Sponsored by:

What should a 964 Paint job cost with decent paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:27 AM
porscheforfun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should a 964 Paint job cost with decent paint

just curious what a new paint job would cost , considering doing this but dont trust anyone looking for any recommendations . What type of paint , where to go , how much I should spend Im in So. Cal.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:08 AM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Every body shop I've had to deal with in the past 8 years in So Cal has been a crook and/or a thief. One of them has the 993 mirrors and front lip for my 964 since 2 years now. There are only 2 body shops so far that I trust 100% and come highly recommended:

http://www.autoinno.com (ask for Kevin I went and met with him on Saturday and he's awesome and does lots of Porsches)

Kundensport in Camarillo, 805 732 4226 ask for Ed (These guys are top notch and restore historic 962's and such) I know them pretty well they're 5min from my shop.

Those are the 2 I can recommend, although a little far from you.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Willie P
Instructor

never painted a 964, but have had professional paint jobs done to some British roadsters with about the same surface area and number of panels to remove.

My guesstimates below are for a better-than-daily-driver paint job. Something you could go to a car show and not be embarrassed of, but also far short of "concours" quality.

If keeping same color and "feathering in" the inner door edges, sills, under the hood (front and rear) - probably in the $3,000 to $4,000 range, maybe $5,000.

If you are changing the color of the car - that is a huge dissasembly process and you could be anywhere from $10,000 - $15,000.

Also, I see that you are in CA - might have to up the prices from my guesses just for the Left Coast factor.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

My OPINION is that environmental controls on paint processes have made it difficult/impossible to get a paint for an overspray that will hold up as well as the old original Glasurit systems. I'm continuing to research that now for my "free" paint job. My body shop owner neighbor said Glasurit and Sikkens systems are pretty comparable.

I've been trying to determine the original systems pla ed on our cars and it appears that Porsche went to the base coat/clear coat system sometime during the 964 series.

What I do know is that my 75 911s and 89C4 (both G P White) had/have paint that still shines like new.

Re: cost, I somewhat arbitrarily put an educated guess of $7k value on my "free" job which will include excellent 'edges' (parts, wings and bumpers off, windows out), better than original quality paint, fixing some wrinkles and dings, and the rust at the corners of the windshield, etc.

Does motvinclude all new seals, which appear to run as much as $1k.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:48 AM
porscheforfun
Instructor

Thanks for the input guys Im going start looking around a little . Im with you guys I dont trust anybody either and when it comes to my porsche Im pretty much a ***** and picky.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I would guess you're looking at $6-7k for a nice job. You might want to check out these guys also, they seem to have a pretty good reputation:

http://www.caporsche.net/carsinprogress.html

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:05 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 80 Posts

i had a paintjob two years ago in germany. The executing company was ap-car-design. I paid round about 4,5k€ (~7k$) for repainting in the same color.

I wouldn´t do this a second time.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No affiliation but Euromasters in Fountain valley, Ca. do good work and are known for complete restorations. Their show room is always open to the public and their work is on display. I would get an estimate from them.

http://www.euromastersclassiccars.com/
Old 01-12-2011, 05:36 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by koenig_roland
i had a paintjob two years ago in germany. The executing company was ap-car-design. I paid round about 4,5k€ (~7k$) for repainting in the same color.

I wouldn´t do this a second time.

Hi Roland,

Were you not happy with the quality?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:26 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Hi Roland,

Were you not happy with the quality?
no, not really.
you pay a lot of money and the qualtity isn´t comparable with OEM standart...
The result is ok, but not more...
Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Mc.Queen 964
Racer

I changed the colour of mine and repared the rust in the front glass, it cost me 3000$ and 2 months of work.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:05 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no, not really.
Thanks for your feedback Roland. A few years back I went to Cologne/Koeln to have a look at a recently painted black 964 with orange wheels and carrera striping done by AP. What immediately struck me that the coat of paint looked nice and rich but that paint preparation underneath was awful!

Every single panel, and I do mean every single panel, had more waves going than a badly restored Lada There was not a single straight reflection of light to be found on the whole car. Looking at AP's current website it seemed the quality of their paint department has gone up since then, your experience shows again unfortunately that true quality can not be judged from a picture....

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:28 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Quote:
no, not really.
Thanks for your feedback Roland. A few years back I went to Cologne/Koeln to have a look at a recently painted black 964 with orange wheels and carrera striping done by AP. What immediately struck me that the coat of paint looked nice and rich but that paint preparation underneath was awful!

Every single panel, and I do mean every single panel, had more waves going than a badly restored Lada There was not a single straight reflection of light to be found on the whole car. Looking at AP's current website it seemed the quality of their paint department has gone up since then, your experience shows again unfortunately that true quality can not be judged from a picture....

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Yes.
On my car too. I had some bulps after the first paint-job.
Then, then whole coat isnt´ real plane. In germany, we call this Orangenhaut.
There are a few more details in the corners and some hidden areas.
The reassembling wasn´t perfect too.

I had a hillclimb-car (street-legal vw polo with heigo-rollcage, sparcos, webers, sorg-engine and some other stuff) more than ten years ago. This car was refurbished from the shell by myself. The car looked some years after the job and thousand of kilometers with different engines better than my porsche one week after the paint-job...
Old 01-12-2011, 12:44 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Yes.
On my car too. I had some bulps after the first paint-job.
Then, then whole coat isnt´ real plane. In germany, we call this Orangenhaut.
There are a few more details in the corners and some hidden areas.
The reassembling wasn´t perfect too.

I had a hillclimb-car (street-legal vw polo with heigo-rollcage, sparcos, webers, sorg-engine and some other stuff) more than ten years ago. This car was refurbished from the shell by myself. The car looked some years after the job and thousand of kilometers with different engines better than my porsche one week after the paint-job...
Sorry to hear this, the AP cars look so cool in the photos.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheforfun
just curious what a new paint job would cost , considering doing this but dont trust anyone looking for any recommendations . What type of paint , where to go , how much I should spend Im in So. Cal.
Glasurit is the paint. Make sure is is someone with Porsche Experience especailly if it is single stage.

6-7K for an average body shop. + what ever is damaged taking it apart or any dent or ding repairs.

More if you want it perfect. 10K +

No idea where to go in So Cal.

Quick Reply: What should a 964 Paint job cost with decent paint