Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Cab child seat center anchor - ROW?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 964 Cab child seat center anchor - ROW? **Updated-Custom LATCH/belt bar fabricated

Hello, there have been several threads about the rear child seat tether anchor point being there but hidden under insulation. All the threads showing the spot are coupes and when someone brings up a cab, the thread dies.

So friends in Canada, Australia and Rest of world....

Can anyone please tell me where the center rear child tether is to be anchored on the 964 cab? Was there one provided or an addendum in your owner's manual showing the location?

Thanks in advance

Laker

'91 964 Cab
(built 30-Nov-90)

Last edited by Laker; 02-10-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably not there on a cab because all the motors are back there. I betcha Porsche didn't bother back then, but have to now since the laws have changed
Old 03-22-2011, 05:38 PM
vasculardoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is there and I think I posted some photos if the position on my car about 18 months ago - I'll see if I can find the pictures and repost. The whole car seat thing is a nightmare in cabs as there is no sash belt, but there are a couple of work arounds - none perfect but boh probably reasonably safe.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:34 AM
vasculardoc
Instructor

Here are some pics - One of the work arounds is to leave the belt attached to the anchor point, but long enough so it is cinched in place by the cab roof when it is in the lowered position - it means the cab roof acts as part of the restraining mechanism, but it seems very tough and solid when it is in place. There is another option that the previous owner used which was a fabricated bar between the seatbelt anchors that has a hook on it for the anchor belt. It works well also. The main down side of the anchor point where it is - is that it tends to damage the rear window when the cab roof is down - I get around it by putting a piece of rubber sponge over it when it is down but it still puts a divot in the window. I guess its the price we pay.
The up side is that if you put the seat in the front of the car, with the roof up - there is a totally secure way of the seat being attached. Mine mainly lives here now as my wife would rather drive her Cayenne TT than be a passenger in my 964 - my son has no such concerns :-))))))

I will try and do a picture of the seat in-situ and another one with the bar in place to show what it is like.

Cheers,

Mark
Attached Images       
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 AM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Mark did you have those mounting points installed ? or were they there ?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 AM
vasculardoc
Instructor

I got someone to cut the holes in the carpeting, but the actual screw points are there already and welded to the parcel shelf, they are under a bit of foam/insulation I think.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Mark , I did confirm that the anchor point is there on my 91 cab.
my boys are past the child seat stage , but would like them to have a shoulder belt.

That anchor point is in the middle of the seat so a shoulder belt would not work.
but I was thinking about a 3 point racing harness. I have seen a few of them that might work , but I think the lap belts will be too long even though they look to be adjustable.

Anyone have any ideas ?
Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

No such luck with a Porsche provided child seat tether anchor point,
Mark (vasculardoc) did a great job above, post #4 making his own. I'm just not keen on having the folding roof in contact with the back strap, so my mechanic had a custom bar fabricated. I'm very happy to be done with this topic.....

Quick Reply: 964 Cab child seat center anchor - ROW?