Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: 1991 GP white 964 C4

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 PM
batty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bearclaw and 911Jetta, thanks for the nice words about Judah! The gift that keeps on giving.

mroddis, I got both sets. The car had the RUFs on w Conti Extremes and I had my local indie swap 'em out for the Brombachers with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. The car drives phenomenally well. I don't have much experience with 964s (yet!) but some combination between the wider tires, the PSS9s, the Euro Sways and the set up by TruLine has totally dialed out the notorious understeer of the car. It is amazingly neutral and that never ceases to surprise me.

I have to give a shout out to the 3 Mark's involved with my purchase. Rennlist Mark, for restoring and dialing this 964 car to perfection. Mark Aker's at Aker's Porsche/Foreign Automotive for taking the time to talk to me at length about the 964 since he had been servicing it for the past year plus, as well as doing the previous PPI on the car. He was and is a very friendly class act. Another shout goes to yet another Mark, this time the super knowledgeable service manager at Gerber Motorsports, who not only walked me through the PPI but stayed open late on New Year's eve and mounted the Brombachers himself for no charge. Amazing!!!

Nothing like a great buying experience with great people to make an already great car, feel that much better. Ho ho ho....!

Last edited by batty; 01-05-2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: punctuation, word choice
Old 01-05-2011, 12:58 AM
mpotvin
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the kind words Neill! Glad you like the car, It's always nice to know that the new owner appreciates the effort and time put into making it "right". Drive the wheels off of it and see you around Seattle. Mark
Old 01-05-2011, 08:15 AM
batty
Instructor

Mark, I had a ball following the *** end of your new 993 out of Ballard. Those hips look the business! I also had a fun midnight drive, testing out the 4 wheel drive on some cold, rain slick roads- though a few degrees shy of freezing. The 964 C4 is stupidly surefooted and it will take a while for me to feel out where the limits of the 4wd system and the Michelin A/Ss are.

Now, I'm praying we get some snow soon!

Mark, at Gerber Motorsport, couldn't understand why I wanted a 4wd over a RWD (a discussion we've had off and on for months now), and it took him a while to finally tell me what a great car the C4 was because of it. He thought I would be better served by their thoroughly bad *** GP white RS America track car which admittedly seemed as AWESOME as any non GT3 911 I've ever seen. But making like Walter Rohrl at a rally in inclement weather in a daily driver is what I was after in my winter car and after last nights slick late night drive, I know I've found it.

I guess I'll have to wait a few years for a track-centric GT3 or RS America to find its way into the stable.

Last edited by batty; 01-05-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by batty
...I don't have much experience with 964s (yet!) but some combination between the wider tires, the PSS9s, the Euro Sways and the set up by TruLine has totally dialed out the notorious understeer of the car. It is amazingly neutral and that never ceases to surprise me.

I have to give a shout out to the 3 Mark's involved with my purchase.
That set up sounds great, especially for the winter rally machine you want this car to be.

I've have similar experiences, where it seems like strangers (not all named Mark) come out of nowhere to help with the 964 (neighbors, shops, parts stores, etc.).

It's funny because you feel so alone and on-guard when looking for a car, it's a big decision and if it's your first time like me, you tend to worry a lot. Then you buy the car and all of a sudden you meet some of the best people because of it.

...I also had a fun midnight drive, testing out the 4 wheel drive on some cold, slick roads- though a few degrees shy of freezing. The 964 C4 is stupidly surefooted and it will take a while for me to feel out where the limits of the 4wd system and the Michelin A/Ss are.

Now, I'm praying we get some snow soon!

...But making like Walter Rohrl at a rally in inclement weather in a daily driver is what I was after in my winter car and after last nights slick late night drive, I know I've found it.
It's amazing what a 20 year of car can do.
You're my kind of driver!

PS. Mark (mpotvin),
You mention in your ad, "...Ive been using it as a daily driver and need to get something a bit more practical."

So the 993 is your answer? Glad you're still in a Porsche, but I was thinking pickup or 4 door. I'd love to see the look on my wife's face if I sold the 964 for a 993 and said, "honey, it's so much more practical than the old Grey car..."
Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Amazing looking 964! I picked up my 993 from a Rennlister, it really is a great way to buy a Porsche.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:29 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Bearclaw and 911Jetta, thanks for the nice words about Judah! The gift that keeps on giving.

mroddis, I got both sets. The car had the RUFs on w Conti Extremes and I had my local indie swap 'em out for the Brombachers with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. The car drives phenomenally well. I don't have much experience with 964s (yet!) but some combination between the wider tires, the PSS9s, the Euro Sways and the set up by TruLine has totally dialed out the notorious understeer of the car. It is amazingly neutral and that never ceases to surprise me.

I have to give a shout out to the 3 Mark's involved with my purchase. Rennlist Mark, for restoring and dialing this 964 car to perfection. Mark Aker's at Aker's Porsche/Foreign Automotive for taking the time to talk to me at length about the 964 since he had been servicing it for the past year plus, as well as doing the previous PPI on the car. He was and is a very friendly class act. Another shout goes to yet another Mark, this time the super knowledgeable service manager at Gerber Motorsports, who not only walked me through the PPI but stayed open late on New Year's eve and mounted the Brombachers himself for no charge. Amazing!!!

Nothing like a great buying experience with great people to make an already great car, feel that much better. Ho ho ho....!
I think you're approach is awesome! Winter rally!

As for the neutrality of the car, setup certainly is everything. I wouldn't pretend to know a thing about it but when I had the H&R Greens installed with the 18-inch wheels and tires I asked the shop for a Euro RS alignment. I couldn't believe the difference. Totally different car with eager but smooth turn-in and it even rides better if you can believe it!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:32 PM
mpotvin
Rennlist Member

911Jetta, My wife is very understanding of my Porsche isues.... She thought the 964 was a litttle too "set up" and I drive my two daughters to school everyday plus she drives it as well...occaisionally. She's always liked the 993 and felt it was better for every day use. Who am I to argue!! Although I do have to say that from my perspective, I like the 964 for low end torque and the clutch and tranny are better, plus the 964 was really well set up. Oh Well
Old 01-05-2011, 01:12 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Thanks for the reply Mark!

That's what I thought...when you're really into P-cars like we are there are very specific differences between each generation, heck even each car within a generation. To my wife, they all look like VW Beetles. I see your point.

Glad you're still in a sweet looking Porsche (let me guess, white is the fastest color?!)
Old 01-05-2011, 03:16 PM
mpotvin
Rennlist Member

of course!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark Aker's at Aker's Porsche/Foreign Automotive for taking the time to talk to me at length about the 964 since he had been servicing it for the past year plus, as well as doing the previous PPI on the car. He was and is a very friendly class act. Another shout goes to yet another Mark, this time the super knowledgeable service manager at Gerber Motorsports, who not only walked me through the PPI but stayed open late on New Year's eve and mounted the Brombachers himself for no charge. Amazing!!!
I've used both places. You are spot on, they are both great guys running really good shops.

Enjoy that thing!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 AM
batty
Instructor

Originally Posted by SuperUser
Amazing looking 964! I picked up my 993 from a Rennlister, it really is a great way to buy a Porsche.
Yeah, I'm hooked on the Rennlist way and better become a paying member by the time I hit send on this message. It is just unbelievably cool to go back and read years worth of history on a car you are interested in and see the process that the previous owner went through. It's priceless.

I was corresponding with a seller in Aberdeen, WA about another GP White 964 when he mentioned it was bhraini's old 964 from Rennlist and it had been hit but the whole history of the repair was documented. And so it was and it was a fascinating read and by the end of it I was willing to overlook the accident because the rennlister at the time had obviously poured a lot of love and effort into getting his car back. (BTW, car is still available for $15k on CL, and I heard back from Brian the prior rennlist owner and who now lives overseas and he said he had sold it to the present owner for 13k because of pretty bad engine leaks, and a good size dent in the drivers side door. Which is still there, though the present owner has added springs and 18s but I digress (and kick back a little info to the community too in case anyone is considering or wants to consider that car...)

Anyway, about that time Mark's car came along and after perusing all his 964 posts all the way back to the day he bought the car, I knew to focus my attention on the Seattle car instead. Mark had so many WTB posts, dozens it seemed, most for various interior trim parts, that he was obviously fastidious, detail oriented and obsessive in a way I would never be and they always included the message inside, "Must be mint."

Goldmine!! It was a stretch when earlier I said Mark set the car up exactly the way I would have. He did it much better, and much more thoroughly than I would have and through Rennlist it was easy to see that. I better shut up now and pay up...later.

And thanks Rennlist, I owe you one!

Last edited by batty; 01-06-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: CL ad price drop
Old 01-06-2011, 09:36 AM
batty
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
It's amazing what a 20 year of car can do.
It really is. The pick-up in 3rd gear above 4000RPM is, as I think someone else called it, a freak show. The handling is on rails. So much tractable power everywhere. And the body solid as a tank. I often think of it as an updated 2010 version of an air-cooled classic and then I hit a pothole and I'm reminded that the car or at least a fair bit of it really is 2 decades old. Though that really might be the stiffness of whatever the PSS9s are set at. Hence Mark's need for a more practical 993!

And without further ado a few obligatory new owner shots. Notice the updated side mirrors, the Brombachers and the new windshield seems.

now check out the trick 993 rear brake light

the stablemate atop the mountain to sound greenaway...

together at last, the 964 Carrera 4 and the 987 Spyder. The perfect two season cars for our two season NW climate.

And no, the spyder isn't leaking. That's a leftover from someone else. Did I mention I wasn't as fastidious as Mark...

and finally, the new to me 964 on New Years Eve a scant 2 hours after I bought it, wearing new shoes and looking off into the distance at the last rays of 2010...

Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 PM
speedbagger
Rennlist Member

looks great!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:49 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 111 Posts

Great looking car, congrats.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Nski
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that;-) Are they Carographic wheels?

Quick Reply: FS: 1991 GP white 964 C4