Sponsored by:

Aero Mirror Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:45 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Aero Mirror Install

Finally getting around to replacing Flags with Aero's. The set I found do not have motors. Other than the obvious, is there any rational reason not to ditch the power capability and simply make them manual adjust. I assume the wiring loom would simply live in the door until some future owner decides they might want to install power adjust mirrors. Any thoughts?

I need to have them painted. Is it alright to keep them in one piece rather than separating the mirror from base? I would have them twisted open so we could paint between base and mirror assembly. You can probably tell, I'd rather not mess with that spring

Thanks....
Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 AM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

work fine in manual mode - just need to adjust the glass to where you want it! If you dont remove the base get them to spray them with the mirror at 90 degrees to the base so they get some paint on the top of the base, then spray them normal. Will make it better than just spraying with the base/mirror in its normal position
Old 03-18-2011, 11:33 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

The only PITA with the manual mirrors is the passenger side adjustment. I like to lower the mirror if I park close to a curb for instance and that's practically impossible unless you have someone sitting next to you in the car.

I agree with Dan regarding the painting part. That's how I did mine when I painted them orange. Separating the base from the mirror is not that difficult. Putting it back will become your life's work due to the hard spring they use and the limited amount of room.

As far as the wiring, IIRC you'll have to cut the harness on a 964. It's been 4-5 years since I did this, but the way I remember it was that the 993 has a connector at the base of the mirror but the 964 doesn't and the cable runs from the motor through the door. So after you cut the wires you'll have to secure them so they don't fall inside the door. I suppose painters tape of gaffers tape would work fine. Otherwise it'll be a pain to pull them back up. I forget if there is a fuse for the mirrors, but if there is, remove it and you won't have to worry about electrical issues.

Finally, after you remove the flag mirrors check the door because the footprint of the flag base is larger and it may have left a mark. I had a small issue with mine on the first 964 I had, but it buffed out fine. However, I've seen pictures here of paint that is really wrinkled and damaged under the base. Maybe the factory installed the mirrors before the paint cured, or it could be age-related.

Anyway, it's a great styling upgrade, you'll love the look!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:08 PM
yertyat
Rennlist Member

i'm still in the process of assembling mine... not recommended. ended up bolting one together never could get the spring compressed. my car already looks better with one aero and one flag than it did w/ matching flags!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:34 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I unbolted the flags last night to see what I had under the bases. The drivers side was easy, the flag "base marks" cleaned up fine, but the passenger side is a different story. There is a ridge that appers to go through the paint where the gasket meets the painted door. I used polish to try and minimize, but this will probably not be good enough. Almost looks like I'll need to lightly sand the area and have that area painted, which may mean having the door painted to match correctly. Wow, it sure looks like the flags were installed on wet factory paint.

Thanks for the tip on rotating the mirror from the base of the Aero's to insure paint coverage in the hidden areas. The mirrors are currently light blue.

As to the wiring, the harness runs from the flag motors into the door and into the chassis at the hinge. The only way I can see doing this is to simply cut the harness, and tape the remainder so it can be easily accessed in the future. The interesting thing is that there is more slack in the harness on the drivers side, than the passenger side. Hmmmm

As to not having power to the passanger mirror, I never actually adjust that one. I'm very careful when I park, so I will set it and forget it. No problem.

As I now have the set I found locally, the brand new unpainted factory set I have will be placed up for sale soon. They will have to be assembled and painted, but at least you'll know they are BNIB Porsche originals. It is the lightweight manual kit Aero's w/o motors. I checked Sunset yesterday and learned the kit is $390 plus the glass, an additional $125. Apparently the older kits, like mine, did come complete with mirrors. Porsche in it's wisdom has now changed it's policy, and sells them separately. I would be willing to make someone a good deal if interested. Let me know.

Thanks for all the input.

Chris
Old 03-18-2011, 02:38 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
...The drivers side was easy, the flag "base marks" cleaned up fine, but the passenger side is a different story. There is a ridge that appers to go through the paint where the gasket meets the painted door. I used polish to try and minimize, but this will probably not be good enough. Almost looks like I'll need to lightly sand the area and have that area painted, which may mean having the door painted to match correctly. Wow, it sure looks like the flags were installed on wet factory paint.
Wow...repainting the doors to install Aeros?

Here's one possible option...
A couple years back I met up with Parisian Rennlister Andy Roe. I really enjoyed checking out the Euro vs. ROW differences between our cars...wait a minute is that a Flag base on an Aero mirror? Turns out the where Gemballa (?) Aeros and yes it's a Flag base!

One possible option...
Attached Images    
Old 03-18-2011, 03:21 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Wow, very cool! Use the flag base with an Aero mirror. I'd rather not have to paint the door, so Has anyone here done this?

Jetta, Thanks for this idea!
Old 03-18-2011, 03:28 PM
campoj2
Racer

Where were all of you guys when the peeps we "loving" their flags? Those mirrors make the car look at least semi-modern. Mine are finally installed and working, I love the look of those mirrors.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Chrome "Flags" baby!

Originally Posted by campoj2
Where were all of you guys when the peeps we "loving" their flags? Those mirrors make the car look at least semi-modern. Mine are finally installed and working, I love the look of those mirrors.

Shabby chic?
Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2011, 03:39 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Campoj2,

There are still peeps that love their flags out there. I'm in your camp, "get the Aero's on." How did you deal with the paint issues under the flag base? Was there even an issue for you?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:41 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

Hint for you guys having issues compressing the spring when the base and the mirror are apart.

14mm Allen socket on a 8-12 inch extension. Put it in a bench vise. Place spring assembly on the socket, place base over assembly, take mirror and line it up as you want it to slide over the spring and how it seats on the base. Press/pull down on the mirror (might take two people if the lower ring decides it wants to not slide in the base correctly). Once the top of the spring assembly is in the mirror housing rotate it and you are done.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:12 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Christallon, I made up the perfect little tool to disassemble/assemble the mirrors and bases, it makes the job a walk in the park, if you want to borrow it you are more than welcome, will cost you shipping round trip.
I am away for the weekend, will be back Monday.

Attached Images  
Old 03-18-2011, 05:29 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just paint the door.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:48 PM
yertyat
Rennlist Member

that tool looks better than the one i was trying to use. it involved a 3/8" bolt and several washers which were nearly impossible to turn once up into the housing.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:28 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Steen,

Thanks for the offer. I may not need to dis assemble the mirrors, unless I can re-use the flag base, but I will definately look you up if I do. That is a very nicely made tool. Great job!

I looked at the parts blow-up for each of the mirrors on the Auto Atlanta parts site, and the two sure look different. I'm not convinced the two parts can go together.

Thanks again Steen Your offer is very much appreciated.

Chris

Quick Reply: Aero Mirror Install