Sponsored by:

opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:43 PM
napaul
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default opinions wanted

ok so i bought an 89 c4 and engine is being rebuilt as we speak at elegant motors in edmonton alberta.has anyone ever had their clutch re lined and dmf machined and encountered any issues i know it is not the best solution but since i just dropped a pile of money to buy the car budget is tight? as well the car is guards and i saw some nice jobs of powdercoating done on the d90 wheels.what do you guys think od guards red with black powder coated d90 and possibly red pin stiping.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Dave White
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not skimp on the clutch, as it would cost you a fortune to redo it later for something that was overlooked while the engine was out, since the engine would have to come back out. You do not have a dual mass, so you may just need a new friction disk and possibly machine the flywheel, and maybe a bearing or 2. As for the wheels, never seen d90's painted like that, so if it floats your boat.... I would say save the wheel mod money and do the clutch right the first time. Wheels can easily be done later.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:53 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by napaul
ok so i bought an 89 c4 and engine is being rebuilt as we speak at elegant motors in edmonton alberta.has anyone ever had their clutch re lined and dmf machined and encountered any issues i know it is not the best solution.........
Yes and yes and both were disasters. I used a large, well known specialty brake and clutch service company in San Antonio and requested best lining on clutch. It lasted less than 5k mi. Also once had a reputable machine shop resurface flywheel and tolerances are apparently very limited cause that didn't work either.

If you're really on a budget, and I know what that can be like, I suggest you source a good used disk here or at reputable dismantlers. It's easy to measure disk thickness and get one with plenty of lining left. I found one that a Rennlister had that was in really good shape. Seller just wanted to put a new one in while he was in there, which is preferable, but the one I got has already lasted a couple of years with no signs of reaching wear limits. Be sure you get one for an 89. It's a one-off and no other 964 disks/pressure plates work.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

If you have an 89 , you don't have a DMF . The 89 came with a "normal" one piece flywheel .
The stock 89 disc has a big rubber piece .

The center force set up might be something to look into .
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTF-DF021044
Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 AM
napaul
Racer

well i don't want to cheap out and risk damage so i have the flywheel being machined and i am getting a new friction disk,release fork,and pilot bearing. i was not aware there was a big rubber cushion that needed to be replaced on the friction disk of these cars. as for any cosmetic changes i will wait on those until ia m sure it is running in tip top condition. after reading some posts on here i realized how handy this durametric kit he gave me is gonna be. i read you can check codes and us it to bleed the pdas and brakes.hopefully this pic turns out of my new car waiting for the motor to be finished

Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Napaul,
I replaced the friction disc in my previous 89 with this one from Vertex and it outlasted the car. It looks like a normal clutch disc as opposed to that big rubber thing, and is a fraction the cost of a centerforce or Sachs. But be sure to phone them and confirm as i believe the 89 uses a unique disc.
Pressure plate and flywheel i sourced at an online canadian place cheaper than stateside or norden. I'm sure others will agree - when replacing the clutch replace everything associated with it (ie, throwout bearing, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, etc...). It is a bit of a job getting it all apart and if you don't do it yourself the labour costs will astound you.

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/6...sc%205312.aspx

FWIW, this is what the OEM 89's clutch kit looks like:
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 PM
napaul
Racer

hey frankvan i notice you are in st albert.good to know we are almost neighbors i live on the north side of edmonton alberta a jump skip and hop away. anyways i appreciate the info just looked at it and it looks worthwhile looking into it. just got my flywheel back cost me $30 to get it machined and i have a new pilot bearing already for it.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:07 AM
Dave White
Racer

Have the mechanic replace the clutch slave cylinder while everything is out, less than $100, and will be a problem area with our cars and their age. The pedal won't return right when it goes. Nice purchase and good luck!
Old 02-05-2011, 01:00 AM
2specs
Instructor

Hey Napaul, I have a 3.3 turbo with Ed waiting to be installed as we speak. I should have my car there in a week or so.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:37 AM
napaul
Racer

yes now that you mention it i saw your engine there last week when i went to pick up the flywheel to send out to be machined and asked ed what it was for he said someone wanted him to put a 3.3 turbo into there sc for more power. how long you been dealing with ed?seems like a real nice guy to deal with...
Old 02-27-2011, 02:19 AM
2specs
Instructor

Originally Posted by napaul
yes now that you mention it i saw your engine there last week when i went to pick up the flywheel to send out to be machined and asked ed what it was for he said someone wanted him to put a 3.3 turbo into there sc for more power. how long you been dealing with ed?seems like a real nice guy to deal with...
Sorry for the delay. I have known Ed since last summer. I've seen many exotics at his shop. This is the first time he will be working on my car. Ed is more excited about the conversion than I am I think which is a good thing. My car is in his shop now and will start the work this week. Hope to see you there, on the road.

ps. are you done your rebuild yet? Also I see your on the North side. I'm in Carlton. I'll PM my phone number to you.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:46 AM
napaul
Racer

hey sammy thanx for the cell# i'm hoping once i get my car we can hook up and i can meet you in person along with frankvan and some of the other canadian members of the pcar brotherhood.as for where my rebuild is as far as i know a promise date was agreed to in writing of march 19....i have given him a $ 5k deposit and remainder when keys are handed over.when i went there 2 weeks ago he was just finishing off a lamborgini gallardo that he was doing a brake job to , clutch, and exhaust mod for the owner and waiting for some parts to arrive from germany for the porche cayenne then he was going to bring my car in and start working on it...so i guess we will see
Old 02-28-2011, 05:18 PM
2specs
Instructor

My car is there now but with the weather I am in no rush to get it back. It looks like he will be working on both our cars at the same time so I will see him in the next day or so and let him know I can wait. There is a 914 3.0 conversion he's doing soon as well and my 3.0 engine is the donor so interested to follow that project as well. I can't wait for this crappy weather to turn around. So sick of it.

Quick Reply: opinions wanted