Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No ABS but no warning light?? (C4/C2T)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No ABS but no warning light?? (C4/C2T)

I should just be patient and have my tech check over the car but instead I am throwing this out into the world of Rennlist

964 turbo (IIRC same ABS set-up as a C4)....the ABS doesn't work but everything up front looks fine and the dash warning light isn't on.

Are there any common failure points on this ABS system that would cause the ABS to stop working without showing the warning light?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how do you know the ABS doesn't work?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 PM
campoj2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with Makmov, if the light is not on how do you know the ABS is not working?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

The ABS in my old C4 did not work because the PDAS controller was dead.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Makmov
Drifting

There are lots of reasons why the ABS stops working. Pumps are pretty common, speed sensors. However, why there is no light is a bit of a mystery.

I guess, it could be someone removed the bulb.

FWIW, I have found the ABS to be very mild-mannered. The way it should be, barely noticeable.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:34 AM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

The ABS warning light illuminates with the ignition turned on.

I know the ABS doesn't work because the brakes lock up at will (read tire flat spots )!
Old 02-18-2011, 03:21 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tuner1
The ABS warning light illuminates with the ignition turned on.

I know the ABS doesn't work because the brakes lock up at will (read tire flat spots )!

I had the same symptoms as you and agree that it's pretty easy to know that you're locking up and there is no ABS kicking in. I first cleaned the ABS sensors on each wheel - took them out, cleaned off all the iron filings stuck to them and vacuumed out the holes in the hubs where they fit. The ABS worked much better then but I still got the occasional lock up. I later found a tip on here about undoing the positive lead on the battery terminal, cleaning it all up with sand paper and shining up the tail lead that goes to the ABS controller. The ABS has worked fine since then.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:53 AM
nidon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Had similar on my C4, no warning lights but ABS was not working. Cleaned sensors made no difference.
Car was due a service so it went to my indie where the fluid was changed during service , also front pads where changed.
Problem went away.
He commented may have been pads as had EBC reds on front and standards on rear. Standard all round at present
Old 02-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tips. The braking system is currently 100% factory stock but I will check all the connections, grounds and wheel speed sensors.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:29 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you get to the bottom of this? I am also having the same issues. I even pulled the pump out and had it rebuilt, thinking (hoping) it would solve it, but it never.
I have cleaned all the sensors and poked and prodded everything, bled the car 5 times, 4 with a power bleeder and once the old fashioned way, ran a litre of new fluid through the system, read threads, Streathers book, you name it.
I would love to get to the bottom of this before driving for 4 hours to the dealer.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:04 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If u have the hydraulic assisted brakes, there are three big ticket failures. 1 the pdas controller which can get corroded contacts, 2 hydraulic pump, 3 abs modulator which produces the abs pulses (some call this the abs pump). Any of the electrics can suffer if you have damp in the front pan.

There is a specific bosch abs diagnostic tool thats mentioned in adrians book that makes life a lot easier.

In my case my local indy borrowed the tool after a month of trial and error and found the modulator was at fault, her also found two other c4 in his shop with similar issues; no warning light but non functioning abs. Basically i think the brakes are so good that abs comes on rarely and the tiny valves in the modulator get gummed up.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:16 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The high pressure hydraulic pump is for servo assistance and 4wd only and tends to cause warning lights when it fails. So if u have checked sensors and bled fluid, and have proper servo assist, just no abs then you need the bosch tool, or swap out pdas control or modulator for known good units (not forgetting that unless you have seen them working on the donor car either may look ok but be non functioning). This was the mistake my indy made, he had already swapped the modulator but the "tested" s/h replacement was also bad.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:54 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for that info Alex. At least it gives me something else to try. I will have a look at Streathers book and see where the PDAS controller is now!
It would be awesome if all this came down to a corroded terminal!
I will let you know of it works.
Cheers
Old 03-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Tuner1
Rennlist Member

Great info guys. It would be nice if it was something as simple as cleaning a few bits
Old 03-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

I have these parts if you need them. From 3.6 T
Elliot
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: No ABS but no warning light?? (C4/C2T)