Limited choice of engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by power_up
Hi all,

I read about engine oil thread across the forum these days. And know that not every type of oil even in same grade is suitable for our air-cooled engine.
I noted the best choice are the brands Prad Penn, Swepco, Mobil V-twin and MX4T.
However, in my places, all of the above are not available.
Most closest choice I can get are Motul 300V Competition 15W 50 and Silkolene Titan Race Pro R 15W 50. Silkolene is cheaper than Motul here.
Please help on the selection. 99% of time is street use.
Thanks a lot.
Motul 300V is an excellent product and highly recommended, especially if the car sees track use. I have no experience with Silkolene in these engines so I cannot offer anything constructive on that one.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:36 PM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vracer
Originally Posted by Unkle
You could ask a Porsche dealer for some advice too, they do know a thing or too about cars
I doubt there are many P-car mechanics in HK who speak "air-cooled", and are up to date on the latest formulations of oils they have used for many years. Porsche has been selling and training "water pumpers" for a long time now.
You are right. I don't rely on what they say about the air cooled advise. Now almost all mechanics in HK dealers are. water cooled generation. All air cooled man were come out for their own bussiness. I trust the rennlist said/advice more than the so called profession in local shop. They even don't know or find out new spec. oil will. harm engine parts. Just sell what they have in stocks or best profit they can get.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:39 PM
power_up
Racer

Thanks for input. However, I can' t get it locally. I also notice Swepco is one of the good choice.

Originally Posted by RDS928S
Just use the Swepco 306 supreme oil.

I get a case for $120.00 from my area Swepco rep.

Has all the right additives plus some friction modifiers.
Steve Werner tested it on a engine dyno with 911 engine compared to all the other leading brands-mobil 1 etc. & noted 8hp gain.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 PM
power_up
Racer

thanks for advise and comfort.
I think entire life of my 964 was not feed with good oil in the past ownerships. I think I need to start from my own.

It is a mine field i know, just consider that some of the suggestions on oil are not the best choices as you say in your first post, but possibly personal choices. You could ask a Porsche dealer for some advice too, they do know a thing or too about cars

Don't forget (me included) we cherish them, but these cars are 20 years old and have been half way to the moon on all kinds of normal oil and with all sorts of history.

If the car has history with a specific oil though, and you have had no problems stick with it, as consistency has been mentioned for helping seal condition in the past. I have no supporting evidence for this, but all additives work in differing ways and changing something for the sake of changing may not be entirely beneficial.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:46 PM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which oil?

I have used 15W-40 Diesel oil in my 964 and 911E before that and never had a problem.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:50 PM
power_up
Racer

Really thanks Steve for your professional input and specific advice. I can make the decision.

I notice you hv surgery from another thread. Hope you get well soon.

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Originally Posted by power_up
Hi all,

I read about engine oil thread across the forum these days. And know that not every type of oil even in same grade is suitable for our air-cooled engine.
I noted the best choice are the brands Prad Penn, Swepco, Mobil V-twin and MX4T.
However, in my places, all of the above are not available.
Most closest choice I can get are Motul 300V Competition 15W 50 and Silkolene Titan Race Pro R 15W 50. Silkolene is cheaper than Motul here.
Please help on the selection. 99% of time is street use.
Thanks a lot.
Motul 300V is an excellent product and highly recommended, especially if the car sees track use. I have no experience with Silkolene in these engines so I cannot offer anything constructive on that one.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:57 PM
power_up
Racer

Is it all kinds of diesel oil can be used (before CJ)? Any others attention I need to pay in select diesel oil using in our porsche?
Thanks a lot.

Originally Posted by jgrosjean
I have used 15W-40 Diesel oil in my 964 and 911E before that and never had a problem.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 AM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel oil

I don't know if there are any differences between different brands. The most common is 15W40. You can get synthetic or normal. The original fill on the 964 from Porsche was Shell Rotella 15W40.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:31 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Motul is a fine oil to use as is Silkolene...Both are ester based and very robust oils. I'd also add an HDEO oil like Rotella or Delvac 15w40 to the list if you have access to those oils and you'd like to use a mineral HDEO.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM
power_up
Racer

Originally Posted by bgiere
Motul is a fine oil to use as is Silkolene...Both are ester based and very robust oils. I'd also add an HDEO oil like Rotella or Delvac 15w40 to the list if you have access to those oils and you'd like to use a mineral HDEO.
thanks. that make the available choice wider.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add: I wouldn't ask a mechanic at a main dealer as they are watercooled trained mostly as suggest, but i would ask Porsche. They release an oil approval list, and that is what i was refering to (Porsche A40 Type approval 84 on)

Anyway just for comparison and to add more info than needed

I took this from Mobil site:
For older, flat tappet engines where wear may be more of a concern, we offer a number of oil products which are higher in phosphorus than API SM/ILSAC GF-4 oils. These include Mobil 1 15W-50 (1,200 ppm), Mobil 1 0W-40 (1,000 ppm) and Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40 (900 ppm). For all newer engines and flat tappet engines in normal service, API SM/ISLAC GF-4 oils are preferred for better fuel economy and for the protection of catalytic systems with lower phosphorous (800 ppm).

They have also just changed some of the formula's and include a fully synthetic 10w60 in the Mobil range. never tried it but looks interesting if you need it thick to combat leaks when hot. Or the new Mobil Super 2000 X1 10W-40 semi which (if i'm reading it right) contains 1400ppm Phosphorous so more than Bradd Penn? Not sure?

Probably muddy's the water a little more, but in some ways helps. A good oil is a good oil (mostly) so buy a reputable brand and change it regularly and you will be fine.

Last edited by Unkle; 05-21-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:43 PM
power_up
Racer

Just to add: I wouldn't ask a mechanic at a main dealer as they are watercooled trained mostly as suggest, but i would ask Porsche. They release an oil approval list, and that is what i was refering to (Porsche A40 Type approval 84 on)

Anyway just for comparison and to add more info than needed

I took this from Mobil site:
For older, flat tappet engines where wear may be more of a concern, we offer a number of oil products which are higher in phosphorus than API SM/ILSAC GF-4 oils. These include Mobil 1 15W-50 (1,200 ppm), Mobil 1 0W-40 (1,000 ppm) and Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30, 10W-30 and 10W-40 (900 ppm). For all newer engines and flat tappet engines in normal service, API SM/ISLAC GF-4 oils are preferred for better fuel economy and for the protection of catalytic systems with lower phosphorous (800 ppm).

They have also just changed some of the formula's and include a fully synthetic 10w60 in the Mobil range. never tried it but looks interesting if you need it thick to combat leaks when hot. Or the new Mobil Super 2000 X1 10W-40 semi which (if i'm reading it right) contains 1400ppm Phosphorous so more than Bradd Penn? Not sure?

Probably muddy's the water a little more, but in some ways helps. A good oil is a good oil (mostly) so buy a reputable brand and change it regularly and you will be fine.
Thanks for the info. I will find out which one on the list will be easy available.

Quick Reply: Limited choice of engine oil