O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:17 AM
gprosser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor

Hi

Need to replace my O2 sensor to cure stalling in heavy rain, plus an increase in fuel consumption.

Want the original part, as it is the only one that is properly waterproofed apparently.

Is this correct: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Porsche-911-96...#ht_1588wt_961

Also, DME's - are these worth swapping over at the same time to attempt to get a rock steady idle? Have a new one sat in the boot. Wondering if they either simply just completely fail, or also degrade over time?

Many thanks, Gareth.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:48 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Amazon has the best price on the O2 sensor.. approx 89 US Dollars including shipping

Dont know if Amazon.uk or amazon.de has it but its definitely worth a look
Old 05-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make sure it's Bosch.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Amazon has the Bosch 3 wire, OEM direct plug and play..

Bosch 13924 Oxygen Sensor, OE Type Fitment

(no affiliation)
Old 05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by gprosser
Hi

Need to replace my O2 sensor to cure stalling in heavy rain, plus an increase in fuel consumption.

Want the original part, as it is the only one that is properly waterproofed apparently.

Is this correct: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Porsche-911-96...#ht_1588wt_961

Also, DME's - are these worth swapping over at the same time to attempt to get a rock steady idle? Have a new one sat in the boot. Wondering if they either simply just completely fail, or also degrade over time?

Many thanks, Gareth.
DME relays degrad over time and eventually fail.

When I replaced mine it helped the idle, cleaning the idle valve also helped but still wasn't a rock solid idle, replaced the O2 which also helped, and killed the check engine light, but it wasn't until I replaced the fuel filter, gas cap and adjusted the throttle cable that I got a rock solid idle.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:20 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

amazon also has Bosch 15735 O2 sensor on sale for $44.12. This is a universal fitment not an OE fitment. Would it still work?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The 13294 is plug and play. It has a new engine tin grommet and more importantly a new connector.
With the 15735 you have to somehow seal the old grommet to the external side of the wire housing and solder on the old sensor's connector to make it 'fit'
Personally I wouldn't mess with this over a $ 40 difference, then you have to worry if the sensor themselves are exactly the same and sends the same signals to the DME in every case. Just not worth it for me. I installed the $84 OE one and no complaints

Last edited by Laker; 05-05-2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: was $83 now $84 on Amazon *gasp*
Old 05-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by The Stig
amazon also has Bosch 15735 O2 sensor on sale for $44.12. This is a universal fitment not an OE fitment. Would it still work?
yeah, for a while, but you really don't want to go that route.

making up the wire connector which isn't right to fit in the holder, no boot ... why would you wanna shoot yourself in the foot like that ?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:48 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I was only offering it as option. I wanted to solicit opinions on the differences because I didn't know. Now I do.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:32 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 241 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
Amazon has the Bosch 3 wire, OEM direct plug and play..

Bosch 13924 Oxygen Sensor, OE Type Fitment

(no affiliation)
Order correctly. I believe this is the correct part number. Laker has the numbers transposed. His link is right and I agree with him though.

Ciao.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 AM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the universal. What A PITA. I then bought original.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:54 AM
cobias1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
just been running about 3 or 4 months now on a rebuild finish. Had approximately 160k miles on the engine when it was torn down. One thing that I did was to clean out the Cat converter instead of replacing the sensor(would have been next). initially when the cat was off no light could be seen through the honeycomb. after a good overnight soak, then spraying through the cat via a spray tube hooked up to my cleaning tub, I could start seeing the honeycombs cleaning up. Idle is good, and exhaust is free to expel itself correctly.
I have also cleaned the isv only to have to buy a new one after the 4th cleaning. Much better now with the new one.
The other thing I was told I may want at this point is to have the MAF recalibrated. This was told to me by a local P-car mechanic that was listening to the idle. So maybe later this will be done. By the way there are no lights on during run-time except with the top down manually and that is the open top light. Gonna try to find and disable that micro switch eventually. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 422 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Microswitch

Yea my microswitch issuewas someone who dragged the throttle cable the wrong direction across my housing when replaing the clutch during replacement. Indi shop broke, delawrship fixed for $90. May be the cheapest repair in pcar history...I limited them to 1.5 hours or diagnostic and they came back with. 1 hour. On the down side the brake bleed ended up being 190.
Originally Posted by cobias1
Hi,
just been running about 3 or 4 months now on a rebuild finish. Had approximately 160k miles on the engine when it was torn down. One thing that I did was to clean out the Cat converter instead of replacing the sensor(would have been next). initially when the cat was off no light could be seen through the honeycomb. after a good overnight soak, then spraying through the cat via a spray tube hooked up to my cleaning tub, I could start seeing the honeycombs cleaning up. Idle is good, and exhaust is free to expel itself correctly.
I have also cleaned the isv only to have to buy a new one after the 4th cleaning. Much better now with the new one.
The other thing I was told I may want at this point is to have the MAF recalibrated. This was told to me by a local P-car mechanic that was listening to the idle. So maybe later this will be done. By the way there are no lights on during run-time except with the top down manually and that is the open top light. Gonna try to find and disable that micro switch eventually. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:16 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Just ordered this from Amazon: Bosch 13924

Can't believe it is only $67 and the supplier is Amazon. Not a 3rd party. Wish Amazon stocked all the 964 parts.

Quick Reply: O2 sensor