Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Stopped Working - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 04:00 PM
time666
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Stopped Working - Please help!

I've just got my first Porsche (964) which has developed a few small probs I want to sort out with hopefully some help!

I have already repaired my rear noisy spoiler by replacing a gear box drive bearing that was shot, using a handy pdf guide I found online.

However this weekends drama was that my sunroof has stopped opening. There is no motor noise at all, just silence when operating the switch, I have checked fuse 13 = ok, removed relay R21 which enables power to dash board switch and this seems ok, I can hear a click when this relay is plugged back in to the socket so the relay internal coil operates and contacts change over. (assume thats ok)

Next thing i was going to check the power to / and switching on the dash board switch, however could not get in out as part of the dash gets in the way when prying out the switch.

Should I persist and remove the switch to check contacts are switching or would it be better to move on to the sunroof motor to test if this is receiving power? (i am not sure how easy it is to access this motor and wiring)

Also i dont feel any positive switching when i press the sunroof button, just resistance, no real click on contacts so to speak, this may be normal though.

power = Fuse 13 to Relay 21 to open/close switch to sunroof motor (not sure if this uses some sort of proximity switches or micro switches to indicate the full open or closed position? (similar to rear spoiler)

Any help / advise much appreciated
Old 11-09-2010, 04:14 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by time666
...I have already repaired my rear noisy spoiler by replacing a gear box drive bearing that was shot, using a handy pdf guide I found online.

However this weekends drama was that my sunroof has stopped opening. There is no motor noise at all, just silence when operating the switch...
First of all, welcome to Rennlist!

Second, can you share the noisy spoiler pdf fix?

Third, if your sunroof problem is electrical, I can't help other that to say the sunroof motor is easy to access, just open the zipper at the back of the headliner...then loosen a few screws on a sound panel that covers the motor...

I recently repaired my sunroof due to pulled cables, here's a link to a photo album of some pictures that might help:
http://picasaweb.google.com/udoreisinger2/Sunroof#
Attached Images   
Old 11-09-2010, 06:25 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My zip wont open!
Old 11-09-2010, 06:31 PM
time666
Racer

Thanks 911Jetta

Please see link for the spoiler fix that I followed. Easy enough and the bearing was only £3, was tough opening the plastic gear box using a kitchen knife though!!

http://p-car.com/diy/spoilerdrive/

So back to my little issue, I am sure that the problem is electrical, anyone know how easy it would be to access the motor itself or am i better trying to pry out the open/close switch to test for voltage there?

The switch snags on the dash on the lower part, so have stepped back and wondered if access to the motor itself is easier?

It was working fine, no problems open + closing then all of a sudden nothing.

Any offers on this one?

Cheers
Old 11-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Second, can you share the noisy spoiler pdf fix?

PS: This worked for me, very well. No more grinding when the spoiler goes up and down. The old bearing was very rusty.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:46 PM
time666
Racer

Hi 911jetta, just clicked your link at the bottom of your post (overlooked this at first). I can now see where the motor is and how this is acessed, cheers!

I will have a go and check the power to the motor next. Just strange there was not warning etc on this problem.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:38 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

...Please see link for the spoiler fix that I followed. Easy enough and the bearing was only £3, was tough opening the plastic gear box using a kitchen knife though!!

Thanks time666 and Rob,
That link is perfect!

Trending Topics

Old 11-10-2010, 12:42 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar sunroof problem many years ago - I opened it one day, but nothing happened when I tried to close it. (By the way, your description of the switch operation - "resistance" rather than a click - is normal).

For me, it was a dodgy electrical connector in the headlining so it's certainly worth checking that.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:43 PM
time666
Racer

Arrrrr now it's getting a bit deep for me!!

I have removed the sunroof switch and checked switching using continuity and the switch is fine, common main power (12v) to switch is there, 12v is switched out on terminal 2 fine, and 4 fine (open + close) terminal 3 is ground, I am confident that the switch is ok.

At the sunroof motor I get 12v (to gound) on a blue wire fine (button pressed to close) but when i test the yellow wire to the sunroof motor, there is no 12volts there (when switch is pressed to open) yet is leaving the sunroof switch?

I found a wiring diagram and found an inline connector under the parcel shelf and is the same there, open = blue live 12v, close = yellow wire with no voltage.

So there seems to be a loss of the 12v signal between the switch and the connector under the parcel shelf.

Only thing that is confusing me is according to the schematic, the colour coding of the wire should be yellow yellow from the switch on the dash right to the motor, except thats not the case, as I have a white wire on the sunroof switch on the terminal that become live to close, this is factory fitted and not been changed that i am confident as within the loom and not been messed with.

Can anyone help me with some pointers with where the circuits go from the switch to the rear of the car (parcel shelf connetor) and any light on my white wire? at the switch (schematic indicates yellow all the way)

Just wonder if there are any more connectors hidden elsewhere.

Model 1990 C2

Any help much appreciated.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:14 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Can anyone help me with some pointers with where the circuits go from the switch to the rear of the car (parcel shelf connetor) and any light on my white wire? at the switch (schematic indicates yellow all the way)
I'm guessing - but when I had issues with my headlight height adjuster, that went to the back of the car via the floor on the drivers side (just below the door). It was a long time ago but I'm sure there was loom stuff in the same area - my guess would be the sunroof switch wiring goes that way.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:23 AM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Hope you get to the bottom of the sunroof problem, if you don't,I have everything including motor of the sunroof for sale, if you need it. As I have stripped my 964.thanks Norm
Old 11-13-2010, 04:46 AM
Sten
Pro

Do you have the UK dealer fitted alarm system with remote locking? The sunroof wiring is spliced above the switch and goes off to a control unit that enables the windows and sunroof to be closed when you lock the car remotely. The control box is one of two tucked away under the bonnet on the drivers side (RHD), follow a piece of wiring loom down past the Central Electric (fusebox) to a space under the carpet in front of where the peadls hinge. Check your wiring from here..
Old 11-14-2010, 05:32 AM
time666
Racer

Thanks for the offer Norm, but i think i'm going to ok for parts. Cheers

Barry,
I think you may have cracked it, I have an alarm and I have a key fob with a button, dont think this works but there is definitely two black boxes fitted 'back to back' in the small area under the fuse carrier enclosure. Makes perfect sense!

I did look at these at some point, but seemed too much electronics to be anything to do with the sunroof, now knowing about the alarm and operation, that must be the offending circuit!

Do you think the alarm picks up the original wiring within the front copmartment? i.e. accesible? As the loom leaves the switch, I cannot trace the wiring loom from under the steering wheel as there is a metal bulkhead covering. I assume the upper dash has to come out to get to wiring at the back of the speedo and these switches from within the car?

If the wiring is spliced in that area, be nice to know how to get to it, if anyone can shed light, that would be great.

Many thanks Barry, that gives me new areas to check.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:41 AM
time666
Racer

I have found the 2 boxes for the UK dealer fitted alarm system. As Barry said below, I think these are the cause of the sunroof which has stopped working, of the 2 wires that go from the switch, must go through these boxes, and this is most likely where I have lost connection / continuity for one of the wires to the sun roof.

Name:  Alarm 1.jpg
Views: 2345
Size:  130.7 KB

Do you know if i can replace these with a modern equivalent, and are the connectors standard? ie easy swap?

And does anyone know what make or model my alarm is? A wiring diagram for this alarm would be really helpful but i don't hold much hope for that!

Name:  Alarm 2.jpg
Views: 3948
Size:  119.4 KB

The alarm does not work anyway and think i need to up-grade, ideally would like to replace the alarm and the hit & miss immobiliser, are these now one box?

Anyone replaced one of these systems before? I would love to hear how it went and if there are any difficulties if fitting.

Name:  Alarm 3.jpg
Views: 2237
Size:  115.9 KB

There is also a small box under the bonnet which is slotted behind the front bumper and this has some kind of tilt switch, certainly has contacts inside that make & break when you shake the box anyway!

Any help appreciated, I'm hoping to sort this one myself (i hope)

Thanks
Tim

Quick Reply: Sunroof Stopped Working - Please help!