Sponsored by:

Met the 91 Targa!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:01 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Met the 91 Targa!

I went ahead and saw and drove the car. I was really impressed! All the paint looked good. Had only a small "door ding" that was only visible with a look down the side line of the car. One wheel had a very small rash; the others were all clean. The top part of the spoiler curtain was missing. Just 2-3 stone chips on the bonnet. New tires. Interior was fresh and clean. I am going to get a PPI and if good, make an offer.

One thing, though...There was something that happened after the test drive. When the car came to a stop, the engine oscillated between 800-1200 rpm's. I turned the heater fan to 0 and it stopped. Any suggestions?
Also, any ideas on PPI's in the Statesville,or Charlotte, NC area?
Thanks
J

Last edited by theGekko; 01-24-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:16 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Great news Joe! Are you still thinking about that test drive? Glad you were impressed.

I'm sure other PPI options might be closer, but if you're driving then Speedwerks is one option. Great shop with lots of eye candy to look at while you're there: http://www.speedwerksllc.com/about_speedwerks.htm

Tell them Udo sent you.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:29 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Great news Joe! Are you still thinking about that test drive? Glad you were impressed.

I'm sure other PPI options might be closer, but if you're driving then Speedwerks is one option. Great shop with lots of eye candy to look at while you're there: http://www.speedwerksllc.com/about_speedwerks.htm

Tell them Udo sent you.
YES! I didn't want to get out of the car! I think Speedwerks may be a bit to far away for the seller. He is taking the car to the PPI and I will meet him there. Charlotte is only 30 miles or so from his house.
I may drop by Speedwerks if/when I get the car!
J
Old 01-24-2011, 01:59 PM
alanp
Instructor

Originally Posted by theGekko
I went ahead and saw and drove the car. I was really impressed! All the paint looked good. Had only a small "door ding" that was only visible with a look down the side line of the car. One wheel had a very small rash; the others were all clean. The top part of the spoiler curtain was missing. Just 2-3 stone chips on the bonnet. New tires. Interior was fresh and clean. I am going to get a PPI and if good, make an offer.

One thing, though...There was something that happened after the test drive. When the car came to a stop, the engine oscillated between 800-1200 rpm's. I turned the heater fan to 0 and it stopped. Any suggestions?
Thanks
J
Nothing like that first test drive...gets the 'ol blood flowing huh. I had never driven a Porsche 'til I picked up this 964 and the test drive was an incredible wind thru the gears to 125mph.....took 20 minutes to get the smile off my face & a "holy #*%#" when I got out of the car.

Hope all goes well & enjoy

AP
Old 01-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theGekko

Thanks
J
I'll take a rough shot and say 'idle control valve'??? Not sure about the voltage change symptom when you play with the blower control, though... If so, it's not a huge deal, but definitely an issue.

Boy, it's been around, huh? That's not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe like a good dog whose owners keep leaving him behind when they move.
It sounds an awful lot like my '91 targa, which was leased in Chicago for the 1st. 3 years (looks like your Carfax), and yes, driven in salt. Maybe not driven in the winter after that, by looking at the miles - but I can tell you that it matters, even with galvanized bodies. It corrodes up every susceptible fitting underneath - especially if it didn't get serviced often. Other than that, it sounds pretty good. At 20 years old, with or without records, you really have to go on what the car sitting in front of you looks like (as in, the PPI). If the engine checks out, if all the systems check out and it isn't leaking like a sieve from every seam, and it has a general look like it's been taken care of (not a lot of wear and things falling off of it everywhere), it's probably a good one.

Good luck, and post the results.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:31 PM
theGekko
Instructor

Barry
Yes it has seen many different locales! I have been researching the idle issue here and have found some possibilities:
1)O2 sensor...this car has an aftermarket exhaust and it may not have been connected right
2)Vacuum leak in the throttle body
3) As you said, ICV
I will have the PPI guy look into these things. It only happened when hot, after the ride. Idled ok when cold before the ride.

The car looked pretty tight with all "things" attached an in good shape.
J
Old 01-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

check the oil level, had the same problem when overfilled once. Required an ISV clean out to get back to normal
Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Cool, another potential Targa in the Raleigh area

Hope the PPI goes well.

Are you a member of the PCA?

John
Old 01-25-2011, 03:01 AM
theGekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Cool, another potential Targa in the Raleigh area

Hope the PPI goes well.

Are you a member of the PCA?

John
Thanks!
No, I thought you had to own one first!
J
Old 01-25-2011, 07:46 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Joe,

The PCA has a "quest" program

Don't own a Porsche yet? PCA Quest might be for you!

Although membership in PCA requires ownership/lease of a Porsche or that you be in a Porsche-related business, we do offer something for those of you actively trying to become Porsche owners.

John
Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 AM
theGekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Joe,

The PCA has a "quest" program

Don't own a Porsche yet? PCA Quest might be for you!

Although membership in PCA requires ownership/lease of a Porsche or that you be in a Porsche-related business, we do offer something for those of you actively trying to become Porsche owners.

John
Great! I'll check it out.
J
Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Hope you like coffee? I see some cars & coffee events coming up in your future! Plus, have you been to VIR? Buying the car is only the beginning of the adventure...

pic. 1 - Wake Zone Coffee run (Saturday weekly, meet and DRIVE)
pic. 2 - random C&C pic for the big show at Briar Creek (1st Sat. includes the Italia Club)
pic. 3 - VIR parking lot
Attached Images    
Old 01-25-2011, 10:12 AM
theGekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Hope you like coffee? I see some cars & coffee events coming up in your future! Plus, have you been to VIR? Buying the car is only the beginning of the adventure...

pic. 1 - Wake Zone Coffee run (Saturday weekly, meet and DRIVE)
pic. 2 - random C&C pic for the big show at Briar Creek (1st Sat. includes the Italia Club)
pic. 3 - VIR parking lot
Very cool! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Met the 91 Targa!