Demister fan

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:59 PM
unclefish
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Demister fan

Hi there,

I have a 1990 C2 , today when i turned the demister on the fan wasn't working, it wasn't working on the heater either, i checked the fuses (number 2 and 17) they were fine, if i turn the engine off and restart the fan kicks in for about 3 seconds, anyone have a idea what i should look for next
Old 12-30-2010, 02:13 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear blower might be shot. If you have the CCU set to any heat settings and the rear blower is "absent" either through an improper delete mod or it not working the front blowers won't work.
The 3 seconds it does work is the CCU rebooting essentially.
A quick test is to move the temp control all the way to the blue dot and you should have all fan speeds. As soon as you move it up to where the CCU calls for heat the fans will stop.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:15 PM
frankvan
Pro

I should add, it could be the rear blower relay as well. My previous C4 had a bad relay. Its found in the electrical compartment inside the left rear quarter (triangular box next to the coils).

BTW, I see "one" post in your avatar - welcome to the list!
Old 12-30-2010, 02:33 PM
unclefish
Track Day

Smile

thanks for the welcome and the advice, hopefully it's the relay, its sounds a lot cheaper
Old 12-30-2010, 04:46 PM
unclefish
Track Day

So had a look and you are spot on , blower works when the dial is set to cold, wonder how much this is going to cost

I only sorted out the rear window demister last week (but saying that it was cheap as i bought the part on ebay)
Old 12-30-2010, 07:23 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Don't get too worried just yet. It's probably just the fuse in the box inside the engine compartment (left side). It's a 30 amp fuse (the only one in there). They were originally fitted with a 25 amp fuse but Porsche upgraded it to 30 amp later on (25 amp fuses blew too much).
Old 12-31-2010, 08:01 AM
unclefish
Track Day

Hurray i am so fecking happy, it was the fuse, total cost of repair only 41 pence, there are 2 fuses there, i pulled the first one out and it tested fine, so i thought here we go ... then i noticed the other fuse and yes it was blown, and it was a 25 amp, couldn't get a 30 amp ,so put another 25 amp in until it blows again, but all working atm. thanks for all you help guys, happy motoring

Quick Reply: Demister fan