964 afm to 993 MAF Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:16 AM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 afm to 993 MAF Part 2.

Ok,
I have read the prvious thread regarding this and couldn't find the answer I was looking for despite the 6 pages of posts.

So, without this thread descending into a **** fight over the various merits of converting to MAF and whether it is or isn't a waste of time can someone please give a straight answer.

Thing is, my 964 AFM is probably getting passed it's use by date (It has been pulled apart and adjusted several times and I'd like to get back to 'standard' setting to allow a chip to be made up to optimise tuning) A 993MAF new on eBay is around $150 so this seems like a sensible replacement. A MAF converison kit (Cheapest I can find new is in Germany on eBay for around $1k) is much more and hence the desirabilty of the 993 MAF as a replacement. If I get a few more ponies then great. Buying an authority type set up with chip included seems a waste as I have exhaust mods, intake mods and now camshafts so i would need a new chip made up anyway.

So, the 964 MAF conversion on Ebay from DMEshop in Germany looks like a basic MAF with the connecting wire attached, ie no chip required SO

Question one.

Can you use a 993 MAF on a 964 (answer appears to be yes)

Question two

How to wire up?

Question 3

Will it run on stock chip, previous mod chip? If not, what is the difference.

Question 4.

If not, can Steve Wong etc sort out what is required to make it run correctly.

Thanks all.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:01 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd ask Steve Wong himself. He was super helpful, first attempting to help me with my Authothority setup issues (P.O. installation - result unsuccessful) then later doing a standard AFM chip setup.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

My previous 964 with big cams had a 993 intake set up and chip from Rob at S Car Go and that car was fast and the AFR's were perfect. I don't have the dyno run sheet on this computer but I have posted it here before. I would call Rob.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:29 PM
mnmasotto
Rennlist Member

Default MAF Conversion

The MAF will send a different signal (i.e. voltage) to the ECU. For a given air flow (CFM) the AFM may give a 3V signal whereas the MAF may send a 4V signal (example). The chip or signal converter which comes with the kit will translate the MAF value to the AFM value. Without this conversion box/chip the ECU will give the incorrect amount of fuel. The wiring is really very straight forward. All you need is the conversion tables and Steve Wong can make you the correct chip. He did it for me and it worked great. The MAF kits without the converter box have the emualtion software in the custom chip. If the chip is encrypted you are stuck trying the sort it all out on a dyno. Thsi can be very time consuming and costly.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:43 PM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I run a 993 MAF and it also works great. Todd Knighton of protomotive did the install and the reprogramming. I would give him a call as he can answer all your questions.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:35 PM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Thank you all very much.

Any further info on the actual wiring changes required?
ie, can I DIY and then get a chip made up.....

Cheers
Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Mike Hall
Intermediate

Any more info on this topic? I too have been eyeballing the cheap 993 MAFs and if Steve can tune a custom chip to change the ECU to work with the signals that the MAF sends then it shouldn't be that hard to get it working. Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Mike Hall
Intermediate

I have been thinking about this so call signal processor which I bet is nothing more than a voltage regulator that lowers the fluctuating voltage put out by the MAF to a lower voltage that would have been put out by the AFM. I could be way off but looking at some of the signal processors that are provided with some kits it cant be more more than that.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the perfect answer but some more info nonetheless ...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...m-993-maf.html
Old 03-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

FWIW, I ended up going the MAF kit from eBay.
Does the job fine, no issues, eay to set up. Probably no power gain that I can feel but as my OEM air flow meter was cactus, I was after a replacement rather than a performance mod.
I have since had Steve Wong sort a chip for me which we have installed but yet to run as a cyclist rearranged the front of my car (whilst my car was basically standstill) in January and I am still getting the car sorted. Hopefully back next week in time to cruise to the Australian GP....

Quick Reply: 964 afm to 993 MAF Part 2.