Sponsored by:

DIY 1990 C4 for $11K...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:03 PM
batty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY 1990 C4 for $11K...

I went and saw this car two weeks ago. Drove pretty well and then failed the PPI spectacularly. As a result the owner dropped the price from $15.9 to $11k re-listed as of today. Perhaps still not cost effective unless someone was capable of doing most of the work themselves. Which would rule me out for one, and two I found out yesterday one of my dogs has a cancerous mast tumor, so that's where my next $10-15K is going.

Still it might make a good project for one of you guys. Here's the owners latest Craigslist ad.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/2069555217.html

The car is 30 minutes south of Seattle and I've already had a PPI done so I could try and cut and paste results if interested people want to PM me or you could refer to the results at the end of the earlier thread on the subject entitled:

Default PPI over gasket and service history?

(not sure how to plug in the correct URL as all I get in my browser is the forum.rennlist.com address)
Old 11-19-2010, 09:16 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 94 Posts

What was wrong with the PPI? Can you post?
Old 11-19-2010, 11:06 PM
cpace3
Rennlist Member

love to know what the PPI had to say...
Old 11-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by batty
...(not sure how to plug in the correct URL as all I get in my browser is the forum.rennlist.com address)
Right click on the thread name and "Copy Link"

Marc
Old 11-20-2010, 12:03 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by batty
...(not sure how to plug in the correct URL as all I get in my browser is the forum.rennlist.com address)
Right click on the thread name and select "Copy Link"

Marc
Old 11-20-2010, 05:13 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-history.html
Old 11-20-2010, 07:07 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under 7k GBP

Almost impossible to go wrong at that price

Yes it needs some work, but 90% of them do. Would be a great base for someone looking for an RS recreation etc where the brakes and suspension will be junked anyway
Old 11-20-2010, 07:47 AM
batty
Instructor

Yes, there some good bones here. The car just needs a little lovin'. Scanner issues are deep sixing my efforts to get the PPI online. If the car doesn't sell tomorrow to one or two already interested parties, I'll expand on my prior notes with a lengthier summary of the PPI. Or I'll succesfully fix my %^&$ printer!

Someone give this car a good home!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:00 PM
herman maire
Racer

This is pretty tempting, I have a motor ready to drop in to !

Good luck with your dog, I am stunned at how many dogs I hear getting cancer.... its gotta be from the
food. What kind of food do you use? I try to give my dog a human portion of food to avoid using the canned or dry food.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:40 PM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

I emailed the seller yesterday but they have not responded
Old 11-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

This changes the game for this car, IMO. Really, *if* the car is reasonably nice inside and out, you're looking at axles, a major brake job, and fluids. On the top end, I'd want to know more about the findings on the engine and clutch (fluid lines: my '91 has plenty of original lines, and I don't think it's a deathtrap ), but those things may wait for a while. So what, $2-3K, and it's roadworthy. It wouldn't immediately fill the daily driver role, but could be a good solid project. It all just depends on how you want to approach it. I've seen plenty of folks get PPI's on $20K cars that resulted in the same list of dings.

On the more important manner, best wishes for your canine friend. If you need an oncology surgeon, there are none better than Dr. EB Okrasinski. He is based in the South End but travels everywhere in the region. Surgery is all he does, and cancer is his specialty. Every vet I've spoken to praises him highly. His team works closely with the WSU Vet School. My cat had a malignant tumor in his chest several years ago; Dr.O examined him and, even though he's a surgeon, he said there are many cases where that's not the best route, and actually recommended medication instead. I took his advice, and Tyler ended up living many years after that.

http://summitvets.com/team

I'm thinking good thoughts for your pup.
Take care,
Barry
Old 11-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I hope your dog gets healthy soon. I can't imagine my dog getting sick.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:52 PM
ian89C4
Pro

+1

I am also sending goods thoughts towards the pup. I don't consider myself an emotional man, but the thought of my dog getting sick like that tugs at the heart strings. Hope he gets better soon!!

Old 11-22-2010, 08:59 PM
SilvA4Q
Intermediate

+2

I hope your pup gets well soon! I have three little shelties and if something was to happen to them I would be absolutely beside myself. One of my girls had a hole in her heart when we adopted her and after some tender loving care she fought through the heart murmur and is as perfect as can be today. Just ask the squirrels about her overall health, and jumping ability!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:19 PM
batty
Instructor

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Surgery is scheduled a week from tomorrow and in the meantime the plan is to continue to let the prednisone and benedryl do their work shrinking the tumor. We are going to be relentlessly positive and upbeat and kick the living daylights out of this mast cell tumor and then soak in the good vibes of an extra special slice of life together.

As for the 964 C4, I heard back from the seller today and it appears he's in the process of negotiating a deal with one of you Porsche loving Rennlisters, so congratulations. To everyone else who expressed interest, I hope you find your new interesting project right around the corner. It seems lately 993 prices have just about gone through the roof. It wouldn't surprise me at all if 964s are soon to follow suit.

Quick Reply: DIY 1990 C4 for $11K...