Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced distributor belt... Need re-timed???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Fultonphoto
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced distributor belt... Need re-timed???

I just replaced the distributor belt in my car and finished in 3hrs. Car is running great. Should I have the timing rechecked?

Installed a vent kit in the primary distributor. Where do I connect the end of the vent kit hose? Replaced the rotors too. Will do the plugs when I have a little extra time. I did notice the the plugs to the second rotor were visible with moderately easy access on the top side of the motor but where are the other six (primary distributor plugs)?

Thanks for everyones help on Rennlist!

Sean
Old 04-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Where to connect the vent kit should run? See https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...tructions.html In my case, I purchased a T connector and spliced into the existing hose between the heater duct and the rear tail lights. It avoided having to drill into the heater duct.

Where are the other spark plugs? There are 6 on the top side of the cylinders and another set towards the bottom side. You have to remove the cat, secondary muffler and heat shields to access them.

Should you have your timing checked? As long as your distributor was installed properly, you should be all set. There is not timing adjustment like the traditional style distributors.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:58 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

the plugs are on the bottom. You need to remove some panels and the Cat to make it easier to get to them.
Beat me by a minute Rob
Old 04-30-2011, 07:05 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Timing? Ahhh. A newbie.

Sounds like you're mechanically oriented and have some experience with other cars. You'll love working on your 964. One suggestion: Never start any job without asking for advice from your friends here first. Even though I'm pretty experienced with 911 work, I've found these guys almost always have a suggestion to make a job easier, faster or better.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Fultonphoto
Intermediate

Yeah Altar,

I am definitely a newbie to working on my P cars other than the basic stuff. I do know my way around other brands of vehicles and have restored a couple Toyota Landcruisers and a couple Centurion Ski boats. I have worked on nearly every vehicle that I've owned. I have been avoiding doing my own work on the car because of a few horror stories I have heard about these cars.

I originally took it to a mechanic to have them look at it when the distributor belt broke and they wouldn't fix it (couldn't figure out why the car was running crappy). They wanted to replace the distributor with a new one at a small price of $1400. After a little research I told them that they were nuts and said I would fix it myself. They were fine with the idea but told me that I should take it back into them and have it retimed. After installing the rebuilt distributor I started thinking about it and once again thought they were nuts. I put the distributor in exactly where it was when I pulled it out. The car runs great. How would you time one of these cars anyway, considering you can't turn the distributor to advance or retard the timing?

Thanks again to all the great help here on Rennlist. This is one of the best and informative forums I have ever visited.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:06 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

The timing is adjusted exclusively by the computer, from sensors such as the ping sensors which are bolted to the tops of each bank of cylinders.

My most difficult lesson when starting out on the 70's 2.7 liter cars was dealing with the soft metals used in Porsches - not overtightening fasteners and repairing threads when I did. You should be OK with your watercraft background.

Two more suggestions, based on your current post:

Find a GOOD shop. You'll probably need one for some tasks as you learn more about Porsches. You won't want to be worrying about whether you can trust them and whether they know what the hell they're doing. I bought my car from a guy who owed an exotic car garage over $11,000 for repairs. Four months later I dropped a valve because they didn't know to check/replace the valve guides due to their importance in cooling the valve stems.

Get a copy of Adrian Streather's Porsche Enthusiast's Companion. It's specifically about 964's and very thorough. Almost everything you'll need to know is in there.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:18 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

P.S. You'll learn with time on here to pay special attention when some guys like Indycam, Ilko, Mark Shaw, Steve , et. al. post advice. Some guys obviously have more experience, are professionals in the Porsche field, and/or are great with online diagnosis. Speaking of spending time on here, what's with an Addict join date of 2005 "newbie".

Quick Reply: Replaced distributor belt... Need re-timed???