Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whale Tail- and Price and Mile question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 04:11 PM
danwink
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure if it is a C2 turbo, but the parts were purchased from the dealer in April 1993. I have not seen the car in person yet, but i have a photo of the original order for parts and it appears to be the turbo.(965-512-021-00-01c) http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-94/803-20.php

It appears to be all show and no go from the suspension perspective- i know he ordered 9x17 wheels that were 817 dollars each in 1993!! All of the parts are body specific, so I think the car has standard suspension.

He did purchase a new bumper, pan, supports, panes, rear hood, grill, air ducts, front fenders and rear quarters, sill trim, etc. Everything but the brakes and suspension bits.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by danwink
totally stock 1992 C2 with 41K miles.
From your further description, sounds like this car is far from stock. Is it a C2 that was modified with original parts to look like a turbo? If that is the case, it's tough to assess a price for a modified car that has been painted. In addition to the mechanical PPI, I'd bring the car to a good body-shop to check on the quality of the body work and to make sure it wasn't an accident repair. From the pictures it looks like a great car - hope it works out for you.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:29 AM
danwink
Instructor

I am cautiously optimistic on the car, double checked carfax, nothing looks out of place.

I have a PPI scheduled for Wednesday and have a offer pending the PPI results.

I will keep you all in the loop, pray for a clean PPI!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:56 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by danwink
I am cautiously optimistic on the car, double checked carfax, nothing looks out of place.

I have a PPI scheduled for Wednesday and have a offer pending the PPI results.

I will keep you all in the loop, pray for a clean PPI!!!
Don't rely on carfax. I have an Audi that my daughter has gotten into 4 accidents. All were fixed at reputable body shops on State Farm Insurance. None show up on the carfax.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, very nice... The Turbo-body on these cars is just sexy as hell. I slightly prefer "no tail", but I could go either way, both looks are great.
41K miles is enough to have kept things juiced up and limber, it's not like 410 miles. I love low-mile cars, I personally would rather deal with a few things dried out and gummed up vs. the wear and fatigue of high miles, but that's just me.
If you have the time and opportunity to be there for the PPI that's great, but I had a few PPI's done long-distance on cars before I bought and I was confident in the results presented. I always felt like I could trust the shops I was dealing with. None of them were the same shops the owners' used for their service work.

If you get this for anywhere near $20K, you have done very well. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:13 AM
danwink
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Nice, very nice... The Turbo-body on these cars is just sexy as hell. I slightly prefer "no tail", but I could go either way, both looks are great.
41K miles is enough to have kept things juiced up and limber, it's not like 410 miles. I love low-mile cars, I personally would rather deal with a few things dried out and gummed up vs. the wear and fatigue of high miles, but that's just me.
If you have the time and opportunity to be there for the PPI that's great, but I had a few PPI's done long-distance on cars before I bought and I was confident in the results presented. I always felt like I could trust the shops I was dealing with. None of them were the same shops the owners' used for their service work.

If you get this for anywhere near $20K, you have done very well. Good luck!
Thanks for the vote of confidence, the PPI is happening in the morning and we have agreed on 22k provided we don't find anything over $500 to repair.

The shop that is inspecting the car has a great reputation.

The tail has grown on me, I didn't really understand all the work that went into getting this car "turbo looked" and it has grown on me. I originally thought it was just a normal 964 with a turbo tail, but I am on board now!!

I looked at the carfax, and it does appear that the car has consistently driven at least a couple of thousand miles each year, so things should have stayed pretty conditioned, and it has also lived in a garage in the bay/Sacramento area, so pretty friendly climates.

I will report back in tomorrow evening, but hopefully I will be joining the ranks soon!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 PM
danwink
Instructor

Good news, she passed the PPI with flying colors!

My deposit will be in his account in the morning and I will be driving soon!

The only issues- distributor has not been vented, belts cracked, windshield wipers are tired, and the car will need tires. Oh, and the climate control valve (left) is bad.

The quality of the body work was 'remarkable' and the turbo look includes all of the smaller bits and pieces. He said it was near new condition.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

great news and good deal! Welcome
Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 PM
tim911pcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CONGRATS!!!!!! That car is super nice..
Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 PM
danwink
Instructor

I am flying up on Saturday to get it- I am coming back to vegas via Route 1 on the coast of California for some good bonding time (Monterey to San Luis Obispo), good wineries, good racetracks (Laguna Seca), good scenery, good roads!

I will then head back to Vegas via Death Valley as the flowers should be in bloom.

I spent time today readying the garage for the 964!!

The Jeep needs to find another home, that will now be the home of the 964.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy it in good health.

Quick Reply: Whale Tail- and Price and Mile question