Sponsored by:

1994 Tip questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 PM
vramani
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Tip questions

I have a deal pending on a 1994 Speedster - issue it is a tiptronic.

Would like to know what the experts think on this.

Do I move forward with purchase?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

a speedster in any form is worth having
Old 04-06-2011, 11:52 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

track use?
city use?
weekend use?
country use?
daily driver?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:59 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

a TIP is not a issue
Old 04-07-2011, 12:49 AM
ACSGP
Pro

From a value perspective, I think that a manual would retain more as it's seen as the purists' vehicle.

From a driving perspective, if you're using the car daily, a tip is a bonus. However, the Speedster ride is "jiggly" if still on the stock suspension as you've lost quite a bit of suspension travel.

But the reality is, Speedsters, whether tip or manual, are great in the sense that there's huge demand, and little supply.

I say go for it.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:59 AM
vramani
Instructor

Default Answers and questions

It will be more for collecting so will only be driven on a few weekends out of the year.

Is the automatic a bad transmission in 94?

How are the shifts?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:34 AM
campoj2
Racer

I had a tip in a 90 C2 and it was an Iron Box transmission, I have never heard of a failure of the transmission. The shifts are good and if want to go manual you have that option, if you ever get stuck in traffic you'll like having the tip. If you're married and your significant other doesn't like manual transmissions this could also be another selling point, she could drive it
Old 04-07-2011, 11:47 AM
MacFever
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

There were only 16 speedsters build with tiptronic so it is very rare
I would not mind buying one and perhaps will ...
How much is he asking ?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by campoj2
If you're married and your significant other doesn't like manual transmissions this could also be another selling point, she could drive it
exactly, which is why I have a 5sp.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:18 AM
P964C2
Intermediate

I've had a C2 Targa manual and currently have a C2 Coupe Tip.

The Tip changes the character of the car a bit - but I still like it - it is easy to use in traffic and it seems faster off at the traffic lights. Also, on the motorway to perform a quick overtake it seems faster to drop it into 3rd on the tip and accelerate. There's no delay with the clutch and gear stick. It will still return 32mpg on a motorway run at 70mph and can even make 36 mpg (UK mpg) if I do 50mph. (sometimes tempting given the price of petrol!)

However, I recall driving in Germany and putting the Targa manual into 3rd at 70mph and pressing the loud pedal down when I could move into the fast lane, and the manual seemed to deliver a lot more G-force.

With the tip you don't have to worry about replacing the clutch or flywheel.

All that said, I bought my current car because of the spec of the rest of the car - if there had been an identical manual version for sale for the same money, I would have no doubt chosen the manual. But I haven't been too disappointed by the tip either.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 AM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

My 993 Speedster is Tip - and certainly goes well enough! As long as the electronics etc are in good working order you can pedal these cars pretty well cross-country. Not sure of the differences between 64 ~ 93 variants, but a quick stab on the throttle as you enter a bend promotes a downchange ready to propel you thro and out of the bend with a grin on the face
See latest comments from US Rennlister - JP, who I met up with last weekend! - 9m93 Speedster build thread!
G
Old 04-27-2011, 10:20 AM
1971 911T
Instructor

my practical experience to compare Tip:

Tip, it drives like an automatic, can feel sluggish sometimes. The CPU is adaptive though, it will lug in traffic if you are snailing it, when you drive like a madman, it will hold lower gear longer and rev the motor high as you accelerate. When the brain controls the Tip to madman mode, it is very sporty. Plus you can just overide by selecting the manual gate. Adding a Steve Wong chip blows away the sluggish cobwebs by getting more torque in the traffic-rev range, and is very worthwhile.

So far, so good.

to me the only real un-adjustable negative of the Tip is that the spacing between second and third are too wide. Second is a very low ratio and third is a little too tall. Second and third are where you'll be in twisties in the mountains. Obvious limitation of a fourspeed.

+1 on collectability of a speedster. buy it if YOU like it.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:41 AM
SNOWBIRD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Tip in my 92, it's what I wanted figuring it would keep me from getting into trouble! Never an issue (nor have I ever read of any). It definately feels sluggish if you drive it that way, but if you want to play, it takes on a whole different personality automatically. If I ever do find something I like as much as this car, it will have another Tip... Gotta like a car that shifts out of 'passing gear' at 134..

Quick Reply: 1994 Tip questions