Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aero Mirror Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 PM
campoj2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My visual OCD kicked in when I saw that grime at the mirror base, and that's when I realized that nothing is ever easy, even "bolting on some cool *** aero mirrors"! I can't get that **** off, I am at my wits end. If I have to paint that side of the car for because I took that mirror off I am going to be pissed.

When you take off a mirror that has been there for 20 years there's going to be some residue.

The list of things that will hit your wallet is growing, right now the H4s & the aero mirrors. I can't wait to do a write up on the H4 project.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:40 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Hey CT, don't forget the door handles, if you want Aero you have to go all the way or your suspension mods won't work!
Attached Images  

Last edited by misterbeverlyhills; 05-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:47 AM
campoj2
Racer

Did you do a write up on the door handle install. That's my project for next month.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:30 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

No, tools and I are mortal enemies, I had it done at the shop, TLG here in LA.

The hard part is finding the handles for less than the usual $300 ea. asked by dismantlers. You only need the shells NOT the lock cylinders, if you rekey your own which is simple you can keep the original key. You do need the little chrome bezel that surrounds the keyhole so make sure what you get includes them. Painting is fairly simple but after 18 years the door paint is not as fresh as new handles so a good painter needs to match to suit; I used the opportunity to paint the hood and got rid of the rock chips, installed a new hood badge and cleaned up some dings on the doors. Dent Wizard straightened it all out and I had enough paint for a touch up stick leftover. Of course I proudly put a number of chips right back on at a couple of track days but they are my chips and touching them up is about the limit of my mechanical skills.

The install is easy but the door panels have to come off; the clip on the inside I hear is very easy to drop back behind which means a fishing expedition looking for it. The good news from what I gather is that having dropped one YOU MAKE REALLY SURE NOT TO DO IT AGAIN ON THE OTHER SIDE!

All told it was about $450 installed with another $150 for Dent Wizard but as you can see the car looks fresh and straight, no dings, nice bright badge and for my money the look is unbeatable, rare on a 964 so lots of comments but it just makes the car in my mind-always wondered why they factory did not do this when they dropped the flags.

I also put Euro headlights on, huge improvement at night, they came with free chrome headlight trims so I alternate the painted with the chrome-don't ask me why the retro look on the front with modern Aero on the sides but it tickles me to swap them around, 1 screw on each so I can just about manage that myself too.

Last edited by misterbeverlyhills; 05-30-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:55 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Car looks great Christian. I actually love the early door handles. The black anodizing looks just right against a white car. I do plan on the H4 upgrade at some point, after the mirrors.

I just completed the RS sway bar install this morning and spent an additional hour firming up my KW's. I found a point that was slightly too firm for me and backed it off from that point. I'm now in my sweet spot. The settings are close to full hard on bump and rebound The ride is just how I like it!!! Monday morning is my appointment with Darin for a full corner balance and alignment.

I installed a set of Hankook Ventus R-S3's and absolutely love them. Amazing grip, and a slightly softer side wall make the suspension/tire combo come to life. Now I need to find the right tire pressures to round out the effort. I'm very pleased I'm almost ready to hit the track with you Christian
Old 03-19-2011, 06:26 PM
campoj2
Racer

The H4 upgrade gets pricey, and it's the little things that add up. The cost of admission is $420. Then roll in the cost of the relay kit with the kick *** light bulbs $125. You're going to need the really nice wire, can't have any voltage drop with the H4s, add $40 more bones. Black rings don't look so hot with my white car, so you will need the paintable trip rings $90 plus paint $$. Then there is time & beer factor and if you're on diet like me, then your cost is going increase significantly with 18 year Scotch.

Not that I am keeping track of costs but they are adding up.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:22 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Good point about costs but I got mine for about $400 total on the car, it helped that the handles and hood were being painted at the same time.

I live on Mulholland Drive, famous to street racers here in LA for 40 years, a twisty turny section known as The Course is my ride home and in the dark it is pretty dangerous, this time of year is when the tow trucks come up and they close the road to winch up the wrecks. The added illumination from the H4s is literally night and day over the US spec but still a long way from the Xenon lights on the AMG-which can on high beam actually burn out oncoming eyeballs to the socket.

I like racing the car as mostly stock, the motor and trans have not been touched and other than the 17 inch Twists and HK greens the car runs great as is so my mods are pretty few and I am delighted to be able to see them on the car as I walk up to it.

We each have a great car out of the box and of the 1/2 dozen or so really worthwhile mods that can be done on the cheap lights and handles made sense for me.
Now, if I could just find a Euro spec 993 6 speed tranny........
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 PM
campoj2
Racer

A Euro 6 speed bolts into a 964?
Is that an easy install - like door handles?
I have a C4 and I know that can only complicate matters?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:07 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Bolt in but sadly not for a C4.

Quick Reply: Aero Mirror Install