Naive Oil Leak Questions and Help Requested

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011 | 11:33 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Naive Oil Leak Questions and Help Requested

OK Listers,

Be gentle as I'm starting to flex more of my undeveloped DIY muscles and enjoying researching and learning more about these wonderful cars...I get a good amount of leaking and oil on the back of the car after a track weekend, so am trying to figure out how much of the oil leaks I can address myself. I'm planning a valve adjustment and will use some new billet lower valve covers to help with those areas.

I originally figured there was a good amount of leaking from the lower valve covers, but followed recommendations to clean up the engine, take it for a slow spin, and then check to see where the oil drips are found. Following are some of the pictures I took as I'm trying to figure out where to focus my leak management activities and need the expertise of this board for some help.

Following are some of the pictures and I would be greatful for your opinions on the source of the leaks and what I can actually address in my 'normal' garage.

1. I see some drips on the case right below the valve covers, but they don't seem to be coming from the valve cover side, but instead from the oil lines that pass from one piston bank to the other (not sure if this is even accurate or not...)
Driver Side Lower Valve Cover, drips are circled:

Passenger Side Lower Valve Cover, drips are circled:

2. The following oil line is on the side of the engine closest to the front of the car:

3. Drop on bolt toward the front of the car side of the engine:

4. Drip near the back of the car side of the engine:

5. Drip up near the cylinders (I believe):

6. Are these oil lines between the cylinder banks? They seem to be a littel damp, but it could be coming from somewhere else.

7. Final drips - no pictures, but there is always a drip or two righ along the center line seem in the lower case where we jack up the back of the car...I assume it is coming from somewhere, but cannot tell at this point.

FYI - I'm also getting some leakeage from the Oil Pressure Sender and will address that when I get this project started. Just sharing in case this could be a source from some of the drips in the pics above.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and I hope this thread will help me and others to come.

-Skip
Old 03-23-2011 | 12:12 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Weeping is normal, drips should be addressed.

It looks like a candidate for an engine removal and reseal.

Looks like oil return tubes, chain covers, seal rings and oil thermostat and cooler lines. It is probably leaking at the oil cooler as well and perhaps behind the front pass side tire.

So you kind of live with it until you are ready to spend serious money and work. Likely the easiest and cheapest would be doing all the oil lines, but that is not cheap nor without a lot of work.

I guess you could do collapsible return tubes but I don't like them.

Chain covers are not terribly expensive but does require a partial engine drop.

I guess it depends on how competent you are in the garage. Personally I would be confidant doing a complete teardown and assembly if necessary.
Old 03-23-2011 | 08:46 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

The engine cooling fan blows oil around to strange places. The wet spots you see may not be the leak points. I would start with cleaning the engine thoroughly and then take it out for a spirited drive. Then jack up the car to look for wet spots.

I had a similar problem where the entire bottom of the engine was wet. After cleaning and driving it. I found that the oil leak was at the oil pressure sensor which was then running down the case. It was a relatively simple fix for what looked like a need for entire engine reseal repair bill.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 03-23-2011 | 09:56 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
The engine cooling fan blows oil around to strange places. The wet spots you see may not be the leak points. I would start with cleaning the engine thoroughly and then take it out for a spirited drive. Then jack up the car to look for wet spots.

I had a similar problem where the entire bottom of the engine was wet. After cleaning and driving it. I found that the oil leak was at the oil pressure sensor which was then running down the case. It was a relatively simple fix for what looked like a need for entire engine reseal repair bill.

Good luck with the repair.
Totally agree with Rob.

From the pictures it looks like everything is leaking, but I'm sure that's not the case (no pun intended). Really clean it up and you'll isolate where the leak is coming from.

I think my car also has a leaky oil pressure sender gasket (to old-style gasket)...just haven't built up the courage to take everything apart to replace it. After cleaning the engine, I feel oil mist on top of the fan shroud near the sender after a couple weeks. I hate that $2 part!
Old 03-23-2011 | 10:05 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keep other ideas coming...

Rob & Jetta,

Thanks for the comments. This is after doing a not so great cleaning and a short drive around the neighborhood. It is hard to reach under the car to spray it down, but think I'm going to give it another try this weekend - try to get the car up higher so I can get in there better to spray it off. I know it is leaking from the oil pressure sender and if that can seep all over the place since it is on the top I'll start with that. I replaced the Oil Pressure Sender last year and the 'O' ring, but it has been leaking, so ordered another 'O' ring and will try it again.

I'm also going to do a valve job (my first) and replace the lower valve covers with the billet ones as it looks like they are leaking as well.

I'm just trying to plan out the project and know everything that I can do while the exhaust is off and such.

Thanks,

-Skip
Old 03-23-2011 | 01:37 PM
xeps
Instructor

Last winter I had the exhaust, engine tins and bumper off, which was sufficient for me to chase down leaks on the valve and timing chain covers. Went with billet covers from Hargett, very nice.

For cleaning purposes, consider buying a small garden sprayer. They are dirt cheap at a hardware store, and flexible enough to get pretty much anywhere.

Quick Reply: Naive Oil Leak Questions and Help Requested