Sponsored by:

Hagerty or Grundy Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:35 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two points:

1. Using a collector car insurer like Hagerty or Grundy typically results in larger savings when you're in or near a large city and/or your insurance premiums on your daily driver is high. The premium for your collector car (regardless of whether it's Hagerty or Grundy) is pretty consistent for someone living in New York City or Iowa. So each person's situation is different; there is not a "one size fits all" answer.

2. The only way to evaluate which company is "better," is not by the premiums or the incremental differences of what is/isn't covered, but rather by how quickly each of these companies paid out after a loss and did the amount reflect the actual damages (or loss). I did not see any of the posts who actually had an experience like this. Hopefully some will follow.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Some kid hit my kid's car many years ago, and they had American Family. They were great to deal with. The car was totaled, they paid a very fair value on it, and they added on pretty much all the repair money I had put into it in the previous year. Decent.

I've quoted Allstate, and have been astonished at the sky-high rates they come up with. But I do admit, they have great commercials. I love the 'Mayhem' guy.

I can't imagine going through somebody like Esurance - although I know they all have regulations they have to abide by. As you say though, the proof comes at claim time, god forbid.

Progressive - I've heard plenty bad, but I will say this about them: I used them for a few years for my daughter's car when she was excluded from SF. I went to them because a buddy said, "Trust me, they'll take anybody. I believe they would insure a monkey". Their rates were decent for high-risk, and she had one minor parking lot scrape from a hit-and-run, and they were easy and fair to deal with.

Haha, I hate their commercials. Screw Flo (go on now, tell me you haven't thought about it )
I would have never guessed Esurance either, but if it is a DRP shop they pretty much let the shop do there thing and they don't come around too much messing around with things. Never had a problem getting claims paid or doing the work correctly from Esurance.

Allstate cut corners and short changed the repair shop all the time, and the repair was never done correctly in my opinon because of that. The adjusters would come in and chop you all up and there would be a fight and they would threaten to remove the car so the shop was kind of stuck holding the bag with a bitter taste in their mount and not a lot of incentive to do a good proper job repairing the car.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
Two points:

1. Using a collector car insurer like Hagerty or Grundy typically results in larger savings when you're in or near a large city and/or your insurance premiums on your daily driver is high. The premium for your collector car (regardless of whether it's Hagerty or Grundy) is pretty consistent for someone living in New York City or Iowa. So each person's situation is different; there is not a "one size fits all" answer.

2. The only way to evaluate which company is "better," is not by the premiums or the incremental differences of what is/isn't covered, but rather by how quickly each of these companies paid out after a loss and did the amount reflect the actual damages (or loss). I did not see any of the posts who actually had an experience like this. Hopefully some will follow.
exactly my point. Like I said, I have an insider prospective on this and had to deal with a lot different insurance companies and they do have different practices.

Their are only 3 companies I would pay auto preimums to.

1. Farmers
2. State Farm (although I have heard that they like to jack with you after you have had a claim)
3. American Insurance.

and I personally use AmFam.

I guess I would probably if I had to go with Esurance. The only reason I didn't include them is they are a younger company.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 PM
Baltic964Cab
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are all pirates. There is no good insurance companies. They are a business. Their business is to make money. There are just as many bodyshops that screw you - they are also a business - their business is also to make money. Depends on your perspective.

Today Japan has an estimated 39 BILLION in damage....now think about your rates.....gotta make money.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

For collector car insurance at agreed value, I have not found any rates better than Barrett-Jackson's. I have never had to make a claim with any of my insurance policies, so I can't comment on relative service levels, but they cut my premiums by 60% over what I was paying w/ Grundy.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/insurance/

YMMV,
TT
Old 03-30-2011, 02:35 AM
shaun.nelson22
7th Gear

I find The Hartford really good for both antique and classic car insurance.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:30 AM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
For collector car insurance at agreed value, I have not found any rates better than Barrett-Jackson's. I have never had to make a claim with any of my insurance policies, so I can't comment on relative service levels, but they cut my premiums by 60% over what I was paying w/ Grundy.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/insurance/

YMMV,
TT
That's pretty interesting never heard of the Barrett Jackson insurance, does anyone have any experience with them? Can you drive your car once in a while or is it strictly for pleasure driving? I just did a quote online with 0 deductible for my '89 C4 and it comes back with only $215 yearly cost ($35k agreed value). I'm definitely going to look into it..

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:55 PM
jjwood
Track Day

I'm also shopping for insurance for my 1971 911, which is an occasional use vehicle only. Currently it has agreed value coverage with a mileage cap. My car now has an non operating odometer,which I'm not inclined to repair. This obviously will cause a problem with a mileage restricted policy. Does anyone know of an agreed value policy with no mileage limits and loose driving restrictions?
Old 10-01-2013, 09:59 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx^^^ you;re only 2 yrs late to the party on that one

Quick Reply: Hagerty or Grundy Insurance