Limited choice of engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:46 PM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Limited choice of engine oil

Hi all,

I read about engine oil thread across the forum these days. And know that not every type of oil even in same grade is suitable for our air-cooled engine.
I noted the best choice are the brands Prad Penn, Swepco, Mobil V-twin and MX4T.
However, in my places, all of the above are not available.
Most closest choice I can get are Motul 300V Competition 15W 50 and Silkolene Titan Race Pro R 15W 50. Silkolene is cheaper than Motul here.
Please help on the selection. 99% of time is street use.
Thanks a lot.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:05 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a new product that will bring the ZDDP levels in new oils up to the good old days.

http://www.barsproducts.com/4401.htm
Old 04-23-2011, 01:29 PM
power_up
Racer

Originally Posted by LouZ
Here's a new product that will bring the ZDDP levels in new oils up to the good old days.

Thanks for input.
Is this add on top of the engine oil? So what engine oil should i select if use this zinc treatment?

P.S. Just check, this zinc treatment is not available.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:35 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LouZ

Hey thanks! That's available at the Advance Auto Parts right in my back yard. I will add some to the Valvoline Racing Oil I use even though it says on the bottle that it has some zinc in it.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:37 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by power_up
Thanks for input.
Is this add on top of the engine oil? So what engine oil should i select if use this zinc treatment?

P.S. Just check, this zinc treatment is not available.
Where are you? Maybe we could send you some, or you could order it direct from the distributors shown on the Bars Leaks website under store locater.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by altarchsa
Hey thanks! That's available at the Advance Auto Parts right in my back yard. I will add some to the Valvoline Racing Oil I use even though it says on the bottle that it has some zinc in it.
VR1 has 1200ppm ZDDP which is plenty. When one starts adding ZDDP, one has to consider the ratios of detergents etc. which should be in an ideal ratio straight out of the bottle. Just my .02 YMMV
Old 04-23-2011, 04:14 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Where are you located??? I use Brad Penn 20W-50 and have to order it in, around $ 100.00 (incl. shipping & taxes) for a case of 12 quarts = $ 8.33 a bottle, cheaper than the alternative and you KNOW you have the right oil in your engine.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:01 PM
power_up
Racer

Thanks for your kind assist.
I am in HK. I know the shipping is a big amount for oil product. If shipping is not a concern, I ordered Brad Penn from USA. Thats why I want to select the limited choice of oil here to avoid the constant huge shipping fee.
Really thanks.

.[/QUOTE]

Where are you? Maybe we could send you some, or you could order it direct from the distributors shown on the Bars Leaks website under store locater.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 PM
power_up
Racer

I am in another side of earth. I had quote the shipping cost few hundred US$. That make me down can't use the best in my baby.

Originally Posted by crg53
Where are you located??? I use Brad Penn 20W-50 and have to order it in, around $ 100.00 (incl. shipping & taxes) for a case of 12 quarts = $ 8.33 a bottle, cheaper than the alternative and you KNOW you have the right oil in your engine.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:27 AM
power_up
Racer

Any though if only motul and silkoline are the nearest choice? Many thanks.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just use a good quality oil from a reputable brand, taking you yearly climate and vehicle age into consideration for viscosity, the selections you suggest in your first post will be fine...

Personally I wouldn't use an additive unless expressly agreed with the oil manufacturer, as additional additives may react with original oil blend.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 AM
power_up
Racer

Thanks for advice.
The reason I raise up my concern because I had read the threads about the potential damage of engine parts when using new standard of engine oil. When I started to find those recommended oil as show in my first post, however is a difficulty for me. Moreover, I find out that 20W 50 oil is not easy available. Many local shop said nowadays not much car using that thick oil (mostly 10W40 SM grade typically). Really a headache for just a simple task that finding correct engine oil for my car. But I learn a lot in this topic this week. Actually I didn't pay particular attention of engine oil in the past.

Originally Posted by Unkle
Just use a good quality oil from a reputable brand, taking you yearly climate and vehicle age into consideration for viscosity, the selections you suggest in your first post will be fine...

Personally I wouldn't use an additive unless expressly agreed with the oil manufacturer, as additional additives may react with original oil blend.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a mine field i know, just consider that some of the suggestions on oil are not the best choices as you say in your first post, but possibly personal choices. You could ask a Porsche dealer for some advice too, they do know a thing or too about cars

Don't forget (me included) we cherish them, but these cars are 20 years old and have been half way to the moon on all kinds of normal oil and with all sorts of history.

If the car has history with a specific oil though, and you have had no problems stick with it, as consistency has been mentioned for helping seal condition in the past. I have no supporting evidence for this, but all additives work in differing ways and changing something for the sake of changing may not be entirely beneficial.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:41 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Unkle
You could ask a Porsche dealer for some advice too, they do know a thing or too about cars
I doubt there are many P-car mechanics in HK who speak "air-cooled", and are up to date on the latest formulations of oils they have used for many years. Porsche has been selling and training "water pumpers" for a long time now.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:01 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

Just use the Swepco 306 supreme oil.

I get a case for $120.00 from my area Swepco rep.

Has all the right additives plus some friction modifiers.
Steve Werner tested it on a engine dyno with 911 engine compared to all the other leading brands-mobil 1 etc. & noted 8hp gain.

Quick Reply: Limited choice of engine oil