Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would be a fair price to offer for a 90 C4 w/salvage title?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be a fair price to offer for a 90 C4 w/salvage title?

While perusing craigslist I happened upon a 1991 911 C4 Cab(5 speed) with 92,000 miles for an asking price of $12,500.. Called the seller and he admitted it had a prior salvage title for an accident involving the LF. Says repairs were professionally done and has the receipts and the car is very nice otherwise. Has the usual small puff of smoke upon startup but otherwise runs strong and shifts smooth.

My question is, what would be a fair offer for a car like this? If I bought it, it would really just be a fun weekend toy and i can turn my current 964 into a track car. Any help would be appreciated!

Rob
Old 11-29-2010, 09:06 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

make the salvage car the track toy
Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
make the salvage car the track toy
But the salvage car is a cab...

Id say if its in good shape and you can get in for under $10k out the door you'd be in good shape.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just want something to run into the ground, maybe...
but I wouldn't buy it for more than "the sum of the parts", meaning maybe half of what he's asking.
That salvage title makes it a boat anchor basically.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:52 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
If you just want something to run into the ground, maybe...
but I wouldn't buy it for more than "the sum of the parts", meaning maybe half of what he's asking.
That salvage title makes it a boat anchor basically.
Thats kind-of what I was thinking also... I know resale will be next to nothing so I'd want to get it for as cheaply as possible. I'm guessing that being such a specialty car that it having a salvage title makes it worthless compared to more commonly produced salvaged titled cars?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 PM
campoj2
Racer

There's money is used parts - if you're into that...Buy for $10K and part out on down the road for $8K or sell it for $8K, you won't lose your shirt unless you have to money into it. What condition is the top in and does it work? Leaks?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 PM
kboustani
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

i would ask if he has pictures before he fixed it.t had to be extensive damage to get totaled,that should give a good idea about the repairs.check and make sure the air gags are installed back.some rebuilder go cheap and do not reinstall.i would rather spend 5k more and get a nice car.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Lil bastard
User

If the car is sound and you're using it for a track toy (not possible with a Cab) or planning on a longterm ownership, it may not be too bad a deal.

With 964 prices (maybe) starting to creep up, even a salvage title car will move up too.

Say you buy it, keep and use for 5 yrs., then sell for $8k, that's not too unreasonable for 5 yrs. of fun.

Conversely, if prices fall, and you sell it in 5 yrs., you won't lose as much either, than if you had bought it at market price.

Even a floors-replaced, Salvaged or even total rebuild 356 today is going for near stratospheric prices.

If it looks good, get a PPI and then decide. As long as it's straight, a busted fender isn't likely to have serious performance implications. Obviously, negotiate heavily to get the seller to Rock Bottom.

Cheers!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 11-30-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:13 AM
74carreraturbo
Racer

thanks for the advice guys! I will see what the seller will take but as of now i've only got him down to 11K. I think i can do better.

On a side note, can you guys pick this car apart for me? I do like it and like the price but something doesnt seem right???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARD-...item2a0c2684d0
Old 12-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Group911@aol.com
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any pics of the car? I used to have a black one that was a salvage car.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:11 PM
ian89C4
Pro

Don't know a whole lot about 911's other than the 964 but here are my impressions:

Front bumper looking a little rough - bracket holes, front black strip is droopy, paint is a little duller than the body

Engine - need a shot of it running (just in my opinion), showing its age - engine lid mounted oil cooler looks dented

Interior - cigarette lighter looks pushed into the dash, that is no big deal, but it could mean there are issues behind the dash, overall showing its age as well, door catches were not removed during a respray (I am pretty sure they are supposed to be a goldish color)

Front trunk - what is with the horns and loud speaker???????? could spell wiring issues under the carpet - why don't they have a picture with no carpet in???? Rust?????

Other possible issues - transmission - no mention of that, oil leaks, wheel bearings, brakes, all the usual issues.

Looks like a nice car for the price though, and I am sure that you are much more seasoned at buying these cars than I am, just my 2 cents.

Good luck

Old 12-02-2010, 12:45 PM
cobias1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I like the hardtops better and would also like to recommend the PPI on anything your planning on buying. Hard lesson for myself not doing so as I am in the process of repairing seven broken headstuds on a 91 cab. The car ran good with what seemed like a good amount of power and acceleration. Only prob was after I got it home and started to change the plugs I also started finding broken headstuds. So far I am up to 1 stud per cylinder minimum..2 on one cylinder from a find yesterday. Im 10k into the car and luckily have a primary vehicle. So when these guys say PPI...thats what I would have done if I had known.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:47 PM
cobias1
Racer

by the way...ive driven this vehicle a total of 5 times including 2 test drives, 1 drive home, 1 trip into town, and the finale was giving the gal pal 1 ride. so PPI it...even if its a puch moped
Old 12-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Greg964
Pro

Amen, offer a price contingent on a clean PPI (at a Porsche specialty shop).
Old 12-02-2010, 05:06 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kboustani
i would ask if he has pictures before he fixed it.t had to be extensive damage to get totaled,..........
Not necessarily. I'm going through my second totaled vehicle in 6 months (crazy wife) and I'll bet it didn't have to be more than about $8k of repairs to get it totaled, which woukd result in a salvage title, and which would not be much for 964 repairs done right.

Word of advice: Gentlemen, check your ins policies for a little term called "actual cash value"!!!!!!!!!

My wife's $15k retail Explorer just went to $8,300 actual cash value. I'm currently investigating whether I can obtain an agreed/predetermined value in a policy for the Pcar.

Quick Reply: What would be a fair price to offer for a 90 C4 w/salvage title?