Sponsored by:

First time engine drop?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:47 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk911
yeah.. it was on my list for this winter, but then it makes shooting models and other things quite impossible to do in my garage if the car wont move.
Put the models to work cleaning engine parts, that should make for some interesting shots.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a bad idea... bikini parts wash!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Blok
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

Last weekend I did drop the engine.

Indeed not that hard at all.
I used mostly Adrian Streather, however I had it translated in Dutch, so actually I knew it by head.

Most tricky part of the operation is getting the car high enough.

It took me about 10 hours, but my brother helped me all the time, so maybe you can say it took me 20 hours.
It supprised me how easy everything was going. Not a single bolt broke or couldn't get loose.

After all a happy 964 diy-er.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Congrats!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:45 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Must be something in the air...........I'm in the initial stage of dropping my engine

Most of the bottom work is finished, but (after reading everything in RL and Adrian's book) I don't fully understand what has to be done with the throttle cable. Do I remove the cable completely from the accelerator cable, and pull it out all the way to the engine?

Any clarification is appreciated!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:09 AM
stinkydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LouZ
Must be something in the air
Sorry I can't comment on the actual engine dropping, but there is definitely something in the air, and I think it's the weather.... the last couple years, I was able to drive my car at least a few times every week during the winter - without touching salty/wet/slushy/icy/snowy roads.

This winter? I've had to lower my "road condition" standards a bit just so I can blow the moisture out of the exhaust every couple weeks. The main arterials and highways haven't been terrible, but forget driving the kid to school, etc.

Anyways to the point - I think this is just a good winter to take the wheels off the car and get a few projects done.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:41 AM
Blok
Intermediate

I know exactly what you mean with this throttlecable. I didn't understand it either.
When you follow the exact instructions it will become clear to you.

The inner throttlecable is inside blue one. This as a whole is going through a tube or something like that.
One of the last steps is pulling this one out of the tube.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:52 AM
scped
Instructor

I dropped the engine the first month I owned my 964 (purchased about a year ago). When I did the drop, I disconnected the throttle cable at the gas pedal, separated the coupling under the car, and pulled the cable through.

Prior to separating the coupling (I know - too late now) please note the number of threads and slack on the cable. When I reassembled everything, the car ran great until the winter when I developed a rough idle/stalling issue. It turned out to be the "shrinkage" of the throttle cable causing the microswitch to no longer close at idle. Adjustment of the throttle coupling fixed all.

Quick Reply: First time engine drop?