Sponsored by:

Jealous Drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:49 PM
92silver964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jealous Drivers?

I recently got my 964 back after an extended stay at an indy for a total engine rebuild. I had remembered that while I was driving the Porsche (versus my ho-hum daily driver), it seemed like more drivers around me would be aggressive. Given the time away from my P-car, it became immediately clear after I got it back on the road that many cars would speed past me or even attempt to drag race. Since I am still in the break-in period, I have to take it easy, so I can't really respond (much as I would like to). Saturday morning I was next to a Murano who obviously wanted to race me from a stoplight. I pushed through 4 gears at 4K rpm tops and then he went by. I saw him at the next light and he seemed pleased with himself. Little did he know I never touched the power band. Anyone else experience this while out in their 964? After the rebuild / lowering, the car looks and sounds hotter, so I'm wondering if that is helping to bring out the competitve spirit in others. Vans, SUV's, trucks, all kinds seem to want to show me they can "take" me. I find it to be a hoot actually.

Also, saw up close (but obviously was not about to participate in) a stoplight race between a modified late model Dodge Challenger and 911 GT3. The GT3 toyed with him and then lit it up. It just screamed! What an awesome car.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice this too, especially with women. I will go 10 over or so, but they just kept on going 20 25+ over, and yup all kinds of SUVs Truck and econ-boxes.

I have even tested a few to see how far they would push, and they will push all the way they can if need be.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:17 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

seems like a lot of junk cars like to see how close they can get to the rear bumper of my Turbo. Never had anybody try to race me which i wont do on the street anyways.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Often from rice rockets with the ridiculous exhausts. It all comes down to, how far do I want to push my luck with Johnny Law. 15mph over if I know the area well. All you need is some other careless driver to not see two idiots racing and it's lights out. Wait, who is the careless driver?
Old 05-12-2011, 12:24 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Never really happens out here. And that's been pretty much my experience from having a 12 year old '68 when I was 18, to rolling around to the tune of 11K miles in the last 5 months with the (almost) 15 year old 4S. Just a car I'm using to get where I need to get to.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:55 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Not this exact same issue, but I did experience something unusual the other day. Here in Texas, politeness abounds at stop lights to let drivers exiting adjacent parking lots in line so that they're not stuck trying to enter the roadway into moving traffic after the light changes.

The other day I was leaving a Post Office where road construction was underway at the next light. There was a line of about 20 cars stacked up at the light, moving through at about 5 per light change. After I sat through the first light change, a space opened up in front of a big crew cab company work pickup, and instead of letting me through (I needed to cut through to the opposite lane to go the other way), the driver just looked at me and smirked and slowly pulled up to close the space between him and the car in front.

I just glared at him. I could see that the guy in the passenger seat was surprised and embarrassed by his a$$hole buddy's actions. I started to call the owner, whose name was on the side of the truck, and tell him what a good job of PR this guy wa doing, but didn't waste my time.

On the other hand, it's always interesting to see other driver's reactions when I'm obviously courteous to them, especially when they're blue colors in work trucks, or even semi's, and I'm in a white shirt and tie. It just feels like they have a preconceived impression that all Pcar drivers are asses and they're surprised that I would slow down to let them in, etc.

I guess a joke my banker told me years ago when he first learned that I had a Porsche has stuck in my head. He said "Do you know the difference between a Porsche and a cactus? On a cactus, the ***** is on the outside."
Old 05-12-2011, 06:51 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I find that women in SUVs are less curious about the performance of the Porsche than they are about our huge schwanzschtuken...as everybody knows its true.

Sadly the cactus thing is also...
Old 05-12-2011, 10:45 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,780 Posts

I just let em go by - not woth it. Seems like every M3 out there wants to race.

+1 on the tailgaters

When verbally confronted about one car being faster than another, I say "I dont know - we should go to the track and find out" which usually gets no reply.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Save your clutch. You enjoy your 964 in ways these street idiots would never understand.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
I just let em go by - not woth it. Seems like every M3 out there wants to race.

+1 on the tailgaters

When verbally confronted about one car being faster than another, I say "I dont know - we should go to the track and find out" which usually gets no reply.
+1
Old 05-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Where in Silver Spring are you, Steve?

I like to hit the highways early on weekend mornings, when the roads are wide open. Let's go for a ride.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't street-race anybody, especially in this car, I think it's beneath my dignity (okay, except for the guy in the S2000 a few years ago, who just really needed his @ss handed to him. No problem, btw...).
But I have experienced the aforementioned behavior more times than I can count. The car seems to bring some sort of agitation to the surface. Oddly, it's generally not the guys in the 'hot rod' cars (except for a certain Middle-Eastern gentleman on I-5 in a late-model M5 a couple years ago, who came up on me from behind at probably 100+, cut in front of me and slowed down, sped up to 100+ again, backed off and got behind me, pulled up next to me and grinned, did it again. I couldn't help noticing A) his 5 or 6 gold chains, and B) the cloud of blue smoke his engine produced when he hit the gas, obviously from his repeated beatings).
Usually, it's middle-aged guys in family sedans or old beaters, on the freeway, and almost always with a woman in the passenger seat. They get too close behind me, pull up next to me and pace me, then cut in front and make me slow down, so I go around them, and it's lather-rinse-repeat (the whole time, they try to never make eye contact). They sort of 'orbit' around you, way too close. WTF??? The last instance was a guy on the on-ramp behind me in a Nissan Maxima, with a woman who looked like 20 miles of bad road (hope it was his wife, and not his girlfriend ). He did this act for 5-6 miles, until I got to my exit. Jebus... What was the point???

The other category out where I live is knuckle-draggers in big-@ss pickup trucks. I am apparently a threat to their manhood, because they love to ride about 3 feet off my back bumper, just for fun I guess. Go figure.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:02 PM
zizu
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have more issues with rednecks in big trucks tailgating! Minivan mums always tailgate no matter what they follow. Scary when I'm on the motorcycle, almost got hit 2 weeks ago by one texting!
Old 05-12-2011, 03:58 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Drivers

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
I don't street-race anybody, especially in this car, I think it's beneath my dignity (okay, except for the guy in the S2000 a few years ago, who just really needed his @ss handed to him. No problem, btw...).
But I have experienced the aforementioned behavior more times than I can count. The car seems to bring some sort of agitation to the surface. Oddly, it's generally not the guys in the 'hot rod' cars (except for a certain Middle-Eastern gentleman on I-5 in a late-model M5 a couple years ago, who came up on me from behind at probably 100+, cut in front of me and slowed down, sped up to 100+ again, backed off and got behind me, pulled up next to me and grinned, did it again. I couldn't help noticing A) his 5 or 6 gold chains, and B) the cloud of blue smoke his engine produced when he hit the gas, obviously from his repeated beatings).
Usually, it's middle-aged guys in family sedans or old beaters, on the freeway, and almost always with a woman in the passenger seat. They get too close behind me, pull up next to me and pace me, then cut in front and make me slow down, so I go around them, and it's lather-rinse-repeat (the whole time, they try to never make eye contact). They sort of 'orbit' around you, way too close. WTF??? The last instance was a guy on the on-ramp behind me in a Nissan Maxima, with a woman who looked like 20 miles of bad road (hope it was his wife, and not his girlfriend ). He did this act for 5-6 miles, until I got to my exit. Jebus... What was the point???

The other category out where I live is knuckle-draggers in big-@ss pickup trucks. I am apparently a threat to their manhood, because they love to ride about 3 feet off my back bumper, just for fun I guess. Go figure.
No shortage of these types, although out here in the sticks I typically get the truck driving hillbilly [all flavors], and the occasional HS kid driving moms minivan. I put them on ignore if at all possible.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:10 PM
rarebear
Racer

happens to me all the time, especially guys in Beemers and loud Honda Civics , I have to restrain myself because the penalty in Holland of speeding is drivers license gone for a year, enormous fines and car confiscated. And what's to be proven ?? my 964 can be seen on Youtube ...the Nurburgring Nordschleife doing 270 (kilometres) per hour and 0 to 100 in 4.5 sec
Racing is for the circuit ! imagine you hit a child when you do a traffic light grand prix !

p.s. a 22 year old car !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGE6z...eature=related

Last edited by rarebear; 05-12-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Jealous Drivers?