Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin PS2 vs Continental SC2

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the 205's on the front boxsey?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:01 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Unkle
Do you have the 205's on the front boxsey?
Yes, the contis on the road wheels on the boxster and 964 are both 205s. Plenty of feel and grip for me when on normal roads. I have 225 Toyo R888s on the track wheels which I think are an advantage there. However they rub a fair bit when there is a lot of lock and under load.

Whether you're better staying with 225s I don't know but many think that they help counter some understeer on a C4.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Unkle,

You may want to read this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=69

Never had PS2s, but had the N-spec PS on the 964. Absolutely one of the worst tyres I've come across, but I guess it's old tech.

Had the CSC2 on my A6, and one thing that many don't realise is that they are the lightest in the max perf summer class. I liked them as they were good in the wet, though slightly squirmy on the limit (I understand that the PS2s are very good on the limit due to their strong, but heavy construction) and noisy past 5K km. Have changed to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric for the Audi, and much better.

I've moved to Sumitomo HTR Z111s on my 964 as I wanted cheap tyres as I'm moving up to 18" rims this year. Must say that I'm impressed.
Tirerack's view on them:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=93
Old 02-15-2011, 11:55 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Unkle,
Did you do a TireRack search? For 16'" wheels, I came up with a couple of unusual (and inexpensive) choices. F'stone F'hawk Wide Oval Indy 500 & Yok. S Drive
Old 02-16-2011, 02:51 AM
ACSGP
Pro

Originally Posted by vracer
Unkle,
Did you do a TireRack search? For 16'" wheels, I came up with a couple of unusual (and inexpensive) choices. F'stone F'hawk Wide Oval Indy 500 & Yok. S Drive
Are they N-spec? Believe that Unkle's looking for those, so options are limited. Pirelli, Michelin, Conti and Yokohama, AFAIK.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

I had a set of Michelin Pilot Sports that I just wore out and they were the quietest, best handling tires I've ever owned. I got good mileage out of them too. Suggest you check this link to Discount Tire and then click the reviews to see other similar opinions, including a comparison to the PS2's by someone who's owned both.

http://www.discounttire.com/dcs/tire...rar=50&rcs=225

Also, I've read a lot of negative reviews about how short lived the Contis are, and some opinions that they're noisier and don't grip as we'll as the Michelin's.

Good luck on your purchase.

And that hydroplaning is serious stuff. My wife totaled my very nice King Ranch p u in the rain last year because I let the tread get a little thin on back. They weren't even close to slick.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:17 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Correction on that link:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...C4&code=006407
Old 02-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Unkle
Pro

Thanks again.

Really appreciate the feedback from all, and while i was dead set on the PS2 i don't think they will offer the return on the 964 that Michelin can on other cars. I have used them many times though and will remain a fan of Michelins but in this case i think i may choose the Conti

I am looking for the N spec tyres specifically so just need to decide on the width, its a one off purchase so don't want to get them wrong if you know what i mean. I have a Germany and a seperate Belgium trip to do this year. Both will involve track work but not exclusively so i need a good dry/wet all round tyre thats not going to wear out in 5000 miles.

My bridgstones have suffered a lot of heavy heat circles (this is the hottest i have ever felt a car at the rear near the tyres that wasn't on fire ) and are looking worse for wear (fronts are new nearly) but will be doing all 4 to be safe.

@ Boxsey thanks -as you prob know my cup 1's are the after market type 7.5 width and can accommodate the 225, but as its a C4 i'm not sure whether to go back to 205 as the diffs do push a lot and create understeer. (although i have the corrective mods and don't notice it any more)

Not sure how its corrected by the tyre though. Doesn't the system just compensate and still create the same level of understeer via the accelerometers and pre-conceived angles?

Anyway has anyone changed back to 205 on a C4. I don't want to take a step backwards, but a sideways i can handle
Old 02-16-2011, 07:13 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

I don't think the fabled understeer of the C4 has much to do with the PDAS intervention as that's only there for the extremes of handling i.e. when the car loses traction. I believe the understeer is more associated with the C4 providing drive to the front wheels. When cornering, the tyres are both driving and turning and therefore they are trying to do two things at the same time. So since they're trying to drive the car forward, there is less lateral grip available to turn the car. Therefore increasing the width of the tyre should provide a little more grip to turn the car.

However, it sounds like you've been able to adapt your driving to deal with the understeer (plus the other modifications you've done to reduce it) so you probably won't notice much effect if you switch back to the 205s.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I don't think the fabled understeer of the C4 has much to do with the PDAS intervention as that's only there for the extremes of handling i.e. when the car loses traction. I believe the understeer is more associated with the C4 providing drive to the front wheels. When cornering, the tyres are both driving and turning and therefore they are trying to do two things at the same time. So since they're trying to drive the car forward, there is less lateral grip available to turn the car. Therefore increasing the width of the tyre should provide a little more grip to turn the car.

However, it sounds like you've been able to adapt your driving to deal with the understeer (plus the other modifications you've done to reduce it) so you probably won't notice much effect if you switch back to the 205s.
It's not that either.

It's the 300 extra pounds in the front.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 PM
MAHack
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by altarchsa
And that hydroplaning is serious stuff. My wife totaled my very nice King Ranch p u in the rain last year because I let the tread get a little thin on back. They weren't even close to slick.

Here's what happened with some worn out Michelin PS2 hitting standing water only doing about 60mph.
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 PM
ACSGP
Pro

Originally Posted by MAHack
Here's what happened with some worn out Michelin PS2 hitting standing water only doing about 60mph.
Woah, that'seriously bad. I wonder if the effect is exacerbated by the engine being in the rear when the front wheels lose grip with the back still pushing.

Unkle - I've found that with the N-specs, you'll get old tech, and they don't sell as well as a non N-spec due to smaller demand. What happens in the end is that you buy tyres which have a long manufacturing date (i.e. made in 2007 or 2008).

Comparing the Michelin PS to the Sumitomos, it's like night and day. The PS' were squirmy, and felt like that had very little grip. The HTR's haven't let me down yet, even in the wet.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:08 AM
Unkle
Pro

I though it was only 100 kg Makov, but either way I think what you say, along with Boxsey must all contribute to the understeer.

I personally noticed it more in deceleration than acceleration that’s why i thought it was due to the diff system being active (unless you touch the brake) but its greatly improved. Still not sure whether to take the gamble.

@ACSGP I understand, and may be misguided but I value the N rating with our old technological cars, I understand it may be a waste in many peoples eyes though.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Tuscany964
Racer

@ACSGP I understand, and may be misguided but I value the N rating with our old technological cars, I understand it may be a waste in many peoples eyes though.

I wanted some N rated tyres myself so I got a set of S-02's for road use. I'm glad I did it so I got it out of my system (and I use PZero Corsas on the track so they are my everyday tyre) but the S-02's are not nearly as good as the non-N RE 050's I had before. For a similar price I'd have no doubts RE 050's all the way! Just my 2 cents, I don't want to start an N rated vs non rated discussion.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM
Makmov
Drifting

I though it was only 100 kg Makov, but either way I think what you say, along with Boxsey must all contribute to the understeer.

I personally noticed it more in deceleration than acceleration that’s why i thought it was due to the diff system being active (unless you touch the brake) but its greatly improved. Still not sure whether to take the gamble.

100kg = 220 pounds. It's closer to 300 by time you add in all the extras, axles, the reinforced front structure. It's 300 pounds or so in the nose.

In any event, I haven't found it drastically different that a two wheel drive car. Yeah, a little tiny more push when you really start driving it hard.

Quick Reply: Michelin PS2 vs Continental SC2