Sponsored by:

front disc and pads diy choices

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by vasculardoc
If you are going to do it yourself go and buy an impact driver to get the rotor screws out (this works for all cars - repetitive heating and cooling of 2 different metals makes them seize)
Ah...not on all cars. The problem is that the screw can start to crumble. Just trying to give Ali a heads up. This would be a frustrating stopping point on an otherwise straight forward procedure!

I haven't had any luck reusing my pad sensors...so I followed this technique to bypass them: Ditching the brake pad wear sensors (with the sensor disconnected you'll have to monitor brake pad wear)

Regarding anti squeal options, I've tried the paste/spray-on stuff. It didn't work for me at all, I'm sure it unsticks or gets washed away pretty quickly (in my case at least). I then moved to the adhesive backing material, works very well but notice squealing begin if I do a lot of in town, light braking...if I bust out into the country and do a couple hard stops it's gone immediately. I never had squealing when mushrooms where installed, but the price adds up so I didn't use them this time...I may go back to them?

Good luck, it's a very rewarding DIY!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:09 PM
964Ali
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm fairly handy with spanners, so should be fine. Heavens, I saw people do it at Oulton in the paddock gorilla-style the other week!

Checking up, Porscheapart have Pagid 'discs and pads' for £180 ( full set, I presume, but will check). Seems to be the best price of any make disc/pads, so that'll most likely be the ones.

It is insanlely satisfying to work on it, I find. Love it.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:30 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts

Hi,
I did normal Zimmerman's with EBC Black. It works fine and was realy cheap!
Old 03-23-2011, 05:51 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 964Ali
Porscheapart have Pagid 'discs and pads' for £180 ( full set, I presume, but will check).
which model of pagid pads?

for that price it must just be a basic version.

The Pagid RS19 or RS29 which many people recommend should be about US$500-600 just for the pads only.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:25 AM
964Ali
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is the basic ones. Not fussed about that or having the race ones, just want something decentish quality really.

Quick Reply: front disc and pads diy choices