Sponsored by:

HELP Cannot open Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:44 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP Cannot open Trunk

A fast note I was out on a trip and pulled on the trunk lever and had a pop and the trunk would not open. The wire is still hook up to the lever but seems like there is not much spring tension as the lever hangs a bit loose. If I was to take this to a dealer what would they do to get it opened or what would you do.
Gotta get the cell charger out and tooth brush and orange joice before it spoils.
Thanks Randy
Old 01-16-2011, 11:14 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

RW,
Checkout this link:
Front Hood release cable failure.
by: By Keith V of CA
What to do when you pull the front hood release handle and the cable breaks.

http://www.rsamerica.net/articles/te...se_article.htm
Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Depending on what year your car is, you may have an emergency release cable, tucked in behind the left front directional.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:38 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by newsboy
Depending on what year your car is, you may have an emergency release cable, tucked in behind the left front directional.
Sorry, but that is not correct. From 1992 and on you may have a second release cable just above the A/C condenser in the left front fender, you will need to remove the liner.
The engine lid is the one with a second release cable in the left REAR light.
If you do not have the second release cable, cross all your fingers and toes and say 10 Hail Mary's or anything else that might help, and maybe your problem is the outer cable, which can become dislodged and move with the inner cable. The way to check this, unscrew the plastic housing that includes the lever ( 2 screws through the holes on the side), move it away from the carpet so you can see the outer cable, then pull the handle and see what happens, if the outer cable (black one) moves with the inner you have now found your problem, if not please report back and we will take it from there.

Here is a LINK to a thread when I had a similar problem.

The 2 cables in question are # 28 and #29

Attached Images  

Last edited by crg53; 01-17-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you have the earlier year model, AND GET IT OPEN, add the cable (both front and rear) just for a backup!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the emergency cable as described on the RS does not exist on '89-'91's. There was a long thread about someone trying different methods, including opening up a hole in the bottom of the trunk and snaking a cable claw to the latch. Don't know if the ultimate solution was ever posted. Maybe the guy's trunk is still locked shut.

Somebody posted a good DIY about attaching a bicycle cable to the latch and leading it out to the fender. Guess the horse is out of the barn already on that one in this case, sorry. It was always on my To-Do list. One of these days, I'll probably be sorry I never got to it.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:02 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Bearclaw, you may be referring to the LINK in post #4; I did eventually get mine open, but it was a lot of swearing and frustrations; do not wish this on my worst enemy; and YES when you get it open, DO install an extra cable.

Last edited by crg53; 01-17-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
Hi Bearclaw, you may be referring to the LINK in post #4; I did eventually get mine open, but it was a lot of swearing and frustrations; do not wish this on my worse enemy; and YES when you get it open, DO install an extra cable.

That's the one. Now fate will surely get me if I fail to do this real soon.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:11 PM
Makmov
Drifting

FWIW, I have an early 91 which does have the second release under the liner near the AC condenser.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:00 AM
RW964
Racer

Default HELP Cannot open Trunk Part 2

Good news and some not I have gotten the trunk open thanks to a fast response from Jetta Thanks once more I did not have time to do a search just getting home from the rode. Turns out the pop I heard was the plastic handle breaking and letting the metal cable housing slide forward towards the handle makeing slack in the cable. I took the handle off and pulled it tight and open it was. After taking off the left front cover showing the cond. fan etc. I found no emerg. cable but a plastic sleeve where one should be. One new cable before the trunk gets closed. Good points from fellow forum post. This forum has been a great source of info and reading as well. Good to have wealth of know how and stories to read.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:21 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Good news ^^^^^
Turns out I might be making a closer look at this also.

The plastic handle for the interior trunk release seems to be failing...the trunk and latch are fully closed, but the interior release handle is sitting up a little (as if I'm already pulling on the lever by an inch). Everything still works fine, but based on RW's comments above, my handle may break soon...
Old 01-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RW964
Gotta get the cell charger out and tooth brush and orange joice before it spoils.
Thanks Randy
Originally Posted by RW964
Good news and some not I have gotten the trunk open

Most importantly, did you get the OJ out in time before it spoiled.... LOL

Quick Reply: HELP Cannot open Trunk