Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumpsteer at RS height - Good, bad or ugly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Thank Geoffrey. I'll keep investigating options.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm just not a good compromise type of guy...a street / track car just doesn't do anything great ie, not a good street car, and not a good track car.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:18 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Does anyone have experince from std. coilovers, my thought is to go from Bilstein HD:s /HR reds to std R3.s Input I got so far is good price performance.. road and track 3-4 times a year..
Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Honestly, I don't really have a good answer for you. I deal mainly with racing cars, so that is where my knowledge is - Moton, JRZ, Ohlins double/triple type setups. The only reason my street car has the HR Red and Bilstein HDs is that they were removed from the doner car turned into my race car. Seemed like an easy an inexpensive way to get rid of the 4x4 stock ride height in my stock car.

With that said, we've installed the JIC Cross suspension in two of the street/track cars and they were surprisingly good on the street after some tuning, but I never had a chance to drive them on the track and cannot comment.
I have JIC's with 10 & 14 KG program. on the 965 track car . very good and no issues in lowering. I would say that those springs are to stiff for DD
On my 996 TT I have the same set up with 8 &12 KG program . they are really nice for the street and some track work.
I think JICs are a very good product but they are a lousy company to deal with.
my02s
Elliot
Old 01-31-2011, 01:32 AM
airiscool
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geoffrey,

You lost me!

In regards to the widebody 964 geometry first you said
It makes a noticable difference in handling due to the scrub radius changes.
which I assumed you meant in a positive way but then you said:

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
The 964 WB will have worse bump steer than a NB due to the fact the tie rod is longer so it moves a greater distance for a give compression or rebound of the damper. A WB with correct front suspension position mounting has much better geometry than a WB with the front suspension left in the NB position.
Why would a WB car ever have the suspension mounted in the NB position?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

some people convert a NB to a WB but do not understand about the suspension settings. I've noticed it on almost every conversion that I've seen. Turbohead above is one example.

The WB does have a better overall geometry, but by the nature of the longer tie rods will have worse bump steer to manage ie reduce the suspension travel, use a bump steer kit, etc.

Quick Reply: Bumpsteer at RS height - Good, bad or ugly?