Wow, good link...Thanks!
J
Old 01-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by theGekko
Laker
I asked him to see if the DMF had been updated !
You can't see if the DMF has been updated without dropping the engine and splitting the engine / tranny. You can only find a record of it being updated.

The rattle is clue that it is the original and on it's way out. Good luck, fingers crossed!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 AM
theGekko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Laker
You can't see if the DMF has been updated without dropping the engine and splitting the engine / tranny. You can only find a record of it being updated.

The rattle is clue that it is the original and on it's way out. Good luck, fingers crossed!
I read a 964 buyer's guide in 911 & Porsche World magazine the an experienced technician could see through access holes under the car to see if the update has been done. The new flywheel will have a bolted on starter ring gear instead of a welded on one.
I asked them to look and they said they would "try". Unfortunately, I don't think I am going to find much paperwork on this car.
(Fingers and toes crossed!)
J
Old 01-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I read a 964 buyer's guide in 911 & Porsche World magazine the an experienced technician could see through access holes under the car to see if the update has been done. The new flywheel will have a bolted on starter ring gear instead of a welded on one.
I asked them to look and they said they would "try". Unfortunately, I don't think I am going to find much paperwork on this car.
(Fingers and toes crossed!)
J
Excellent!, my wrench was unaware of this, and he is quite experienced.
I am making a note of this. Thanks for correcting me~

I have also learned that U.S. Porsche dealers' records are not centralized unless it relates to a federally mandated recall. If the owner's manual is there, you could look up the original dealership and ask them to check if they did replace the DMF or added a head-gasket. Worth a shot. My car's dealership is long gone (Bayside Porsche in Seattle) so I'm SOL.

Also my rattle upon shutdown could be a sign of impending DMF failure comment... please ignore that as I am going to remove it from the earlier post....

Could be one of many things, could be totally normal.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...turned-of.html
Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by Laker
Excellent!, my wrench was unaware of this, and he is quite experienced.
I am making a note of this. Thanks for correcting me~

I have also learned that U.S. Porsche dealers' records are not centralized unless it relates to a federally mandated recall. If the owner's manual is there, you could look up the original dealership and ask them to check if they did replace the DMF or added a head-gasket. Worth a shot. My car's dealership is long gone (Bayside Porsche in Seattle) so I'm SOL.

Also my rattle upon shutdown could be a sign of impending DMF failure comment... please ignore that as I am going to remove it from the earlier post....

Could be one of many things, could be totally normal.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...turned-of.html
NP!..I think you sent me the PDF of the buyers guide. Maybe not, tho..I have had so many people here help me out in my quest!
J
Old 01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Joe,

If the PPI fails, here is a back up 964 from Winston Salem

Red 93 C2 Cabrio for 15K

Miles are on the high side but looks decent from the photos.
I wonder how the top is.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/2181450914.html

John
Old 01-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe:
Do I understand that it's $225 for the PPI including leakdown? If so, that's a heck of a deal. Even if it's $100 plus $225, that's still a good deal. I looked at a 964 cab in VA near DC, his shop wanted $550 for the same service (prob market-area-driven). I passed on that one (for other reasons). The Porsche dealer who I ultimately bought my car from also wanted some crazy amt. (~$900) for a PPI with leakdown. They acted like they'd never heard of a 'PPI' before. It was long-distance and I knew no other shops in the area, so I rolled the dice and went without. I ended up going without, and it worked out okay. I had been looking at 3.2's originally and had 2 other cars checked out. One had leakdown's of 5-7%; the other was 5-8%, with one cyl. at 20%. Both owners swore they ran smooth and strong. I passed on both for different reasons, but I might have bought the 5-7% one otherwise. The 20% one, I don't know... This is where you have an advantage being local to the car. They told me the leakage was from an exhaust valve. If the car has been too sedately driven, I was told that could just be carbon. If I were local and I could talk somebody into giving it a long, spirited drive and then retest, I might have gotten much better numbers. Tougher to do long distance. There are only so many hoops most owners will jump through.

This assumes that they conduct the leakdown correctly, of course. I've seen a couple PPI's where the numbers were wacky and useless, which was a shame for the buyer to have paid for a leakdown by a tech who was unfamiliar with the process.

One point about 'body/chassis' stuff: it's been my observation that most mechanical shops can be trusted to spot suspension and undercarriage corrosion, but when you get into bodywork, paint work and "dents/dings", they are less confident because that's really not their "thing". They may miss or gloss over things. A body shop that works on Porsche's is best for this if you're compelled to find out definitively.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:09 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Laker, yes..It was just $225 with leakdown and compression!
It was a good thing I did that too! EuroWerks was great to work with. Jim did my PPI and was very thorough and spoke with me for over 30 mins after to discuss the results and what it all means.
I have created a new post with the results.
J
Old 01-29-2011, 03:32 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Joe,

If the PPI fails, here is a back up 964 from Winston Salem

Red 93 C2 Cabrio for 15K

Miles are on the high side but looks decent from the photos.
I wonder how the top is.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/2181450914.html

John
Thanks, John..I sent you a PM
Old 01-29-2011, 04:08 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Laker, yes..It was just $225 with leakdown and compression!
It was a good thing I did that too! EuroWerks was great to work with. Jim did my PPI and was very thorough and spoke with me for over 30 mins after to discuss the results and what it all means.
I have created a new post with the results.
J
I think you got the local rate, EuroWerks charged me $425
Old 01-29-2011, 04:20 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by SuperUser
I think you got the local rate, EuroWerks charged me $425
For what year? They said there are different rates for different model years. I didn't say where I was from when I asked for a quote, just where the car was and that it was a 91 targa

J
Old 01-30-2011, 12:57 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

For what year? They said there are different rates for different model years. I didn't say where I was from when I asked for a quote, just where the car was and that it was a 91 targa

J
It was for a 90 I did not think twice about it, the priced was consistent with what others have paid. I think you just got a super deal on the PPI, sorry to hear it did not totally work out for you. When I was looking I almost gave up and picked up another 993.

goodLuck.

Quick Reply: PPI Advice