Sponsored by:

Project: C4 cab to supercharged C2 6-speed Cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:31 PM
BobH20man
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Project: C4 cab to supercharged C2 6-speed Cab

Attached are (one before and two after) photos of my 1991 C2 with steel SC rear flares and Ruf-style rear bumper and mirrors that began life as a narrow body C4 cab. (I have many more photos but having trouble uploading them)

I bought it from a dealer in Sussex, WI., in January 2005 with 46,000 miles, and drove it home to Iowa in a snow storm. Over the last 5 years, I have made a number of changes and modifications. These include taking it from Iowa to TPC Racing in Maryland twice. The first time in 2006 for a supercharger and intercooler, light weight 3.8 RS flywheel and turbo S clutch, front and rear RS stabilizer bars, and carbon fiber turbo wing. On my second trip in 2008, TPC upgraded the computer (with the Uni-Q), converted the C4 to a C2, added a 993 6-speed gearbox (rebuilt by Brian Copans at BMC&G), 993 rear axle upgrade #8 and 993 cross member, 993 Big Red turbo brakes, GT2 front spindles, large wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joints, a short shift kit and installed an Autopower roll bar.

Also installed are JIC Cross competition suspension coilovers (model 965 turbo--9kg/11kg), Elephant Racing bushings, a strut brace, B&B headers and exhaust (Maxflo muffler later substituted for the stainless steel B&B to save weight) with tips angled out, removed all sound insulation, original carpet and rear seats/belts. I also added light weight RS carpet, RS door panels, Rennline floor race plates, lower dash and pedals, GT3 seats, and 6-point harnesses. I had the Autopower roll bar customized to add larger foot plates and additional cross bars to B pillars, rear seat belt points and two lower bars to the front per side and under the dash for a three-quarter cage. I also deleted the radio, speakers, climate control unit, lower dash, AC pump and parts, rear blower, spare tire/tools, rear bumper and OEM front bumper guards to reduce more weight. I had it lowered to RS height, aligned and corner balanced at VFC Engineering (Chicago).

Most recently, I obtained from Restoration Design a set of steel SC/Carrera rear fender flares and lower fender panels (made by Dansk for Porsche), and from Getty Design a fiberglass front splitter and air ducts, Yellow Bird rear turbo bumper cover (and license plate lights) and 930 “Ruf” mirrors. I had a local shop, Jaguar Alley, Davenport, IA., install the body parts and do a full re-spray (See attached during and after photos--Craig at Jaguar Alley took step-by-step photos I am sure he would share.) The fender flares increased the rear fender wells about two inches to fit my 295x30x18 Michelin Sport Cups. I have a set of 8” and 10” x 17” Ruf Speedline wheels with Michelin PS2s that will go on next for my daily drives in nice weather. My odometer just turned 69,000 miles, and during the last few years I have driven it to 10 track days at local Midwest courses Road America (WI), Autobahn (IL), Blackhawk Farms (IL), and Putnam Park (IN).

Thanks for the great ideas and discussion on all things Porsche! I will try and upload more photos. I welcome your comments and hope to see you at the track. Bob
Attached Images    
Old 12-12-2010, 07:31 PM
NCSUtrey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love that 2nd picture! Why a cab?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:39 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NCSUtrey
..... Why a cab?
Hey now.... top down, scenic twisty roads... can't be beat.

Bob, please.... continue...
Old 12-14-2010, 02:07 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

If you are gonna spout about all that you have done to that car you best be putting up some pics and I mean a lot of pics.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:41 PM
BobH20man
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Project: C4 cab to supercharged C2 6-speed Cab

I finally figured out how to compress my pics so they would upload. Thanks for the comments. In response to the Q "why a cab?"--because that's where I began before heading down the slippery slope. Next on my list is a Rothsport Billet short shifter. Do any of you have experience with that? As soon as I put on the Ruf 17" wheels I'll post some more.
Attached Images        
Old 08-14-2013, 04:31 PM
NJ964
Intermediate

Reviving an old thread here. BobH20man where did you get that roll bar? I have been searching around and that is exactly what I'm looking for to go in my C4.

Quick Reply: Project: C4 cab to supercharged C2 6-speed Cab