Sponsored by:

What is this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 10:53 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this?

What is the little red light next to the headlight switch? Alarm?
I have not seen it illuminate with doors locked.
Any ideas?
J
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Dave White
Racer

Probably an aftermarket alarm that has been disconnected or removed. My car interestingly has one in the same place. I also notice you have an led between the tach and the speedo, also like mine, which was used for a built in radar detector. My on/off volume **** is directly below on the underside of the gauge panel, pointing down. I think these might have been common dealer installed items when these cars came out. Imagine buying a 70k car without an alarm?! Obviously, they do have a horn honk and fuel pump cut off from the factory, but no shock or tilt sensors.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
That's really funny... all mine has left there is the hole.
Oh - that, and a cut wire poking out from where the side of the dash meets the door pillar, which I figure must have been part of it. Knowing now that there were so many that look similar, I agree, it must have been something Porsche supplied for the dealer to install, or they had a supply deal with an aftermarket co.

I don't remember alarms being really prevalent until the early-mid '90's. Seems like that's when the sound of alarms randomly going off in parking lots for no reason, and at all hours, suddenly became common.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Not a factory piece.
But alarm sounds good.

Making this the light to the machine that goes, 'ping!'... among other curbside noises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCIT..._safety_mode=1
Old 02-04-2011, 06:06 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by elbeee964
Not a factory piece.
But alarm sounds good.

Making this the light to the machine that goes, 'ping!'... among other curbside noises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCIT..._safety_mode=1
This stuff never gets old!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:44 AM
Dave White
Racer

By the way, my radar detector antenna unit was mounted in front of the drivers wheel well on top of the air cond. condenser, which eventually vibrated a hole in it, necessitating
replacement. I would check to see where yours is at, there was a ribbon cable that could be traced to it in the front trunk. At some point, I am planning on completely eliminating the holes to remove all traces of both.

Quick Reply: What is this?