Tiptronic. from Neutral to D, clunk - no drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:40 PM
kenloen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tiptronic. from Neutral to D, clunk - no drive

posted on the 911 UK forum also

so this happened during rush hour, was on a hill, moved from N to D and clunk then no drive. In any gear 1,2,3 R the engine revs freely with no forward drag - even Park has no hold. Actually going from D to Park you can hear a grindy kinda noise for a second or 3.

So the AA have relayed me home and as the car is being dragged onto the flat back I can see the nearside driveshaft hanging down at the point where it meets the gearbox

its too dark to see anything more at the moment, but I am hoping it some kinda coupling and not a drive shaft spline (stuck even) or gearbox internals like the diff.. does anyone know the mechanics of this area in depth that can offer any advise.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kenloen
I can see the nearside driveshaft hanging down at the point where it meets the gearbox
Get the CV joint bolted back on to the gearbox and then see if the car goes again .

With one axle hanging , the dif will spin the disconnected output and you will get no power out to a wheel .
Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 AM
kenloen
Intermediate

Good news, well sort of! The 6 hex bolts where the drive shaft flange meets the gearbox flange had come loose. I never took pics but have found a suitable pic on another thread I have borrowed to show.

The bad news is 2 of the bolts have sheared off, I guess those 2 were taking the strain and finally gave up. The good news is I have reseated the shaft, tightened the other 4 and the car works OK with no Diff or CV noise/damage. Am calling the OPC to see if they have replacement bolts, then am gonna have to drill out the remaining threads from the inner flange!
Old 11-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

If you use a dremel with a cut off wheel , you could cut a groove into the bolt so that a screwdriver could be used to unscrew the broken bolt .

Quick Reply: Tiptronic. from Neutral to D, clunk - no drive