Sponsored by:

Hawk's Friday post

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:21 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hawk's Friday post

Well, I'm hoping to get into the convertible top issue Sunday. I have to pull the fabric back, take the B pillar off, and have it welded and painted.

Tomorrow, I'm meeting a group of fellow photographers in Chicago to view a street photographer exhibit. Not sure if you folks care, but her name is Vivian Meier. she just died recently, and it's only because of her death these images were discovered. Google her for more info. Any of you in Chicago or surrounding can meet us at the Chicago Cultural center tomorrow at 10:00 am. We might do a photo walk around after the exhibit.

tonight... no idea. Maybe I can get started on the top tonight.

so... what have you got planned?
Old 03-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

No major P-car plans for the weekend. I've been fighting a nasty head cold all week. I plan on using the weekend to recuperate. I will be going to a minor league hockey game on Sunday. The Manchester Monarchs. Should be fun.

Hawk - Good luck with the cab repair.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:23 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Rob, hope you feel better! Minor League Hockey is big in New England - I used to watch a lot of the Lowell Lock Monsters home games before they became the Devils years ago. I used to visit friends up there a lot.

I have a bunch of car stuff planned for the weekend - install my reupholstered steering wheel, put wider tires in the rear, adjust the parking brake, and change the oil.

My wife wants to go to the "Bibliobarn" - an old farm an hour away converted into a bookstore. She says there are a lot of children's books there for the little guy. We've also been invited to a brunch - friends upstate are celebrating their 3rd year of maple syrup production with a pancake party on Sunday. And I wanted to make a fondue on Saturday night to eat in front of the fireplace with the missus. Haven't done that in a while and I'm looking forward to it.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:27 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

both of mine are running great. I have been riding around with the top down all week even in the evenings.
I had a 3.5' diameter oak fall out at my property of course right across the only access I have to the south end of my property. I finally got the carb problem figured out and now my 57 year old Massey Ferguson tractor is running great so its going to be put to use cleaning up the mess. I need to trench a couple hundred feet for some electrical conduit and water line so am going to hit the tractor junk yards this weekend trying to find some sort of old plow I can drag behind me or something.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:53 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Friday - informal open-field baseball with all the neighborhood families. Kids batting, while the parents catch (and then drop =;>) their fly *****. We have a mini heat wave in NC today..82 out there right now. Afterward we pick a house and all sit around a drink beers. I was never into baseball before we did this.

Saturday - morning mountain bike ride in the trails behind the house (20 miles of trails!), then get in the car with tired legs and eat lunch somewhere and then drive some more to get all the water out of the oil tank from all the short drives I have to do during the week...ha!

Sunday - work on the lawn...(then sneak in the garage and do something to the car while the wife has the kids).

Ilko - I can send you some kids books? My wife is a professor with a huge book fetish (bigger than my Porscheholic problem)!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:39 PM
campoj2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where to start:
- The last H4 arrived yesterday, we're almost ready to start the project. Still need my mil-spec, teflon coated 19 strand, 12 AWG silver stranded wire along with the Dan Stern relay and bulb kit.
- Ordered the paintable trim rings from Porsche - Cheaper than Pelican
- Aero mirrors got installed on Wednesday
- Cup 1 wheels got refinished on Thursday, swapping out the chrome D90
- Door handle gaskets came in the mail today

Outstanding issues:
Oil cooler fan is always on, I have the relay and resistor ready to go
Suspension swap out imminent
Noisy spoiler motor
Stereo install

My wallet can't take much more abuse, and at some point I am going to have to inform the ol' lady that we have a 964! That's a thread for a rainy day.

Last edited by campoj2; 03-18-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:49 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Campoj2,

Are you actually channeling John Belushi? Very funny post....I laughed outloud, at work, and people turned to stare. Ha!

Wait til you get to the suspension, what a job, but Oh so rewarding!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:57 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I was hoping to collect my newly mapped turbo tomorrow, but that's hit a bit of a snag. Seems it's been mapped before with a "try before you buy" map, which runs for 5 days and then defaults to the basic map - but that makes reading out the existing map difficult since it's all encrypted. Looks like that's mostly been resolved now, but it does mean I won't get the car back until (hopefully) early next week.

I didn't have any other plans, but my g/f has suggested two things. One is "shopping" tomorrow - apparently, the vast quantity of shoes she already owns is one pair short of what it should be. Looking forward to that.

On Sunday, she wants us to visit one of her friends - which would be a nice 200 mile odd round trip in the 964. Except we aren't allowed to take the "it smells" 964, so it will actually be a 200 mile round trip with me sitting in the passenger seat of a Renault Clio - probably listening to Robbie Williams or Michael Buble.....

There are times when I wonder why I look forward to the weekends!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:01 PM
campoj2
Racer

My biggest fear with any of these projects is getting half way through and then getting stuck and not being able to get the car to the dealership. The suspension install is starting cause me some sleepless nights, it's not like it's a direct bolt on replacement, well some of it is, maybe? And then there's the wife...
Old 03-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Redcoat
Instructor

I'm just off to see if my shop's finished the new motor mount install.

Fingers crossed its done as the weekend weather forecast for NJ is actually nice for the first time in about five months.

Cheers
Old 03-18-2011, 04:06 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Campo... the suspension install isn't bad at all. Break the rear lower control arm loose first; that's where you'll spend most of your time otherwise. I've done 3, and they are not bad to do. Don't ask me why, but this damn top issue has me nervous. Maybe because if I F it up, it will cost me 5 times the price for a new top, installed, and new motors.

Also, I'm not sure how you haven't had to tell her about the car yet. When I drove mine for the first few years, I had a smile huge as could be. If I hadn't had my wife in on the ownership thing, she'd have thought for sure I had a mistress!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:17 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am without my wife for 2 weeks as of Sunday, she is going to Isreal for 2 weeks. What to do? hmmmm
Old 03-18-2011, 04:25 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Ilko - I can send you some kids books? My wife is a professor with a huge book fetish (bigger than my Porscheholic problem)!
Thanks. I think my wife is looking for something specific though. The little guy's not even 2 years old and we have over 120 children's books...

Originally Posted by campoj2
...at some point I am going to have to inform the ol' lady that we have a 964! That's a thread for a rainy day.
It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:51 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I agree with Hawk, suspension is not complicated, it's time consuming and physical. Break those big bad boy bolts loose on the rear first thing. The rest of the rear is quite simple. I found that gaining acces to the tight areas I needed to get into was always the challenging part. Take your time, be extra careful supporting the car, and plan for a couple of days of hopefully uninterupted time.....and as I assume the wife has not been clued into the 964 yet, you either house the car elsewhere, or she simply hates the garage. Either way, works for you
Old 03-18-2011, 05:49 PM
hawk911
Race Car

last one I did took 5 hrs, but I had 2 additional helpers. 8 hrs on the first time. Decide if you plan to use new bolts/hardware. If so, order it ahead of time. the blower has to come out, as does the air filter. Once you have those out, the rear is much easier to do, even though it's still tight in there

Quick Reply: Hawk's Friday post