Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need recommendation - Rennline camber plates and CW bushings in street car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need recommendation - Rennline camber plates and CW bushings in street car?

Greetings - I'm about to have a set of KW V3's installed and am contemplating what to include at the same time.

I have a chance to get a set of Rennline Camber plates for a good price from a friend and I am also thinking of pulling the trigger on the Chris' urethane bushings front and back.

Would the camber plates and bushes be advisable on a car that will spend most of its time on the road vs the track? I don't think either are considered to increase the harshness much if at all.

What do you think?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:45 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I just installed those urethane bushings in the front, and I can say that they helped me turn my fastest lap at Laguna Seca. Although it was my first day ever there, so it may not be a fair comparison.

But really, they did not noticiably increase harshness. It's a project to get the old ones out though.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamus964
Greetings - I'm about to have a set of KW V3's installed and am contemplating what to include at the same time.

I have a chance to get a set of Rennline Camber plates for a good price from a friend and I am also thinking of pulling the trigger on the Chris' urethane bushings front and back.

Would the camber plates and bushes be advisable on a car that will spend most of its time on the road vs the track? I don't think either are considered to increase the harshness much if at all.

What do you think?
The camber plates will be fine for a street car.

for the life of me I don't understand why anyone would use urethane bushes. herd mentality I guess.

for street get the Elephant Racing sport hardness bushes, they are the same as was used on the RS only better as one of the RS was soft, Both of the ER sport bushes will be harder. The only thing to be careful of is to index them to the final ride height. These are also very good on a track car

for track get monoballs
Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Hi Bill and Sundog,

Thanks for the input - so the downside on the urethane bushings seems to be that they may begin squeaking at some point? Or is it that they're harsher also? The feedback from the folks who are using Chris' bushes is positive so I'm interested in them based on this real-world experience.

So is the conventional wisdom that the camber plates are a no-brainer?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:39 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris Walrod bushes are excellent quality imo, they are cheap, do exactly as promised: reduce flex in the front suspension, increase braking and steering ability. I've used mine in anger over more than 7K kilometer and still performing strong without any squeeks whatsoever.

Getting the original rubber bushes out is a bit of a task. However, once fitted the walrod bushes would be a BREEZE to change for a new pair should this be necessary at some point in the future.

While you are at it....I'd really advise getting 9m/Powerflex rear trailing arm bushes, they make a very distinct improvement in the way the rear is planted.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Bill and Sundog,

Thanks for the input - so the downside on the urethane bushings seems to be that they may begin squeaking at some point? Or is it that they're harsher also? The feedback from the folks who are using Chris' bushes is positive so I'm interested in them based on this real-world experience.

So is the conventional wisdom that the camber plates are a no-brainer?
The issue can be boiled down to
which is better for street use?
ans: stock > RS rubber > urethane > monoball

or
which is better for track use?
ans: monoball > urethane > RS rubber > stock

each has +/- just where do you want to place yourself on the scale?

additional issues are wear, noise, maintainance

for these
rubber > than either of the others

since your banner stated "street" rubber is the way to go. RS hard rubber will have 90% of the stiffness yet only 10% of the harshness and wear of the others that's why it was used on factory RS. The factory RS A arms only have 1 hard rubber bush, the other is the same softer rubber used on street cars. I'd use harder rubber on both ends of the arm

If it was a track car then let me ask you a question,
What sort of bearings do you suppose are used on Cup cars?
A) urethane
B) monoball
c) rubber
Old 03-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Hi again,

Evoderby - thanks for the input - I do plan on upgrading the rear trailing arm bushes for sure - they seem to be a source of significant improvement.

Bill - thanks again - you've recommended the Elephant racing pieces in the past and I'm looking hard at them - any difference (that you're aware of) between them and the FVD bushes seen here (other than price of course): http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/96...t-964-993.html

I should probably clarify too - I will track the car occasionally at PIR as I've done w/my other sports cars, and have already had Rothsport do a LWFW, RS clutch/pp, SW chip, Rennline Gusset w/RS engine mounts, and a B&B header exhaust sans cat. This isn't a grand touring car for me and I'm not afraid of a measure of increased noise if it comes with increased performance. I just don't want to go too far and have something that is harsh rather than firm. Most of the driving will be on the road, but even that driving will often be spirited.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

I should probably clarify too - I will track the car occasionally at PIR as I've done w/my other sports cars, and have already had Rothsport do a LWFW, RS clutch/pp, SW chip, Rennline Gusset w/RS engine mounts, and a B&B header exhaust sans cat. This isn't a grand touring car for me and I'm not afraid of a measure of increased noise if it comes with increased performance. I just don't want to go too far and have something that is harsh rather than firm. Most of the driving will be on the road, but even that driving will often be spirited.

Thanks again for the input!
Mine is 98% track, the ER sport hardness are great there too.

FVD probably sources their rubber bushes the same place as ER. Which is the same place Porsche gets theirs.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Well I think I've settled on the elephant racing 'sport' pieces for the front - but after searching here and elsewhere, there doesn't appear to be any options for the rear trailing arm bushings other than urethane, monoballs, or new trailing arms. Is that the case?

Quick Reply: Need recommendation - Rennline camber plates and CW bushings in street car?