Sponsored by:

Distributor Drive Belt Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:06 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Distributor Drive Belt Change

I did this yesterday, thought I'd share some tips.
After drilling out the roll pin, the helical gear didn't want to come off the shaft. My pullers were all to big.
I opened my vice 1", and put 2 pieces of flat steel across. I sandwiched the gear between these, resting on the lip of the gear, not the gears themselves. I put a trash can below, with a towel over the top. Then used a flat wide punch, to tap the shaft down out of the gear.To get it back on, I used a pony clamp.
The other tricky part, was aligning the key on the shaft with the kewway, as you insert the shaft back in.
You can see the key as you slide the shaft up(looking through the vent plug hole),
but can't see the keway. so it's important to get it aligned before you start insertion. A paint mark helps. It took me 2 tries.
All in all, not too difficult.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing your tips Newsboy.

What did your old belt look like? And how many miles do you think it had covered? It can be hard to see when its on the distributor so its always good to here what belts are like when removed and inspected.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:21 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

I had 70,450 on the odometer. The belt had never been changed. It looked like it was in good shape though.
One other tip about installing the distributor. I could get it to slide in, but not seat. The top of the casting was flush with the top of the bolt. I called Steve Weiner(Rennsport), who was very helpful. Explained about the Helical cut of the gear, and how it had to continue turning as it went in. I could feel the gear sitting on top of the drive, then slipping in, and rotating slightly counterclockwise. I then used a long socket extension to gently tap on the center case allen bolt to seat it all the way.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:22 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Sorry,Clockwise, not counterclockwise.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If it looks ragged its bad, however it can also look good and be bad as it will become brittle, once that happens its a recipe for disaster, at 95,000 I had Steve at Rennsport rebuild my distributor, new bearings went in along with a new belt...belt I may have been able to do solo, bearings?...maybe not...

Quick Reply: Distributor Drive Belt Change