Sponsored by:

Shock absorber bump stops

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shock absorber bump stops

I'm installing Bilstein HDs with H&R Green springs. H&R's directions with the springs say that 3/4" must be trimmed from the rubber bump stops. They do not say whether to trim from the top or the bottom of the bump stop. Anyone know?

Cautionary note: if you're doing this same upgrade anytime soon, I strongly suggest you buy new bump stops in advance ($15-$20 each); my local Porsche dealer does not keep them in stock. Luckily, an online supplier had them and is FedExing them overnight. My bump stops were original judging from them having virtually turned to orange dust when removed, so trimming them was moot.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:08 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Before you order and install - Please search on this forum about the need for bump stops with the Bilsteins. At the moment I do not recall which - but I believe that the Fronts have an internal bump stop and the external oem bump stop is not required (nor desireable).
Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, DWS964. I just called Bilstein and talked to one of their technicians. He confirms that Bilstein HDs have an internal bump stop and don't then need the rubber bump stops.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You need bump stops for the rears. The Fronts with the dust boot have the internal stops. I did not trim the stops and they were fine.

Quick Reply: Shock absorber bump stops