Sponsored by:

Rear Blower Fan

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:54 PM
alanp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Blower Fan

Hi All, I've noticed my rear blower fan starts running when I turn the key before starting and will do so in hot or cold weather....normal? Also read that the blower fan resistor should be replaced with a newer resistor to avoid overheating the fan & possible engine fire.

Thanks

1990 C2
Old 12-28-2010, 06:17 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear blower operation depends on many factors including the settings on the Climate Control Unit in the dash. If the heat setting is on anything but the cold (blue dot) setting, the rear blower WILL start up automatically to provided the forced air through the heat exchangers to the air distribution box behind the dash. Only when set to the blue dot will the rear blower NOT startup as soon as the ignition is switched on.

The ballast resistor was changed to a later type which incorporated a bi-metal cut-off switch to ensure that current is cut off if the resistor overheated. There were, I believe, some instances of engine compartment fires being caused by overheated ballast resistors and you should make sure yours is of the later type - just in case!!

Regards

Dave
Old 12-28-2010, 09:16 AM
alanp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Computamedic
The rear blower operation depends on many factors including the settings on the Climate Control Unit in the dash. If the heat setting is on anything but the cold (blue dot) setting, the rear blower WILL start up automatically to provided the forced air through the heat exchangers to the air distribution box behind the dash. Only when set to the blue dot will the rear blower NOT startup as soon as the ignition is switched on.

The ballast resistor was changed to a later type which incorporated a bi-metal cut-off switch to ensure that current is cut off if the resistor overheated. There were, I believe, some instances of engine compartment fires being caused by overheated ballast resistors and you should make sure yours is of the later type - just in case!!

Regards

Dave
Thanks a million Dave ...have a great New Year!

alan

Quick Reply: Rear Blower Fan