in; big smile on my face. Out for sushi and then home... great weekend!

Quick Reply: Hawk's Monday post