Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with unusual car

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which is illegal to do any more. You cannot personally import and non-US car for personal use with a few exceptions, which a non US 964 is not likely to meet.

I am looking at the US PET 964 catalog and all they show for the 964 is the H4 headlamp assembly, no alternates, notes, or supers.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:56 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ken D
Bruce Anderson will tell you a ROW/gray market car should be priced less than a comparable USA model due to lack of support from the servicing dealers. This makes sense for older models that were not offered in the USA, making parts availability an issue. But in this case because the 964 was offered concurrently in the US and ROW, your gray-market car will have few differences, certainly nothing that would equate to a substantial price adjustment.

Personally I would even consider paying slightly more if it had desirable 'lightweight' features like no sunroof, no A/C, and cloth interior, but that is really a matter of finding the right buyer who values these features.

The engine will have the same power output as a US model. Even if it didn't originally have a catalytic converter, the EPA/DOT certification would have required one to be added in addition to the lambda sensor.

not sure parts availability/dealer support is an issue (cars are all about the same, and who uses porsche dealers for support in any event) ....as Porsche N.Amer gets all its parts from the same depot (on hand or germany). so any porsche dealer can order any available part...

canadians have a free pass to import any car with production date 15 yrs or older, regardless of spec (thats why here in town we have some most amazing twin turbo supras from japan, right hand drive), i think for USA must be over 25 yrs unless (in this case porsche n.amer.) confirms car built to n.amer specs.

there is no issue with getting parts for any 964 anywhere whether euro ( which is also asian, and lots of japanese porsche here because of high quality maintenance -low mileage) version or n.amer. version imo

Last edited by raspberryroadster; 09-21-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: missed
Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
I am looking at the US PET 964 catalog and all they show for the 964 is the H4 headlamp assembly, no alternates, notes, or supers.
Looks like more ill-advice.

US PET:
911 631 119 00 US Headlight Assembly
911 631 909 00 US Headlight Unit

German PET:
911 631 113 02 German Headlight Assembly
911 631 024 00 German Headlight Assembly with hight adjustment

You can buy the H4 Assembly from Pelican Parts:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0

and here is the disclaimer from Pelican Parts:

Most replacement parts for H4s are unavailable in the United States due to import restrictions on the parts. Porsche will not import replacement parts that were only used on European cars for DOT concerns. As a result, only a few replacement H4 parts are available. If you would like to replace the retaining ring, reflector, or even the outer black or chrome ring, you will need to purchase an entire H4 assembly. The H4s have an additional small bulb inside the assembly that is used for daytime running lights on European cars. The US-spec cars do not have the wiring installed to utilize this feature of the H4s. Please Note: These units Do Not come with Bulbs. You will need part number 999-631-034-90-M44 below.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Looks like more ill-advice.

US PET:
911 631 119 00 US Headlight Assembly
911 631 909 00 US Headlight Unit

German PET:
911 631 113 02 German Headlight Assembly
911 631 024 00 German Headlight Assembly with hight adjustment

You can buy the H4 Assembly from Pelican Parts:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg1.htm#item0

and here is the disclaimer from Pelican Parts:

I am not sure where you are getting your info from but it's not right.

1991 the US allowed H4s Maybe an 89-90 still had seal beams.

However,

I can promise you the stock replacement light for my 1991 964 is a H4
Old 09-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by raspberryroadster
not sure parts availability/dealer support is an issue (cars are all about the same, and who uses porsche dealers for support in any event) ....
I agree it's not any longer, and probably wasn't by the time of the 964, which was the point I was making.
But it was the case for the older 'gray market' models that were never officially imported to the US, like the Carrera 3.0.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
I can promise you the stock replacement light for my 1991 964 is a H4
If your car is USA-spec, then the stock replacement light is an H5, not an H4. If your car has H4 lamps then it's been converted by a previous owner.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken D
If your car is USA-spec, then the stock replacement light is an H5, not an H4. If your car has H4 lamps then it's been converted by a previous owner.
100% correct
Old 09-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Yes, that is correct, I don't know what I was thinking and when I double check references I had one say 4s and one say 5s. Nevermind, I hope no one was injured or killed by this, I will go stand in the corner now.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

The biggest issue with early grey market cars was the 5 year exemption. A US resident could import a car 5 years or older once in their lifetime and it was exempt from EPA requirements to enter the country but still needed to comply with local smog requirements. If your state had none great. DOT required headlights to conform along with added door side impact bar installation and impact absorbing bumper shocks as a minimum. If the model had adjustable headlight height this needed to be removed and appropriate marker lights and properly colored lenses installed. Weight reduction was minimal and usually was the result of less safety equipment required to be added to meet DOT requirements. Although many botch jobs made it through without question.

Anderson always said a grey market car should be worth less. Some insurance companies will value a grey market car less than half of a US car. If insurance isn't an issue there is no reason to value it differently so late in it's life. A good car is a good car.

Agreed that H5's were only allowed on 964 and were used and required on the 3.2 Carrera since 1988.

Quick Reply: help with unusual car