Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you get a good exhaust seal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you get a good exhaust seal?

I had a leak at the clamp between the cat and the primary bypass. Got a new clamp and donut but still cannot figure out how to connect them without leak. Any good methods out there?

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:13 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I won't claim that I have a "good" exhaust seal, but one thing I have tried is to leave the cat to exhaust manifold bolts as loose as possible, just a couple of threads caught, in order to get the donut end as tight as possible. Then tighten up the manifold end. Seems to help, but hasn't entirely solved the problem.

I've thought of using pipe clamps to attach two pair of angle brackets to the cat and bypass pipe, then run some long bolts through holes in the angles and pull the joint together before tightening the donut clamp. The pipe clamps and angles, being metal, could even remain in place. I haven't tried this yet, but likely will before long.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:24 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've found that you have to get the clamp exactly centered before you tighten down the bolts. Putting a bead of RED (high temp.) RTV sealent around where the pipes join will also help.

Quick Reply: How do you get a good exhaust seal?