Michelin PS2 vs Continental SC2

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Michelin PS2 vs Continental SC2

Hi

I am looking for some info on these tyres. I want N rated and if anyone has tried these 2 tyres i would like your feedback on how they compare?

I have Bridgestone SO2 but want to try something else. Having tried the Michelin in the past on other cars i can never get over the levels of grip and yet they always seem to out last the other tyre makes, but at £200 a tyre i wondered what the Conti is like.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Unkle; I know this is not an answer to your question, but have you considered the Conti Extreme Contact DW, I have a set on my car and I am very happy with their performance.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:34 PM
MAHack
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been through several sets of Michelin PS2s and Conti SC2s, but on 997s. I imagine similar experiences would be had on the 964.

The PS2 offers the best grip, when it's dry. The rears lasted me 8000 miles. I once pushed a set to 10000 when I didn't realize they were down to the cords and hydroplanned and rolled a C2S.

The SC2s have about 80% the dry weather grip of the ps2 but last 10000 miles, or even 12K if babied. Plus, they seem to shed water better. Also, when it gets below 50 degrees F, they don't seem to have such an abrupt loss of grip like the PS2s have.

Again, just my experiences on a 997. YMMV

Mark
Old 02-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Unkle
Pro

Thanks very much guys

I am really looking at N rated (i know thats for another discussion) but its good you had positive comments about the Conti's crg53.

Interesting result from cold weather use. I have had experience of cold Michelins (ok it was snow) on a light car that wasn't great, but i thought they were/are fantastic in all other conditions. Did the Conti outlast the Michelins too then? never thought they would, perhaps i can save the £200 on a set if it appears that the performance is good and they have similar longevity.

Keep the feedback coming please, if you have used both types
Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 PM
gchristofi
Racer

I absolutely love the summer performance of the PS2 over the contis i had. I have never noticed any lesser performance in the cold or we either. No contest for me.
PS2 all the way.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Unkle
Pro

Thanks mate, what is the wear rate like? I want a high level of performance but also a measure of longevity

Perhaps i should have reworded the title a little better - how do the PS2 and SC2 both compare to the S02 that i will be replacing all round? I just checked the tread wear rating of my Bridgestone N3 S02 and its says 140. How does this Compared to PS2 or SC2 Conti's in the real world?

Just did a little search.

Bridgestone N3 S02 - Tread wear rating 140
Michelin Pilot Sport 2 - Tread wear rating 220
Continentals Sport Contact 2 - tread wear rating 280

Are the Bridgestone really that bad compared to the others for wear? Their is a relationship between tread wear and performance but i doubt i will see a massive drop in performance from the Bridgestone to the other 2. What do you think of the info?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
Hi Unkle; I know this is not an answer to your question, but have you considered the Conti Extreme Contact DW, I have a set on my car and I am very happy with their performance.

+1

Conti also makes an Extreme Contact DWS (Dry Wet Snow) for the cold weather in case ye have another wild winter. High treadwear ratings and reasonably priced.
Not be ideal for pure summer performance though.

Click Here
Old 02-14-2011, 04:24 PM
ray stobbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just replaced thr rears with the second set of contis got 10k out of them and had 4mm left but didant want to take them ant futher you need all the help you can get with a c2 im pleased with the grip levels they give paid £130 each fitted 255 x17
Old 02-14-2011, 04:25 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Originally Posted by Unkle
Thanks mate, what is the wear rate like? I want a high level of performance but also a measure of longevity

Perhaps i should have reworded the title a little better - how do the PS2 and SC2 both compare to the S02 that i will be replacing all round? I just checked the tread wear rating of my Bridgestone N3 S02 and its says 140. How does this Compared to PS2 or SC2 Conti's in the real world?

Just did a little search.

Bridgestone N3 S02 - Tread wear rating 140
Michelin Pilot Sport 2 - Tread wear rating 220
Continentals Sport Contact 2 - tread wear rating 280

Are the Bridgestone really that bad compared to the others for wear? Their is a relationship between tread wear and performance but i doubt i will see a massive drop in performance from the Bridgestone to the other 2. What do you think of the info?

Wish I could help you with that. The contis wear was pretty good but I just never got on with their lack of ultimate dry grip. Especially understeer type. I've had the PS2s a couple of years now but only managed less than 1500 miles in that time. That does include a couple of track days though and the wear looks OK.. if I were doing more miles it might be a consideration but at this rate they're likely to go brittle before I wear em out!!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:27 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Originally Posted by ray stobbs
just replaced thr rears with the second set of contis got 10k out of them and had 4mm left but didant want to take them ant futher you need all the help you can get with a c2 im pleased with the grip levels they give paid £130 each fitted 255 x17
ray, you got it all wrong.... road tyres are at their best in that short time between semi-slick and illegal....
Old 02-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Unkle
Pro

Well mine are very low on the back but with a track day up in 2 weeks i want to finish them off and then change. Don't want deep new tread blocks moving around too much on the track (which i would have with new tyres).

I still can't believe the high wear rate of the S02 translated into tyre performance over the other 2, i can't see it myself, hence the reason to ask/change.

If i can ask another question...

Do i really see a significant improvement in the 225/45r17 on the front over the 205/50r17? I have the 225/45r17 at the moment, but was thinking of going back to the original tyre. I am under the impression i may get better feel from the original dimensions, or is that misguided?

Would i regret it?

I have a C4 BTW (with a few suspension tweaks - Bilstein, Eibach's and 21mm R/anti roll bar)

Last edited by Unkle; 02-15-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:14 PM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the ps2 and get them from camskill. They had the best price when I bought some late last year. In the end I went with event tyres as they cod come and fit the next day and I really hate waiting for things once I've made up my mind.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Michelin PS2s I had great dry traction, poor wet traction and only lasted about 5 seconds (8k).
The Kumo Solus not quite as good dry, much better wet and lasted a lot longer, but were noise.
The Dunlop SP2s I liked good alround traction, didn't own them long enough to know what ware was like, and they were quite.

I like Michelins in the dry but they are pricey and don't last any length of time, and were not so good in the wet. The Dunlop was a more balanced dry/wet tire, but I yet to come across a tire with the same dry traction as the Michelins, even to Bridgestone Potenza, which really sucks in the wet or below 40 degrees.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Unkle
Pro

Had a look at Camskill and they are great prices, I have a contact at a fitting place who will supply and fit for a little more, as most of the local places either won't touch fitting other people tyres or charge £25 a tyre to do so.

What are your opinions on the front tyres 205 vs 225 theory? I have the 225 on the front but was thinking about just jumping back to the factory tyre. as i said above I am under the impression i may get better feel (but a little less grip) from the original dimensions, or is that misguided?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Unkle; 02-15-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:29 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAHack
I've been through several sets of Michelin PS2s and Conti SC2s, but on 997s. I imagine similar experiences would be had on the 964.

The PS2 offers the best grip, when it's dry. The rears lasted me 8000 miles. I once pushed a set to 10000 when I didn't realize they were down to the cords and hydroplanned and rolled a C2S.

The SC2s have about 80% the dry weather grip of the ps2 but last 10000 miles, or even 12K if babied. Plus, they seem to shed water better. Also, when it gets below 50 degrees F, they don't seem to have such an abrupt loss of grip like the PS2s have.

Again, just my experiences on a 997. YMMV

Mark
Exactly my experience but on a boxster. I went from the conti to the mich and now back to the conti because I didn't think the mich were worth the extra. I also like the progressive breakaway of the contis. The mich had almost too much grip and then a sudden let go. My 964 has always been on contis for the road.

Quick Reply: Michelin PS2 vs Continental SC2