Sponsored by:

A visit with Jeff at Rothsport

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:05 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A visit with Jeff at Rothsport

Here on biz, but I had a chance to visit the shop where Claudia (the new RSA) will be molested with a few mods.

I can't say that I've ever met a man with a greater grasp on his own passion and subject than Jeff. Can't wait till we dial the car in, and even worse, can't wait the next year until I can afford to do the engine.

His (own) slide valve intake systems are indeed a thing of beauty and joy - as is the shop, the machine room, the engine and gear room, as are the cars in the back (among them, a couple long noses, one stock and the other a race prepped car, both for sale).

Just a public shout out to two guys (Steve W. and Jeff G.) who have carried passion, knowledge and ***** out hard work into great success - and cool stuff for us.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:38 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

I'm trying to remember the mods you had planned to be done at Rothsport? Maybe suspension, etc.? I remember you mentioning re-gearing...that alone will be an incredible upgrade for your low mile RSA.

I was on their website earlier today looking at their billet aluminum fan hub...then their high butterfly EFI intake system...then their billet short shifter...then their, you get the idea.

With companies like this and the great products and service they prove, there's no reason I'll ever out-grow the thrills this car can prove.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff's great - he's a really passionate guy about these cars and all things performance. He's a heck of a driver too.

He's direct and doesn't waste words, but you get the sense when he's telling you about something, that he knows what he's talking about and won't lead you astray.

Both he and Steve Weiner are really great guys - they know these cars well, and having them local to me is frankly very financially difficult
Old 03-18-2011, 12:27 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

I'd be in serious trouble were that shop nearby.

At the moment we are doing: PSS10s, a re-gear of the tranny (2-5), LWF and clutch work, LSD (Jeff nixed the OS Giken and we have a Guard unit there (also a thing of beauty and joy), RS adj sway bars, 2d oil cooler (up front left), and will also work up a brake setup - bling is also happening.

Little Claudia's life is changing...she should wake up.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:55 AM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Jeff is solid people, so is Earl who works there at Rothsport. Jeff's passion, knowledge and shear mechanical/engineering capabilities are top of any class.

Jeff, Earl and I were among 17 drivers who did a drive from Booneville to the coast and up to Stinson Beach (Nor. Cal) in 2006 at an Rgruppe event that may be the most thrilling road drive I/we have ever done. We still see each other and smile at the thought of that Brilliant drive. Transcendent!

Kai, why nix the Gikan? I have heard wonderful things about that LSD.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:18 AM
xeps
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have nothing but good things to say about the quality of my rothsport parts. Now if only that short shifter would fit in a c4....
Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Kai, why nix the Gikan? I have heard wonderful things about that LSD.

Chris; what I heard from Jeff were his questions regarding one or two long term reliability issues. All of us have heard good things regarding these units (it was Steve who sold me on the OS to begin with, after all).

I yield to Jeff's opinion however, and after having handled the GT jewel ... won't regret the decision at all. These are indeed proven performers.

The last thing I would want to do here is openly question the OS Giken diffs, but merely indicate that I have abdicated the choice to a guy I absolutely trust.

Yes, Claudia willl get one if his billet short shift units also....
Old 03-18-2011, 01:41 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

OK, Got it Kai. Thanks. I just picked up a factory ZF 40/40 unit that has been rebuilt to a 50/50 spec. I have not had it plugged in yet. Do you have an opinion on that unit?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:41 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

My Rothsport shifter is currently at HM customs!

Ill let you know when it arrives

Last edited by 964russ; 08-26-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:51 PM
geordie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of years ago I had the distinct pleasure of driving a 993 re-geared by Jeff, also equipped with one of his Rothsport shifters. Absolutely brilliant!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:47 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by christallon
OK, Got it Kai. Thanks. I just picked up a factory ZF 40/40 unit that has been rebuilt to a 50/50 spec. I have not had it plugged in yet. Do you have an opinion on that unit?
Chris, my only opinion beyone standard crap one reads on-line - is also based on complaints I've heard about plate wear on the newer units, also on-line. Having seen and handled the Guard diff, I have no doubt about them whatsoever, but as usual with our cars...$$$.

I have absoultely decided that I will save up the bucks this year so that Jeff and his crew can build a nasty street engine for Claudia. After a bit of fun and training in her, we'll find where I best fit in and buy/build a dedicated race car.

I'm screwed!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
I'm screwed!!!
Indeed! Might as well just move to Oregon mate - at least you'll save the shipping costs! (grin)
Old 03-18-2011, 07:30 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

We still see each other and smile at the thought of that Brilliant drive. Transcendent!

I just can't help but grin at the thought of a bunch of (really happy middle aged) guys in a long string of German Frogs tearing up a wonderful road...

Transcendental indeed!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 05:04 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Shifter fitted.
Any ideas for a gaiter?
Sumthing to fill the gap?

Last edited by 964russ; 08-26-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:09 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Russ,

Looking good mate! I love the look there, and I hear it's the bees knees in the performance dept. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: A visit with Jeff at Rothsport