Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annual Porsche RS day + extra day

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:19 PM
jamest
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really impressive laps from the 964rs driver - very quick but gave plenty of space when approaching and passing other cars. Was the guy in the green GT3rs drunk or was his rear view mirror steamed up from all the effort of trying to show everyone else on track how fast his car his £100k is? I hope somebody had a few words with him in the pitlane afterwards to educate him on track day etiquette and racing lines. I love these guys who think that, despite you being on their tail at the entry and exit of every corner, they are quicker than you because they have more straight lane speed. I had a Lotus and then a Caterham before the 964 and frequently had to drive a couple of slow laps at track days simply to generate a bit of space from the guy in front when they refused to pull over.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:35 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamest
Really impressive laps from the 964rs driver - very quick but gave plenty of space when approaching and passing other cars. Was the guy in the green GT3rs drunk or was his rear view mirror steamed up from all the effort of trying to show everyone else on track how fast his car his £100k is? I hope somebody had a few words with him in the pitlane afterwards to educate him on track day etiquette and racing lines. .
The green GT3RS is the same car the onboard is from in the 1st vid, and is driven by a current Porsche Carrera cup driver
Old 03-06-2011, 12:48 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The annual RS day is not a trackday to go on for the less experienced track driver because there are a lot of very fast cars/drivers on it. Including a number of racing drivers. Although the first video might look a bit brutal, he's a very experienced racer as Freedman has pointed out. In many ways it's better to mix it with the likes of him rather than a novice in a big HP car. I would trust the racing driver over the latter to get past you safely.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:49 PM
jamest
Instructor

Originally Posted by freedman
The green GT3RS is the same car the onboard is from in the 1st vid, and is driven by a current Porsche Carrera cup driver
In which case, he should know better! Assuming he is as quick as you would expect him to be, then I can only surmise (from his pace and lines) that he was on a cool down lap when he should be monitoring his mirrors throughout the lap.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Unkle
Pro

I thought the green driver was being a bit of an **** too for not letting the 964 past when he was caught at 1:52, seemed strange thet he didn't just indicate and let the 964 past even if it was only for another lap till he was up to speed. But it takes all sorts i guess and not everyone is equally considerate...
Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 PM
oldtimer
Racer

That Julian Perry is good ! Makes a 2 minute lap in a 964RS look easy....standard car ??
Old 03-06-2011, 01:18 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boxsey911
The annual RS day is not a trackday to go on for the less experienced track driver because there are a lot of very fast cars/drivers on it. Including a number of racing drivers. Although the first video might look a bit brutal, he's a very experienced racer as Freedman has pointed out. In many ways it's better to mix it with the likes of him rather than a novice in a big HP car. I would trust the racing driver over the latter to get past you safely.
If you watch the 1st vid without the knowledge of who is driving (both cars) then I wouldnt want to run anything like that close to anyone on a trackday, far too much opportunity for it to end in tears

Once you know they know each other and were both comfortable with it (and are both experienced Porsche racers), makes it easier viewing

Have to say watching the 2nd clip again of the 964, he is deceptively quick, makes it look very easy
Old 03-06-2011, 02:30 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Here are some more vids. This time from a Cayman S:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeD9fYCGimA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5UizY-bnaw
Old 03-07-2011, 05:39 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

A selection of pics of the lovely cars there (taken by Ian Highfield) here:

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p...cpZZ1QQtppZZ24
Old 03-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Originally Posted by freedman
Watch again ........ car in the first clip overtakes the car in the second clip. One a very good ex-Carrera Cup driver (one of the quickest drivers you will come across on a UK track day). The other isn't ................

Quick Reply: Annual Porsche RS day + extra day