Sponsored by:

good idea bad idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 AM
alanp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good idea bad idea

another 12 inches of snow here in the Northeast & no chance of getting the car out for some time. I have the car on a battery tender but am wondering if I should warm the car up every few days...idle only just to keep things lubricated & blow out any condensation...or just let it sit 'til I can get it out for a good run.

thanks much
AP
Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I would just leave it, do not run the engine as you will create more condensation by letting it idle; if sitting for more than a few month, I would add fuel stabilizer prior to storing it.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:32 AM
alanp
Instructor

Originally Posted by crg53
I would just leave it, do not run the engine as you will create more condensation by letting it idle; if sitting for more than a few month, I would add fuel stabilizer prior to storing it.

Thanks crg...I'l leave it.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Alan:
There is a pretty detailed list of steps to follow if you plan on storing your car for a long period of time. I take it you are like me and never really "store" the car, just don't drive it in snow or really bad weather. Mine is plugged in to a ctek battery maintainer. I think as long as we are not letting them sit for months on end, just leave it until you can take it out and drive it so it get nice and hot.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+ 1 Just leave set for now.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:49 AM
alanp
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Alan:
There is a pretty detailed list of steps to follow if you plan on storing your car for a long period of time. I take it you are like me and never really "store" the car, just don't drive it in snow or really bad weather. Mine is plugged in to a ctek battery maintainer. I think as long as we are not letting them sit for months on end, just leave it until you can take it out and drive it so it get nice and hot.
Exactly C51. The snow & salt conditions have just not let up long enuff to get out & altho it gives me time to get some routine maint done.....I miss cranking it up. Hopefully next week things will improve.

Thanks again fellas
Old 01-27-2011, 11:55 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts

Idling an engine isn't good for an engine. It's bad for an engine. Per Porsche engineers themselves.

BTW, interesting note: The most damaging part of running a motor, under normal circumstances, is starting it. This is why idling a car to "warm it" is a bad idea and why highway miles are so much better on an engine than short trip miles. Best thing to do is not idle; don't drive until you can take a trip of at least 15 min., longer is better. Motors are built to run. Fuel mixtures, operating temps, oil distribution all work better during proper use.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

define "long period of time".

I let me sit for 4-5 months of the year with no sta-bil or anything in the gas. I just battery-tender it and put a nice fresh tank of gas in before I store it

Quick Reply: good idea bad idea