Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little Cost Effective mods to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

WHAOOOOOOO, we have got a long way OFF the OP.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:58 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Easy safety mod (and useful for the track as well): Wide angle rearview mirrors. About 120$ for the pair, and no more blind angle.

Cosmetic protection mod: Mudflaps from the 3.6 Turbo. Keeps TONS of crud off the doors/sills/rear fenders.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:02 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the dyno maps.
They differ slightly from my original figures as the 210kw was achieved with a cup pipe, 100 cell CAT plus air intake installed. I apolgise, but I can't locate that particular dyno run. HOWEVER I do have a dyno run when chip was first installed and my car was otherwise COMPLETELY stock. This was also prior to an engine rebuild so the engine wasn't even fresh.

So totally stock engine provided 198kw with chip and absolutely no other mods.
Name:  Dyno 2.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  49.2 KB
The 187kw dyno is with the stock chip, DC21 cams installed and exhaust mods.
Name:  dyno nochip.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  44.5 KB
What it DOES show is that doing anything without remapping is a complete waste of time as with all these mods plus a recently installed MAF kit BUT with the standard chip the car only turned out 3kw more than stock!!

This dyno run was done standard to provide a map to Steve Wong to provide a custom chip to suit my cams. I am awaiting the chip and can't wait to dyno.

We are talking cost effective mods and my car with a $50 KN filter, $200 cup bypass and a $80 accellracing chip off eBay provided a 10% genuine power increase. This cost a grand total of $330. If you want to go over 300HP, then you need to spend BIG money and to do that you will need cams, valves, head work and a computer to dial it all in.... If you DO want more than 300hp head to someone reputable and detail your EXACT expected outcome and then tailor a plan to achieve that through tried and tested methods such as the ninemeister guys have posted elsewhere. They have done many of these and you will get the result you want. If you are however after 'bang for your buck' and want to keep the spend minimal, roughly $300 will give you a very noticeable improvement as my results have shown.

For those commenting on Melbourne at this time of the year. It is a lovely place to be and for those who have visited Australia, you will know we are all totally genuine, welcoming people who love sport, a good joke and we are not prone to bull****.....

It is a bit off topic but in response to the GT3 comments, I suggest looking up the GT3/964 thread as several others who have driven both cars are in agreeance with my comments. Furthermore, I commented on the track instead of road as this is the best place to truly compare two different cars. I will openly admit that without spending a substantial time each year on the track with various other Porsches, i would not have believed that a well sorted 964 could be so quick, so I do understand the skepticism. However, time and time again, against very handy drivers, my car has been glued to the bumper of GT3's and their drivers have often commented at the speed of my 964 , both in straight line speed and in overall lap time. Interestingly, out of a field of 100 cars at our local Porsche Club events, many times there are several mildly modified 964's and 964 RS's in the top ten times for the day. There is a very big spread of cars ranging from 997 GT3 Cup cars through track prepared GT3's, stock GT3's, 996,997's with various mods, early RSR's, gutted 3.2 Carreras and everyhting else in between.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:02 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimjacqmx5
I don't wish to be the devils advocate but how can you say a chip is not an improvement???
As I said I measured it and posted the data.

It's not a performance improvement, but I guess if you need to remedy LW flywheel stalling issues then it could be an improvement. But that's not what I think the OP is asking.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Jimjacqmx5 it's hard to follow your timeline of mods. Can you post a dyno chart of a non-modified motor then a subsequent run with just a different chip so we can see a proper comparison?

It's well documented here the improvement from exhaust mods. Lots of head to head data. Search for Tom Webers post from 2003 or so.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

I think my post very clearly states when the dynos were done.
The first dyno graph pictured (198kw) one was done on 1st March 2010. At this stage I had a totally stock car and my first mod was to install the chip. This is the resultant power output.
I do not have a pre- power for this but seeming as the car was pre rebuild and totally stock we can assume somewhere between 180-185kw if we were lucky.

A second dyno was later done which read 211.5kw. This was after fitment of a cup muffler bypass, 100 cell CAT and EVOMS pod intake were fitted. As explained, I can't locate this chart currently.

The second dyno graph pictured above was obtained as I have now installed some camshafts and a dyno run was required to provide Steve Wong with data to make up a new chip. This was done with the original OEM chip reinstalled and reads 187.5kw with all other mods in situ. ie cup muffler, intake, 100 Cell CAT and was performed on 7th December this year. Yes, I am aware it is 9 months apart but the Porsche motorsport dyno is used to dyno all official cup cars etc in Australia and is regularly calibrated so I am happy with the comparison.

I think that on the contrary, it shows that installing other mods without tuning is a waste of time as the better breathing isn't taken advantage of. The reason i say this is those mods, with a chip raised power from 198-211kw or another 13kw gain, however, when using the stock chip and those mods were still installed, the car only put out 187kw and factory power is 184kw. So it is entirely plausable that give or take, only 3kw gain was obtained from all the other mods WITHOUT ecu chipping or tuning.

Lastly, if chips (which are a less accurate form of ecu tuning than a programmable ecu but still use the sae theory) are useless, then how is it that places like ninemeister are getting up to 300hp with an ecu tune alone?

At the end of the day, I know what has worked on my car and I have driven to a dyno with a chip and driven home without it and the loss in power was very noticeable. I am offering one mans experience no matter how much data evidence to support claims is made and there will always be doubters. I'm happy with my car, happy with the result and happy with my bulging trophy cabinet.

At the end of the day, for the cost of a decent single rear tyre, I'm showing a cost effective power upgrade with data to back it up. What have you got to loose?
Old 01-21-2011, 03:28 AM
Moffman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeorgeK
Easy safety mod (and useful for the track as well): Wide angle rearview mirrors. About 120$ for the pair, and no more blind angle.

Cosmetic protection mod: Mudflaps from the 3.6 Turbo. Keeps TONS of crud off the doors/sills/rear fenders.
Speaking of rearview mirrors I hate how the oem has a little black square at the top of it, I cant see the top of cars behind me to tell whether there is a cop is behind me
Old 01-21-2011, 03:44 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Moffman
Speaking of rearview mirrors I hate how the oem has a little black square at the top of it, I cant see the top of cars behind me to tell whether there is a cop is behind me
Mine don't. Where is the black square on it? Flags or aero mirrors?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:16 AM
Moffman
Racer

Mine don't. Where is the black square on it? Flags or aero mirrors?
Rear view mirrors man not side view mirrors

Actually I thought that black square was from the factory now that I look on pelican parts it appears its not.
I can't imagine what the hell it is, ill find out tomorrow haha
Old 01-21-2011, 05:10 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Rear view mirrors man not side view mirrors

Actually I thought that black square was from the factory now that I look on pelican parts it appears its not.
I can't imagine what the hell it is, ill find out tomorrow haha
Ah, OK.
Is yours an auto dimming? that black square could be the light sensor.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:41 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ah, OK.
Is yours an auto dimming? that black square could be the light sensor.
The black square in question is in the rear window where the third brake light is located; it is a pain in the butt for most of us, directly in the line of view.

Last edited by crg53; 01-21-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Moffman
Racer

I am an idiot sorry for some reason I thought the black square was actually attached to the rear view mirror it is actually on the back windshield
Old 01-21-2011, 09:35 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

I am an idiot sorry for some reason I thought the black square was actually attached to the rear view mirror it is actually on the back windshield
Made me smile
Old 01-21-2011, 10:01 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

"I am an idiot sorry for some reason I thought the black square was actually attached to the rear view mirror it is actually on the back windshield " If you're refering to the brake light I too found it a bit annoying at first as it interfers with ones rear view to the point I was thinking about removing it but safety is more important and I now use it to my advantage at night positioning myself so the majority of the glare from headlights is blocked by it.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:41 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

I had planned to get rid of it in my car, had a 993 rear glass, late 993 high mount 3rd brake light, and the rest of the kit to swap it all in, but sold the car before I got a chance. There is a tsb from porsche on it. Afaik you can't just remove the 3rd brake light and scrape the black stuff off. One of the worst designs that I have ever seen.

Quick Reply: Little Cost Effective mods to do?