Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should a 964 Paint job cost with decent paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 03:11 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 80 Posts

Sorry to hear this, the AP cars look so cool in the photos.
My car looks great too :-) . The minor details are anoying...
Old 01-16-2011, 10:02 PM
robingb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint shop in socal

california porsche restoration in fallbrook does outstanding work. they are, however, more expensive than what has been stated in this thread. see their website to get an appreciation of their work.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:14 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Any ideas on today’s cost for a glass out repaint to existing color?
Old 11-13-2019, 04:57 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Personally, going through it as we speak, try to stick with paint correction if you can. It's more often than not a substandard job. And my standard is Porsche factory paint.

So expensive, risk for other things to go wrong and you end up with a so-so result. I would've been able to live with it as it was in hind sight. The whole thing has just been such a painful process.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:52 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

In so cal John Esposito is the go to guy with the resulting wait and high prices. If no rust (around the cowl) and no body work you are looking at $12k at any of the top places, up to $15k once you start replacing the rubber around the glass, anodizing the trim and rubber around bumpers and shark fin. It will take 4 months so start now to be ready for spring/summer fun.

Honestly, some second tier shops do a really good job and for less, you can actually drive the finished product without having a heart attack every time you park or hear someone lock up their brakes. One (inevitable) rock chip will result in weeks of depression and will be the only thing you see when you wash the car. But hey, for half the money the other guy spent and it isn't the end of the world, paint the hood again. And again. Who cares?

If you want a show car in CA that is one thing but if you want to drive it-and enjoy it- go with a lesser shop, stick with Glasurit, if done right, only a real close look will tell the difference.
The following 2 users liked this post by misterbeverlyhills:
dukmon (11-14-2019), Gmanscott (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 11:09 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 276 Posts

For many of the reasons listed here, I am doing a color change to Miami Blue using Autoflex Express. Peel it off and change the color every few years if you get bored. Plus you get to keep your factory paint below. This stuff started getting really good at the beginning of the year with this new stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?client...4dUDCAY&uact=5

Mr. Wolfe
Old 11-14-2019, 01:02 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,229 Posts

There is no correct answer to this. I can give pricing with reasons for anywhere from $6k to $40k. Although $40k is the extreme outside. Windows out complete disassemble down to bare metal assuming no hidden issues and no new seals or hardware figure a minimum of $25k with a quality paint like Galsurit or Sikkens. They both offer many levels of paint and finishes so this can get expensive as well as you go up in quality. There are so many factors that come into play however vet the shop you plan to use and educate yourself as much as possible about paint work and you will quickly find out that pricing can escalate quickly. Also if it is a solid color it is very hard to find a shop that does single stage anymore so this is another consideration. Then there is surface only, door jams and or full tub paint including underside it can add up and up.

I have a friend who does exceptional work but he is on the east coast and isn't taking on any large jobs right now. He can be slow when it comes to these types of projects because he is picker then most customers and stands behind his work. They usually take a minimum of 8 months and I have seen them go as long as 4 years. But the end result is worth the wait right down to original orange peel. There are always nit picky little things needing to be addressed and the work involved can be extensive.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:20 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

I am currently in the process of complete repaint of the exterior, though not down to complete disassembly as the engine and frunk interior surfaces will say covered with trim. Door jams will be repainted. Custom color. Complete new rubber and seals, and all the glass is out. Being done in Canada though. Price will be about 15K-17K. Using a excellent quality paint.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:44 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Cobalt numbers are spot on. The cost that really add up is disassembly (80 Hours) and re-assembly (200 Hours)..... and this doesn't include the cost of new rubber and any other misc. new parts you want to replace during re-assembly. This would be for a full color change.

Glass out in So. Cal. $10k to $30k.... if paint shop is removing glass, bumpers, lights, etc and re-installing.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:50 PM
phil_m
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Agree with the above. It varies tremendously based on the current condition of the car, how perfect you want your car to be, and any potential mods. I’m going through a repaint now and spent around $10k for parts alone and still have a few last second parts to gather (not including the required new wheels and tires to match). It didn’t feel right putting rusty bolts back on the car, even if they’re not seen, so that can add up quickly. You also have to look at condition of things like door handles and lights; who wants ratty old door handles or lights on a new paint job? How’s your glass? If it’s chipped or you’re doing a rear wiper delete that’s more money. What quality paint job do you like, factory quality or “better”? Want a ductail and/or 3.8rs wing for options? Might as well get them now

Im doing the disassembly/assembly myself and expect to be in the $25k range when done (without doing the engine bay). I’ve painted multiple Audis in the past and this was about three times the price....and those were full color changes vs my current paint job which will be the same.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:16 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 221 Posts

Before repairs and paint. Zoom on rear fenders.

Before repairs and paint, zoom on bumper, rear fender, and hood.

After repairs and paint

After repairs and paint

Quick Reply: What should a 964 Paint job cost with decent paint