Sponsored by:

Twenty Dollar Rear Deck Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Twenty Dollar Rear Deck Speaker Upgrade

Back in the 80s I had a BMW 3201 which needed speaker upgrade,it was nearly impossible to find 4x6 speakers then (and of course there was no internet)I bought these from JC Whitney and they were a drop in, no cutting, etc. Mounting depth is 1.75 inches.

Decided to upgrade the rears in my 964 Targa and Whitney still carries these (No affiliation btw) Part 468GS, Item No 037361, while the box says two way they are three way, list for $18.99 (a third of the cost of Infinity Kappas)

I know the audiophiles will go with the infinity but for me, with Targa roof off most of the time and a Fabspeed dual exhaust music is an afterthought , I prefer to hear the car!

Notice how the grilles look exactly like OEM! I think for the price of the set the grilles alone are a deal!

Will post any problems with installation shortly

Last edited by Silvertarga; 04-03-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

That's what I ordered just for the grills indeed... bought me a set of JBL speakers and then came to the conclusion there is no grille with them.

I do not have the original ones since my speakers were already replaced when I bought the car... but I want to return her to original.

The grills look similar, but not identical.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Well that was easy, confirmed , just a drop in/plug N play, Pyramid Grille assembly is smaller that OEM (the screen/bezel assembly on Pyramid is size of screen in OEM )

Hmmm Pyramid speakers in Bahrain...seems somewhat appropriate :-) Soundwise the Pyramids cannot hope to compete with JBL but then for twenty bucks who would expect them to...the sure sound better than my tired old Rockford Fosgate Punch!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice comment on the Pyramids... it's close enough to this place

Well... I expect to toss the Pyramid speakers, but just needed the grille. Sounds a bit wasteful, but I need a grille and didn't feel like having one made (which will probably not look like original).

This seems close enough to fool the untrained eye... and will surely look better than the butcher job that's in there now (round Pioneer speakers with a large spacer underneath to get it to fit in the rear decklid).

If it doesn't fit perfectly I'll get the dremel out and trim the plastic plate around the JBLs until it fits. As long as it sounds better and looks better than what I have now - and that shouldn't be hard - I'm a happy campers.

Some searching around has them for about 14 USD excl shipping.

One day I will find some original ones... as long as I can beat the other 3000 964 owners looking for some

Quick Reply: Twenty Dollar Rear Deck Speaker Upgrade